Possible Biology questions? (HL)

Emzy_memzy

Hey Guys :)

As some of you may know Biology is tomorrow! Eeek :( I dont know about you guys but im super nervous about this exam in general.

Im in HL Biology and i was wondering if any of you may have some clue to what questions could appear on the exam tomorrow.

Obviously these are estimate and may not come true.

I really hope a good diagram question will show up on Paper 2 essay part.

Good luck :)

• Like 1

Guest Zoya (aka: ziasha)

AH hey guys, i have a doubt, in section B we normally get 1 question from each chapter right, (like 1 from photosynthesis, 1 from human physiology) so there's this part is photosynthesis that i can't seem to get so if i skip it will it be fine ? :o :O i m scaredddddddd

They are usually of a similar theme, but not always. For example a photosynthesis question might come up with a plant science question or a respiration question. You have a choice of 4 questions and it is unlikely a photosynthesis question will come up twice in two different questions.

Guest Zoya (aka: ziasha)

Yes exactly, section A is normally basic so photosynthesis and kreb cycle stuff makes no sense there. So in section B 1 must be from every HL topic :D so i think skipping it might not be such a big deal :P Agree?

I wouldn't go as far as to say section A involves the 'basic' concepts, for example I did a paper recently which used DNA replication in section A. I do not think that there is any guarantee of what will be in each section.

Whilst there is probably a lower chance of photosynthesis being in section A (there are less section A questions) it could well happen. If you are stuck on it then I recommend using youtube to watch some videos about it (that's how I learnt), if you have specific questions then ask here, but don't ignore it as it is likely to also appear in paper 1.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Well, I did some research to find patterns between papers from 2009-2012 and for short I believe there will be some digestion as they asked for it in section B last year and it's easy. For long, I think the heart as it hasn't been asked as a long, neurotransmission hasn't been asked since nov 2009, and cell respiration wasn't asked last year while photosynthesis was so it should be asked. There was no biochemistry last year so I bet they will have something, like replication or translation... Every year there is something on proteins like polar non-polar amino acids so know those too. There is always something on genetics and there hasn't been a long one on independent assortment or hemophilia while they have asked about Down, sickle-cell anemia etc... Menstrual hormones, oogenesis/spermatogenesis, and kidney's (osmoregulation, ultrafiltration etc) are asked very frequently too. Not sure if I can limit it any further... Oh one more thing, they also tend to have immunity but nothing last year so perhaps a long on that?

• Like 2

Do you guys feel ready? What options are you doing?

Im doing Microbes and Ecology. Im ready for Ecology but not so much Microbes! So much detail needs to be remembered! :( Im definitly going to spell them wrong too!

Well we will never be 100% ready but I think we should go with lots of confidence and remember to breathe! I am doing Evolution and Further Human Physiology as my options... Pretty hard but that's why we have monday afternoon!

• Like 1

Yes i also believe that these topics will come up:

Digestion

Cell Respiration

DNA

Gene Mutation

I remember doing the spermatogenisis and oogenisis in a past paper... Probably one of my fave questions to be asked. However less likely as it was quite recent.

Im doing Microbes and Ecology. Im ready for Ecology but not so much Microbes! So much detail needs to be remembered! :( Im definitly going to spell them wrong too!

Well we will never be 100% ready but I think we should go with lots of confidence and remember to breathe! I am doing Evolution and Further Human Physiology as my options... Pretty hard but that's why we have monday afternoon!

Thankfully :) WE CAN DO THIS :) Good luck everyone :D

• Like 1

I think so, i've put a lot of effort in so hopefully it will pay off!

Im doing Neurobiology and Further Human physiology. Both of which I find easy conceptually, however, the questions I find difficult, they seem to be worded differently to normal P2 questions and I often lose marks through misinterpretation. Tomorrow night I plan to commit the text books to memory...

• Like 2

I think so, i've put a lot of effort in so hopefully it will pay off!

Im doing Neurobiology and Further Human physiology. Both of which I find easy conceptually, however, the questions I find difficult, they seem to be worded differently to normal P2 questions and I often lose marks through misinterpretation. Tomorrow night I plan to commit the text books to memory...

Do you happen to have any nice notes for Neurobiology?

I'm pretty screwed with this one :D as I learnt Further a bit, so it's a matter of revision, but Neurobiology...I'm planning to learn this overnight :D, yay! can't wait!

• Like 1

Do you happen to have any nice notes for Neurobiology?

I'm pretty screwed with this one :D as I learnt Further a bit, so it's a matter of revision, but Neurobiology...I'm planning to learn this overnight :D, yay! can't wait!

Well I use a cr*ppy text book a little but there are some quite good notes on: http://www.scribd.com/collections/2501655/Biology if you scroll down a little to the option E....

It seems to just be a lot to remember so you should be fine if you do some crazy revision the night before! Also have a look at the website: pearsonbacconline.com, click on biology, HL worksheets and find the ones on neurobiology.

Enjoy :D

I am doing ecology, evolution, and further human physiology for options. I'm not sure which I will write on.

No matter how much I study, when looking at past questions or past exams, I always find many that I don't know. I study a bit more, go back, and it's the same thing. Even if the topics they will ask could be predicted, all topics are quite big, and require a lot of memorisation, as it seems they expect you to know every little detail. I don't really feel confident for the exam because of that, though. They ask such specific questions, and I've noticed that questions that begin with 'explain the significance' or 'what is the function of' don't exactly give points for what they are really asking. Despite using 'significance,' they are really just asking what it is. Has anybody else noticed that? It is a bit frustrating and you have to know exactly what they are looking for or be lucky you've stated things that are included in the mark scheme. It almost seems random to me, for some questions. The IB Guide book really helps for summarising every topic, though, and contains mostly everything they may ask a question on. :D

Biology will definitely be my hardest exam, but exams will be over for me in a few days. :)

Funny, cause I actually didn't study that much and I look at past papers and with every hour passing (and me revising new stuff) I can answer more and more questions :D.

Yep, the markschemes are usually tricky, so the best is to write as much as possible, which has sth to do with the topic. Starting with definition and adding some related stuff. They won't mark you down for that and the chance is you may gain some extra points for riddiculous things ;).

The worst is I have my A1 P2 in the morning, and then P1 and then P2 which in all gives...almost 5 hrs, with almost 4 of writing ;/.