No social life = IB diploma?

Lan

by no means i want to get into your personal life, first of all. i was just wondering, you know, as a IB student, we have to undergo a lot of pressures. we want to do great in every perspectives, but does that mean we have to spend 18 hours on school works? a lot of my friends don't study at all, and guess what they make on their report cards? 100 or above. that is crazy!! one of my girlfriends ( female friends) study literally 6 hours or more, and she said it is worth it. personally, i study at the last minute, and just like a normal human being, i didn't do so hot, of course. i mean, do you have to give up your social life to trade for that diploma? if that's true, do you think it is worth it? and of course, please answer the question I'd putted on my title. thanks

oh...hmm...fr me,im quite picky on what hw shall i do n th others,i basically wont do it or just read othr people works...

so,it will reduce my workload,...hmm..basically,its all about prioritizing...i dun really believe in doing all the hw given will help u...its better to choose one who u believe will help,,n spend ur remaining time fr somethng else...that u njoy doing n yet still beneficial..

I don't consistently spend 200 hours a week for school. There are some weeks (e.g. this week) where I'm swamped with stuff - 2 World Lit Papers, Math Portfolio, Physics final and History final exam (2 essays) were all due this week, and I have SATs tomorrow, so I've been busy and not having much of a "life" outside school work, but there are also lighter weeks where I spend much less time on schoolwork because no major assignments are due. So you can definitely have an active social life, but not for all 52 weeks of the year.

Edited by Agneisse

When major assignments are due then obviously I dedicated basically my whole weekend to finishing them. But I also procrastinate a lot, and even when working on IAs, I'll be listening to music, chatting on MSN, loading a tv show to watch online etc. So it takes me forever to finish something that could've been finished in half the time if I had cut out all the distractions. But I find that without distractions, I just get restless and I HAVE to multitask in order to get anything done. Weird, but that's just me.

On average I would say that I spent anywhere between 3 hours/day doing homework (including all of my distractions) to 5 hours/day when there were major assignments/tests.

I didn't really go out most weekends though..maybe to a birthday party like once every couple months. But during breaks (winter break, spring break, post-exam break, etc) I went out a lot and it pretty much made up for it. I would say it's worth it, because now I'm done and I got to finish 1.5 months earlier than the rest of my school lol.

I , for one, do not procrastinate as much as most of the other students in my school and I have time on weekend to do stuff with my friends. However this was not the case 10 months ago as making the transition from gr10 regular to gr11 IB helped me develop better time management skills.

I'm sure the same will apply to you if you put effort into it.

Good Luck :yes:

oh I just noticed how I did everything but answer your question. My bad... ^^"

Well on average I spend about 1-2 hours on homework each weekday.

I try to do all my assignments/prepare for tests as soon as they are set (although procrastination often gets in the way!) because I like to get everything done, or at least started, to reduce the workload later, as I know it will be worse if I leave it to the last minute.

For some subjects I don't always do all the work, like for Maths SL I often don't do all the questions as I don't have to hand them up or anything.

Of course I sometimes have times when I don't do an assignment until one or two days before it's due, but that's usually because I have been drowning in heaps and heaps of other homework.

I think I spend about 2-4 hours a night on homework, it really depends on what I have due, what tests, if I have anything after school etc. Like the other day I had four tests all on the same day, so the day before I was basically doing work once I got home from band practice until 11:30pm.

I'm usually doing something every weekend, so I at least still get to relax a bit in between doing homework. I haven't given up my social life for IB and I hope that doesn't change!!

Edited by youcantstopthebeat

Well I'd say I do about 2-3 hours of homework on week nights and on weekends i spend 4-5 hours studying, reviewing, and doing work.

But by no means do I give up my social life. I keep Friday nights free except for during exam periods, and even during exam periods I find the time on a weekend to get out for a few hours. For example, I have 6 exams this coming week but I had time to go watch the Euro's Switzerland-Czech on the big screen in the city this afternoon.

ohh man, i just hope i can concentrate on my homework for ONCE.

this is how i do my homework

get back home

switches on the PC

goes facebooking and chatting and listening to music

switches off facebook

continues to listen to music and chat

and do my homework

when continues to listen to music and chats

ohh man, i just hope i can concentrate on my homework for ONCE.

this is how i do my homework

get back home

switches on the PC

goes facebooking and chatting and listening to music

switches off facebook

continues to listen to music and chat

and do my homework

when continues to listen to music and chats

so how long does it take for you to do your homeworks?

believe it or not. i rarely do my homeworks. if i have to, i would do partially. not a wise decision huh? but if i really set my mind towards it (like i really need an A on this test), i can study for hours with only 4 or less hours to sleep. crazy, huh?

