Should I remark?

Hello, I have just gotten my grade breakdown, and my Paper 1 and Paper 2 were disappointing but my IA and WL are good. I ended up with a 6 which was a 76% and 7 starts from 78%. Here is my breakdown:

IA: 24

P1: 18

P2: 14

WL: 20 (Yeah i was pretty happy about the world Lit! biggrin.png )

It depends on you. Will the potential extra point mean anything, or help you get into university? And haha, do you have to pay anything? Just consider the costs and benefits. You can remark if it's even a personal pride issue.

Congratz on your 6!

It's more of a personal preference, I got a 42, and i'm planning on remarking physics HL (1 point away from 7) and i want to get one last point to try to be 44 (EE and ToK are hopelessly both low B's so naah) What are the chances of getting the last two points? (and money is not an issue, it's just if i stand a chance to get even lower than a 6) and also has anyone ever remarked English or heard of a person who remarked english and what happened to their grade?

has anyone ever remarked English or heard of a person who remarked english and what happened to their grade?

Yeah some people at my school have remarked English and their grades usually go up. My friend got English remarked because she was two points away from a 6, and after remarking her grade actually went up by 3 points. I'm also planning to remark it partly due to pride and also because I want to get uni credit for it (and I can't right now). Now if only my coordinator would email me back with my mark breakdown...

Even if you don't really need the remark for university purposes, getting the one extra point can mean a lot to you. The current thought in your mind is "I am 2% away from a 7 in English". Does it really bother you or not? If it really gets on your nerves, go for the remark. Even if your grade doesn't go up at least you can say you tried. If not getting a 7 doesn't bother you that much, then save your money for partying or other useful things XD

you should remark,even if (God forbid) you get slightly downgraded (according to our coordinator there is that chance),its unlikely that you get downgraded by by so many pts such that your grade is below 6.I wish you luck and i hope you get that 7

Edited by Summer Glau
please don't use text speak

so even though english grades are pretty fallible, flexible and volatile, i probably wont go down to be a 5?

Also, do they remark the World Lit? Or is it something moderated so they dont touch it? Because it would be much better to simply remark P1 and P2

so even though english grades are pretty fallible, flexible and volatile, i probably wont go down to be a 5?

Also, do they remark the World Lit? Or is it something moderated so they dont touch it? Because it would be much better to simply remark P1 and P2

No it's pretty unlikely that you'll go down to a 5. English is subjective but not that subjective that you can drop almost two grade levels. Since you're at a high 6 it shouldn't go all the way down to a 5 (unless they made a major mistake but that would be pretty rare).

They do remark the WL since it is not an IA. You write it in class but your teacher doesn't have to grade it, only the IB examiner does. Of course many teachers will grade it anyways to help them give you a predicted grade and to give you an idea of how you did, but teachers don't have to mark it.

I've been battling with the same question. I'm one mark away from a 6 in HL Biology, a subject where getting a 5 was really a surprise and a disappointment for me. However, as I mentioned in the results thread, our IAs where moderated down a lot (mine 15 points since the higher grades went down the most) and I believe our IB coordinator is now attempting to submit our IA samples for re-moderation. The moderation clearly was too harsh, and I think there should be a fair chance that our IA marks could go up at least a bit when re-moderated.

I would only need two more IA points to get that missing mark, and so I am wondering whether my best option is to just take my chances with the IA re-moderation. Because if my submit my papers for remarking, there is always the chance that I will actually lose some marks and, in the worst case, subsequently counteract any possible improvement in the internal assessment.

Secondly, anyone know the grade boundaries for a 7 in HL Physics (73 I heard?) or a 6 in HL Math? Or have any experience with having these subjects remarked?

I believe I am very close to getting higher grades in those subjects as well, but I daren't bother my IB coordinator any further. :D

I don't really need my grades for anything, but frankly I've felt the past three years to be such a waste of time that even one more point would make it seem a lot more meaningful. Because although I did ok and certainly better than I had any reason to expect, getting 655 from my HL subjects is still way below my normal performance.

I've been battling with the same question. I'm one mark away from a 6 in HL Biology, a subject where getting a 5 was really a surprise and a disappointment for me. However, as I mentioned in the results thread, our IAs where moderated down a lot (mine 15 points since the higher grades went down the most) and I believe our IB coordinator is now attempting to submit our IA samples for re-moderation. The moderation clearly was too harsh, and I think there should be a fair chance that our IA marks could go up at least a bit when re-moderated.

I would only need two more IA points to get that missing mark, and so I am wondering whether my best option is to just take my chances with the IA re-moderation. Because if my submit my papers for remarking, there is always the chance that I will actually lose some marks and, in the worst case, subsequently counteract any possible improvement in the internal assessment.

I'm one mark away from a 7 in HL Bio myself and I'm also wondering about remarking. I haven't personally seen my grade breakdown, only discussed my overall grade with my coordinator over the phone, so I'm not sure of where I'm missing the mark but I wasn't aware that you could submit IAs for re-moderation? I feel like it's doubtful I'd pick up the extra mark from my papers given the black and white nature of the markscheme. Can someone explain the IA re-moderation to me, please?

If you have a 42, thats excellent, and you have to pay anyway. I have a 41 close to a 7 in chemistry (3 marks), Biology (2 marks) and in language B (2 marks) but I already got into uni and I have already gotten credit where I could've possibly gotten it. You already made it to uni too. I wouldn't remark because there isn't guarantee and you've already done so well. Its your choice though this is just my opinion.

I see what you mean IBConquerer, but the thing about my score is, i have went into a college that i do not really plan to stay at and i plan to transfer hopefully after the first year while they can still look at my IB grades so it also kinda helps. My Dilema isnt the money or anything, just the chance of a 5. But everyone tells me that it's pretty unlikely and my coordinator told me that if i do lose 10 points, we have a right to fight with the IBO because of the lack of an accurate first time mark (even though i have a predicted 7 in English)

I'm one mark away from a 7 in HL Bio myself and I'm also wondering about remarking. I haven't personally seen my grade breakdown, only discussed my overall grade with my coordinator over the phone, so I'm not sure of where I'm missing the mark but I wasn't aware that you could submit IAs for re-moderation? I feel like it's doubtful I'd pick up the extra mark from my papers given the black and white nature of the markscheme. Can someone explain the IA re-moderation to me, please?

There is no possibility for an individual candidate to have their IAs re-moderated – after all, the moderation is done based on a sample that you might not have been even included in. However, if the scores have drastically been changed in moderation (I do not know where they draw the line on this), there is a possibility for the school to request for the IA sample to be re-moderated. I recall our IB coordinator mentioning that this is "a new kind of enquiry", so I take it this has not been possible in the previous years.

There is no possibility for an individual candidate to have their IAs re-moderated – after all, the moderation is done based on a sample that you might not have been even included in. However, if the scores have drastically been changed in moderation (I do not know where they draw the line on this), there is a possibility for the school to request for the IA sample to be re-moderated. I recall our IB coordinator mentioning that this is "a new kind of enquiry", so I take it this has not been possible in the previous years.

Ah okay, I thought it would be something like that - at least that explains why I'd never heard of it before! I'll probably go for the remark on my papers then... chances of going down are at least pretty slim, and hopefully I'll pick up that extra mark somewhere. Thanks for your help!