No social life = IB diploma?

Lan

Last year I kind of did, I went to parties now and then. Now hmmm... does procrastinating in this forum count as being social??

lol good question:p Having a social life does not necessarily mean going out partying and getting drunk. It simply means being able to balance having a good time with friends- be that partying, or playing a sport - all that counts towards your social life. forcing yourself to socialize for CAS doesn't count :wtf:

i confess as a 2nd year ib student, I HAVE NO SOCIAL LIFE!

but mainly its because of my parents reactions when i ask, heres a quick summary:

me:hey mum/dad, can i go out on >insert date<, its for >insert function here<.

them/one of them: WHAT!? IF YOU HAVE SO MUCH FREE TIME THEN DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE SUCH AS CLEANING THE HOUSE, DOING YOUR CHORES, BLAH BLAH BLAH

-end story.-

which brings me to my conclusion that i have no social life, not because i don't want to or i'm so overwhelmed by work. but rather the fact that my parents pretty much go berserk when i ask. but i can see why, they are paying large amounts of money for my education~~~ oh well *sigh, the fun starts at uni!

p.s- the scenario only applies during school terms, holidays i have some freedom.

i confess as a 2nd year ib student, I HAVE NO SOCIAL LIFE!

but mainly its because of my parents reactions when i ask, heres a quick summary:

me:hey mum/dad, can i go out on >insert date<, its for >insert function here<.

them/one of them: WHAT!? IF YOU HAVE SO MUCH FREE TIME THEN DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE SUCH AS CLEANING THE HOUSE, DOING YOUR CHORES, BLAH BLAH BLAH

-end story.-

which brings me to my conclusion that i have no social life, not because i don't want to or i'm so overwhelmed by work. but rather the fact that my parents pretty much go berserk when i ask. but i can see why, they are paying large amounts of money for my education~~~ oh well *sigh, the fun starts at uni!

p.s- the scenario only applies during school terms, holidays i have some freedom.

Most Ibers do not have a social life if they want to succeed. Those that do IB AND have a social life just means that they're smart, can manage their time extremely well OR they just don't care if they fail IB or not.

I think IB1 is not so bad. The only reason I seem to be sleeping at 12-1 every day is because I procrastinate way too much. I still manage to find time for volunteering, sports and music.

Mistyrose you just finished your second week of IB1, wait till october. After a few months you will understand why someone created this forum and appropriately called it 'IB survival" :hmmph:

Most Ibers do not have a social life if they want to succeed. Those that do IB AND have a social life just means that they're smart, can manage their time extremely well OR they just don't care if they fail IB or not.

so true! i know a couple of the girls in my class (yes, there's only one yr12 ib class in my school, we're the guinea pigs!) that are always talking about going out on the weekend or some party, but their grades reflect it :hmmph:

and for the others well i just envy the fact that they've got the brains AND the time to have fun~

still...i wonder if i'd be able to go out next weekend :D it's my friends b'day after all~ *fingers crossed.

then again considering that my ee draft is due in the next 2 wks and i just changed from bio to economics...probably not.

so true! i know a couple of the girls in my class (yes, there's only one yr12 ib class in my school, we're the guinea pigs!) that are always talking about going out on the weekend or some party, but their grades reflect it :hmmph:

and for the others well i just envy the fact that they've got the brains AND the time to have fun~

still...i wonder if i'd be able to go out next weekend :D it's my friends b'day after all~ *fingers crossed.

then again considering that my ee draft is due in the next 2 wks and i just changed from bio to economics...probably not.

In conclusion, IBers will generally have a better life. However they will tend to lack good communication skills and some will turn into brainy nerds that cannot communicate with people. So IB = Horrible. Please excuse me, I'm under extreme stress at the moment.

In conclusion, IBers will generally have a better life. However they will tend to lack good communication skills and some will turn into brainy nerds that cannot communicate with people. So IB = Horrible. Please excuse me, I'm under extreme stress at the moment.

HEY!

I disagree with you about communication skills and turning into brainy nerds. Maybe, it happens to some people but I know a lot of people who are still extremely social because they are very fun and playful in my school. I am currently taking IB theater as one of my courses and I'm sure that's helping me become a better speaker and whatnot. I am also in Student council serving as the school's Public Relations Officer. So, I don't think IBers lack good communication skills...

then again... we're all different....

• 2 weeks later...

I think it really depends on your definition of a social life. I'm perfectly content with just being with my friends, seeing them at school, talking to them at lunch, freaking out with them over assignments, and then OCCASIONALLY going out with them. Some people's definition of a social life probably entails only going out and partying. In that case, I can safely say that most IB kids do not have one. But the bonds we form with other IB kids in the programme go deep and I really think that it's better to establish these friendships that'll LAST rather than the short-term high school friendships most people have.

Edited by greaterthaninfinity

I still have a social life, but it's more like hanging out with my best friend and my family. I'm typically doing something every other weekend (CAS takes up that other weekend, normally school events), like going to the movies or pizza or something. I write letters quite alot and spend an hour or two on the phone with my best friend (who doesn't do IB).

Plus I'm the sort of person who enjoys being alone, so my spare time is my time to do the things I really enjoy and to just take a breather from people.

• 1 month later...
Guest Sniffles

Is it just me, or are IB students stereotyped to have no lives? There's the workload, but teachers have been saying that their homework COULD be done within an hour.

So..what is everyone's opinions on this? Did you have to make any sacrifices (quit hobbies, etc) for IB?

Yeah I did. I had to give up competitive figure skating when I started IB1 (couldn't handle minimum 9 hours of practice every week on top of school).

But I still started dating my current boyfriend while in IB, went to parties, went on dates, had girl's night outs, etc. My social life didn't suffer too much.

It's all subjective, but as an IB graduate, I feel it was very much worth it.

Edited by __inthemaking