I try to do all my assignments/prepare for tests as soon as they are set (although procrastination often gets in the way!) because I like to get everything done, or at least started, to reduce the workload later, as I know it will be worse if I leave it to the last minute.

For some subjects I don't always do all the work, like for Maths SL I often don't do all the questions as I don't have to hand them up or anything.

Of course I sometimes have times when I don't do an assignment until one or two days before it's due, but that's usually because I have been drowning in heaps and heaps of other homework.

I think I spend about 2-4 hours a night on homework, it really depends on what I have due, what tests, if I have anything after school etc. Like the other day I had four tests all on the same day, so the day before I was basically doing work once I got home from band practice until 11:30pm.

I'm usually doing something every weekend, so I at least still get to relax a bit in between doing homework. I haven't given up my social life for IB and I hope that doesn't change!!

i understand exactly what you are talking about. i have a lot of classmates and friends that are in band. band seriously takes up a lot of time. but my friends enjoy every bit of it, but come on!! 4 hours of practice every day after school, that is insane!! ( it lasts from 2 to 6) no joke!! and plus, all these works they have for IB, almost every day they would stay up until 12A.M to finish their works and studies. one time it was outrageous, my friend stayed up until 4 a.m to finish up a project!! that means she only have 2 or less hours to sleep!! ( school starts at 7 and she have to get up and eat breakfast etc) i was in band for 3 years, but i just don't have a thing for it, but i'm glad you enjoy it and stick with it (if you do) :D

believe it or not. i rarely do my homeworks. if i have to, i would do partially. not a wise decision huh? but if i really set my mind towards it (like i really need an A on this test), i can study for hours with only 4 or less hours to sleep. crazy, huh?

i did the same!! but now im considerin to change next term...coz it was really stressful before some important exams and i stayed up everyday before exams.

Being in IB doesn't mean you don't have a life out of school, really. It's just about setting your priorities and not procrastinating that much. I'm not talking about not procrastinating AT ALL, but at least not TOO MUCH. that makes the difference. In my personal experience, you can still manage to do quite a lot of the things you want to do [hang out with friends, go to parties, to the movies, have a girlfriend/boyfriend, yatta yatta yatta] IF you're able to do what you have to do first. So, if yo use your time wisely it won't kill you. For example, i don't spend more than two hours the most doing homework, on a daily basis. Of course, sometimes it s more if i'm chatting or watching tv and stuff, or if i procrastinate a lot and leave things for the last minute (which i dont usually do), but IB isn't that much of a time consumer tbh.

I am studying in a british school in Shanghai which opened 2 years ago. And this is the first year they have started IB. And they suck at it! I have barely learnt anything this year. I don't get much homework either. So unlike all of you, i spend about less than 1 hr a day doing work. And the social life in Shanghai is amazing! So therefore i am busy enjoying myself here.

But now, I am starting to get worried. I wish my school was more strict so we can learn something. I really want to pass my diploma with a good grade. But I think with this school, i cannot get good grades! And its really starting to piss me off! :P

I am studying in a british school in Shanghai which opened 2 years ago. And this is the first year they have started IB. And they suck at it! I have barely learnt anything this year. I don't get much homework either. So unlike all of you, i spend about less than 1 hr a day doing work. And the social life in Shanghai is amazing! So therefore i am busy enjoying myself here.

But now, I am starting to get worried. I wish my school was more strict so we can learn something. I really want to pass my diploma with a good grade. But I think with this school, i cannot get good grades! And its really starting to piss me off! :P

Wow, I live in Shanghai too. Which british school are you talking about?

But now, I am starting to get worried. I wish my school was more strict so we can learn something. I really want to pass my diploma with a good grade. But I think with this school, i cannot get good grades! And its really starting to piss me off! ;)

couldn't you go to another ib school in shanghai?

I tend to be doing hw for a few hrs each night but on fridays i dont do any ( unless exam)

On weekends unfortunatly i always have hw or revision to do..It really depends on the person how much revision they want to do , which then affects how much time you spend and how much of a social life you have

i am a hardcore procrastinator..if i actually concentrate and try to finish all my hw without my computer/tv/napping..i'd be done ine like 1-2 hours usually... however. i do try and keep a social life. i keep a part time job, hang out with my friends 2-3 times a week, go to chinese school, volunteer, go to church on sundays and fellowship on fridays......

I also try to do all my assignments/prepare for tests as soon as they are set, because I hate to do homework when I'm tired. In general, I spend around 2-3 hours of homework/weekday. However, I hardly do any IB homework. Since I just want to pass the test and get the diploma (I don't care about the grades), the first priority is to do well in my regular German classes (I'm in a school where the IB is just kind of an add-on to the German high school diploma).