Should I remark?

I've been battling with the same question. I'm one mark away from a 6 in HL Biology, a subject where getting a 5 was really a surprise and a disappointment for me. However, as I mentioned in the results thread, our IAs where moderated down a lot (mine 15 points since the higher grades went down the most) and I believe our IB coordinator is now attempting to submit our IA samples for re-moderation. The moderation clearly was too harsh, and I think there should be a fair chance that our IA marks could go up at least a bit when re-moderated.

I would only need two more IA points to get that missing mark, and so I am wondering whether my best option is to just take my chances with the IA re-moderation. Because if my submit my papers for remarking, there is always the chance that I will actually lose some marks and, in the worst case, subsequently counteract any possible improvement in the internal assessment.

Secondly, anyone know the grade boundaries for a 7 in HL Physics (73 I heard?) or a 6 in HL Math? Or have any experience with having these subjects remarked?

I believe I am very close to getting higher grades in those subjects as well, but I daren't bother my IB coordinator any further. :D

I don't really need my grades for anything, but frankly I've felt the past three years to be such a waste of time that even one more point would make it seem a lot more meaningful. Because although I did ok and certainly better than I had any reason to expect, getting 655 from my HL subjects is still way below my normal performance.

The upper boundary for a 5 for Math HL is 65.5, in Canada's timezone.

I've been battling with the same question. I'm one mark away from a 6 in HL Biology, a subject where getting a 5 was really a surprise and a disappointment for me. However, as I mentioned in the results thread, our IAs where moderated down a lot (mine 15 points since the higher grades went down the most) and I believe our IB coordinator is now attempting to submit our IA samples for re-moderation. The moderation clearly was too harsh, and I think there should be a fair chance that our IA marks could go up at least a bit when re-moderated.

I would only need two more IA points to get that missing mark, and so I am wondering whether my best option is to just take my chances with the IA re-moderation. Because if my submit my papers for remarking, there is always the chance that I will actually lose some marks and, in the worst case, subsequently counteract any possible improvement in the internal assessment.

Secondly, anyone know the grade boundaries for a 7 in HL Physics (73 I heard?) or a 6 in HL Math? Or have any experience with having these subjects remarked?

I believe I am very close to getting higher grades in those subjects as well, but I daren't bother my IB coordinator any further. :D

I don't really need my grades for anything, but frankly I've felt the past three years to be such a waste of time that even one more point would make it seem a lot more meaningful. Because although I did ok and certainly better than I had any reason to expect, getting 655 from my HL subjects is still way below my normal performance.

I got a 6. I'm impressed with myself :clap:

Guys do all the paper 1/2s etc get posted online ?

I got a 6. I'm impressed with myself :clap:

Guys do all the paper 1/2s etc get posted online ?

No, IB doesn't post their papers online.

For anyone battling whether to get a remark, check out http://www.ibgrades.com and see how many more marks you need.

Though it has old boundaries, I got the newer boundaries from my IBC and for example, I need like 3 more marks in P1 or P2 in Math SL for a 5.

Secondly, anyone know the grade boundaries for a 7 in HL Physics (73 I heard?) or a 6 in HL Math?

I don't know how I forgot to mention this, but I am be interested in finding out the TZ2 boundaries specifically, and the option Series & Differential Equations in Math HL.

As to ibgrades.com, I think that having the correct grade boundaries is crucial for the decision on whether to remark or not. After all they vary so much from year to year, and I'm guessing it's not probably worth remarking in these subjects unless you are just one or perhaps two points away from the higher grade. It'd be interesting to hear experiences on this though – has anyone ever got higher scores after having their G4 or Math papers remarked? And if so, how much?

Secondly, anyone know the grade boundaries for a 7 in HL Physics (73 I heard?) or a 6 in HL Math?

I don't know how I forgot to mention this, but I am be interested in finding out the TZ2 boundaries specifically, and the option Series & Differential Equations in Math HL.

As to ibgrades.com, I think that having the correct grade boundaries is crucial for the decision on whether to remark or not. After all they vary so much from year to year, and I'm guessing it's not probably worth remarking in these subjects unless you are just one or perhaps two points away from the higher grade. It'd be interesting to hear experiences on this though – has anyone ever got higher scores after having their G4 or Math papers remarked? And if so, how much?

Your IBC should have the grade boundaries. And remarks usually do go up. Blindpet's Psych Mark went from a 5 to a 7 and there have been instances of D's in EE being remarked to a B.

Your IBC should have the grade boundaries. And remarks usually do go up. Blindpet's Psych Mark went from a 5 to a 7 and there have been instances of D's in EE being remarked to a B.

Yes, she of course has them, but I did not realise to ask for them back when I mailed her to get my component grades. And seriously, I don't want to bother her any further. For my own sake. :D

I am aware that in some subjects your exam marks can change a lot in remarking, but is that really the case with subjects like Physics or Math as well? Unless there actually is something very wrong with the marking, I mean. Because I find it hard to believe that in those subjects the markschemes would be ambiguous enough to allow such variation? It would be interesting to hear experiences on those two subjects specifically.

Satmi yeah maths is usually such an objective subject that even if you remark it is unlikely that you will gain more than 1 or 2 marks overall, remember that it takes 4 points on paper 1 or 2 to get you up 1% and 3 points on paper 3 to get you up 1%. In sciences, I am not sure about physics depending on what your paper 2 and 3's are out of based on that you can make the calculation :). As for the boundaries here you go, they absolutely raised it beyond anything I have ever seen this year lol

Math HL series and differential equations boundaries

7 80-100

6 67-79

5 54-66

4 42-53

3 30-41

2 15-29

1 0-14

Edited by IBCONQUERER

Satmi yeah maths is usually such an objective subject that even if you remark it is unlikely that you will gain more than 1 or 2 marks overall, remember that it takes 4 points on paper 1 or 2 to get you up 1% and 3 points on paper 3 to get you up 1%. In sciences, I am not sure about physics depending on what your paper 2 and 3's are out of based on that you can make the calculation :). As for the boundaries here you go, they absolutely raised it beyond anything I have ever seen this year lol

Math HL series and differential equations boundaries

7 80-100

6 67-79

5 54-66

4 42-53

3 30-41

2 15-29

1 0-14

Thanks! But wow, those are some seriously high grade boundaries for Math HL. I wish now that I had put some effort into my studies – not for my own sake, but because we have such a devoted math teacher who I'm afraid will be forever depressed about our results. :D

Anyway, I suppose there's no point in getting any of my papers remarked then. I'm several points below the boundaries in both Physics and Math, and in Biology there is just too much risk given that I might get the necessary points from re-moderation. I'm still not sure how I did so badly in Biology, but I guess I'll just have to live with that.