Chem paper 1 was horrible... paper 2 was slightly better. The data-analysis question was terrible though. Did anyone find their answers were very small numbers? like to the power of -7 and etc? Also, what was the reason that sodium had to be removed from the reaction? I had no clue for that one.

For section B I did the bonding/periodicity one and the redox.

The funny thing was that I spent half the year saying how much I hated redox, but I ended up answering the redox question on the exam. It was fairly simple, just voltaic cells and electroplating! I expected electrolytic and electrolysis of aqueous solutions but thankfully the IB were kind to us :)

I barely remember about the data analysis, It's in kg right? so it's not gonna be small. I think it was 1.5 moles and find the grams allright. I also said that sodium need to be removed because it's an alkali metal, very reactive, might interfere with the reaction.

I know!!! right! I always said to myself that electrochem is wy worst enemy, I even spent extra time revising organic just in case the electrochem came up. Turn out, I didn't even have to check other question for section B. :)

I think most people got the silicon dioxide structure wrong. I had the activation energy question all muddled up in my head.

It's O-Si-O with 2 lone pairs right? Naturally I thought they were sp2 hybridized, but it turn out that they aren't (they are sp3) and thankfully I know it just the day before the exam, otherwise i might forget it for good. :)

awesome!

what about that damned energetics question? what was the entropy? I thought it was becoming more ordered so delta S would be negative, but when I calculated it it was a really small positive number :S

we were supposed to rearrange the ∆G = ∆H - T∆S equation right? did anyone manage to get the temperature part?

It's O-Si-O with 2 lone pairs right? Naturally I thought they were sp2 hybridized, but it turn out that they aren't (they are sp3) and thankfully I know it just the day before the exam, otherwise i might forget it for good. :)

I think so. Because I did it linear arrangement with double bonds then I looked at the textbook then after the exam and laughed at how wrong I was.

How did everyone find paper 3? I did the Biochem and Enviro options - Biochem was fine but enviro had wayyyy too many equations for my liking! I couldn't remember half of the mechanisms, I suppose that's what you get for not having time to study for it until the night before!!

I did Analytical/Environmental for Paper 3. Analytical was OK... but Environmental... My chemistry teacher, lovely woman she is, didn't actually finish teaching us Environmental. She taught half of it to us by giving us photocopies of the Options textbook and just totally didn't teach the HL bit of it to us...

And yeah I didn't really understand how a lot of the mechanisms worked because I am just a dud in chemistry (and my chem tutor didn't do that option so she couldn't teach it to me) haha. The night before I started crying and my dad (ex-chemical engineer) taught me the acid deposition ones and ozone depletion ones so I at least got something... but yeah, bye bye any chances of getting a 7 for me :P

Edited by Schrödinger's Cat

Yeah it was a really small positive number.

And I'm pretty sure you would have got the temperature right if you subbed in your entropy value and your ∆H value ^^ If anything they would have given you consequential marks for the right method but the wrong value :)

Isn't entropy only a really small number because it's in kJ and then you multiply by 1000 to get the value in joules which it is usually given in and then you get a value more like what you are expecting?

I thought paper 1 and 2 were pretty doable actually. for paper 3, I did analytical and organic which was not bad as well!

For paper 2, did anyone else get 700 and something K for the last part of the entropy question? And did you use an ideal gas equation for the first question?

As for the question on why Na should be removed, i said its because its a very reactive metal and may react with any of the gases and possibly be explosive. not very sure about that though :/

I thought paper 1 and 2 were pretty doable actually. for paper 3, I did analytical and organic which was not bad as well!

For paper 2, did anyone else get 700 and something K for the last part of the entropy question? And did you use an ideal gas equation for the first question?

As for the question on why Na should be removed, i said its because its a very reactive metal and may react with any of the gases and possibly be explosive. not very sure about that though :/

Yep I got 700 something K for the temperature and yep ideal gas equation~ :D

Oh no I put its to prevent a reverse reaction to happen for the Na question

• 2 years later...