Biology HL TZ2 paper 1 paper 2

madame_lexie

How did you guys find it? I'm really happy with my performance :) Think I got a 7. Only thing that bugged me is how much genetics they included in paper 1 and in paper 2! I didnt study that topic really well. But overall I found both papers easy. Which questions did you do in section B? I did Q6 and Q7.

• Like 1

I did the water one, Water properties, water transport in plant and !!water properties for light-dependent reactions!!. My biggest concern is the third one, since it did not appear in syllabus and I was so worried about my answer, it decide wether I'm going to get a 7 or 6 in paper 2. Anyone can provide key?!

They were ok for me, hope I'll get a 7!

And yes, both papers were relatively easy, however I'm not confident with some multiple choices, as I think they were a bit tricky...

About paper 2, I did question 5 and 7. Some of these questions were almost a gift, as they were very very similar to the ones which appeared in previous years. If you looked at them and to the markscheme, then these can be 7/8 points easy...

As for me, I don't think I'll get full marks, but definitely a major part of them...

So in total, I'm expecting to lose about 10/12 points in whole paper 2, and like 5 points in paper 1. Hope that will be enough for the so desired 7!

I am so glad I took extra time to study plants and reproduction (even though we kinda rushed through these topics in class), because they literally saved me in section B. Not sure why there was a question about translation in prokaryotes, I only remember learning about that process in eukaryotes.

Question about pancreatic cancer cells kind of killed me (at least point b and c) but besides that, P2 was alright.

For P1, I think that from year to year the questions become more contrived and tricky. About a third of my answers were chosen by elimination of other choices, not by knowing that a given answer truly was correct...

Yeah, I deduced quite a lot of answers in paper 1 by eliminating the wrong ones - mainly in genetics because I did know the answers. I had a feeling that there was 1 or 2 questions which had more than 1 correct answer. For example, the question on why the body shivers - I was debating between involuntary muscle contractions when body is too cold or to generate heat. Aren't both answers correct? I chose to generate heat.

Regarding the role of water in LDR, I talked about photolysis and outlined the entire LDR reaction.

Didnt the question ask for why the body shivers, by 'why' I think they meant 'of what benefit' it is....

I also did the LDR question and outlined the whole reaction along with things about Photolysis and why it's important.

I thought P1 was actually quite tricky, felt nowhere near as confident with it as I have with past paper 1 where I usually only from a couple of marks. I know I got the comparison between platyhe..... and annelidas wrong but other than that i'm not sure.

I also did the transcription in prokaryotes and said DNA Polymerase was the enzyme :(. I thought the rest of P2 was very nice and really liked the data analysis question.

Praying it's worth at least a 6....

I found paper 1 to be quite challenging.... There were some questions were I was not sure on. For example the DNA replication question. Do you remember which answer you put? I think I had B, since D and C the direction did not fit with the anti-paralell.

Paper 2 could have been better, and I thought the theoretic gene question in it took too long in proportion to the marks rewarded to it. Overall I think paper 1 was way more challenging than in the last years, and paper 2 was ok

• Like 2

Yeah, I too made a mistake with the platyhelminthes - the person who decided to include that topic on IB syllabus was a sadist. Who studies that anyway? So much memorisation for measly 1-2 points on P1.

Madame_lexie, I also answered a question with photolysis and used exactly the same strategy. Loved the question about water, but I am not sure if I get 4 points for the properties.

I thought both paper 1 and 2 were alright :) Messed up on a question or two in multiple choice (realised in paper two, which was really annoying!) I was so happy that genetics came up on paper 2, I absolutely love it! Data analysis was ok on the whole I think. I did 5 and 6 in section B because I had written the 8 markers the day before as a practice! :D

Hoping for a high 6 in paper 1 and hopefully a 7 in paper 2

Yup, P1 was kind of tricky. I mean, usually multiple choice questions took me little time - like working with question bank I was able to do like 100 questions in an hour (+checking answers, chatting at fb etc.) and here it took me a while. Yeah, I used elimination in many cases too...like for example this with action potential...isn't only pumping of sodium connected with this one directly? So I took sth with neurotransmitters ;p.

And with those animal taxa a... and p... I also didn't learn it. The names are simply too difficult to remember so I didn't even bother. I choose the answer D with mouth and anus, just because it was funny (but wrong I guess).

P2 was ok. I didn't quite get this part with uptake of glucose/fructose in ribosomes, but tried to make sth up. Section B was rather easy, I just went with ones that I felt I can write the most about - 5 (with vaccination, prokaryote, and yes, prokaryotic transcription is in the syllabus ;)) and 8 with transport across membranes, lh/fsh and placenta.

Edited by lilianna009
  • Like 1

The answer D about the classification is actually the right one haha

What were the choices available for the DNA replication question? I dont quite remember the one I got...

EDIT: I remembered now.

The answer was the one who said that phosphate group would attach to the sugar group of the nucleotide in the strand... Basically it was more elimination than anything...

Edited by jinye
  • Like 1

I chose that both Sodium and Potassium ions enter the cell, but many people chose the one with the depolarization of the membrane by a neurotransmitter so i am not really sure about that one either. An I am pretty sure the animal taxa question was D, so good guess ! :D

I chose that both Sodium and Potassium ions enter the cell, but many people chose the one with the depolarization of the membrane by a neurotransmitter so i am not really sure about that one either. An I am pretty sure the animal taxa question was D, so good guess ! :D

I chose the neurotransmitter one, because depolarization happens when the sodium ions enter the postsynaptic neuron, and not potassium. K plays a role in repolarization, but not depolarization, by being released of the neuron

OK, But it was talking about the depolarization along the axon of a neurone right? And at the specific place where the action potential is Na will be pumped in. But in the rest of the avon theoretically K will still be pumped in, so should overall, for the whole axon, both NA and K move in ?

Yes it was talking about depolarization specifically.

Well who knows, for depolarization only, which was the thing requested, sodiim ions are pumped in, while potassium ions are not. They are instead pumped out for repolarization.

But we'll see, the questions wording are susceptible to various interpretations, and that the bad of the multiple choices..

Did anyone do Q6 in Section B? I was unsure what they were looking for when they asked to outline how and where plants store energy. I talked about source cells, sink cells, phloem vessel, and converting glucose into starch.

For DNA replication I was debating between C and D ( I don't remember why I discarded answers A and B) but I chose C ( the one with 3-5 and anti parallel strand) mainly because of the term "antiparallel". I also chose the neurotransmitter at synapses because when an action potential is generated, Na goes in and K goes out, but they don't do it simultaneously, and the answers said that they either both diffused in or both diffused out. Did anyone answer Q40 in paper 1? I chose embryo, but I thought none of the answers were correct because HCG is secreted by blastocyst and then placenta. I thought a blastocyst is different from an embryo.

For the first question in paper 1, what did the error bars signify? I said that at 20 the range is the greatest.

• Like 1