Type I - Lacsap's Fractions

vivo per lei

This just popped into my mind.... how am I suppose to write this up? This is my first math IA. I know my teacher said not to write it like question and answer... so am I suppose to have pictures of my tables and stuff?

read the Maths IA tips thread in the maths forum

what IS GDC

Graphic Display Calculator

so how do you do the graphical method on a calculator cuz I was just doing the Quadratic regression

that's what I meant - regression

Thing to do to get the GS...

1. use a graphing calculator of a website(i used http://www.geogebra.org/webstart/geogebra.html)

2. work the numerators and denominators separately

3. for the denominators graph each diagonal® line separately (# of the denominator, horizontal line)

4.use polynomial's a.k.a. quadratic formulas

5.after you get all you r's equations find a trend in them and make on that will fit all

• Like 1

I am also working on this IA, which is due tomorrow. :panic: I figured out the problems, and I get what all of you are insinuating when saying to put everything in rows of r and n (at least I think I do), but I'm still confused. What does the E stand for? Is it some kind of special equation? I'm bad at remembering rules and such, and I don't want to mess up. Also, if someone would direct me to an example of the proper format for the IA, I would very much appreciate it.

I am also working on this IA, which is due tomorrow. :panic: I figured out the problems, and I get what all of you are insinuating when saying to put everything in rows of r and n (at least I think I do), but I'm still confused. What does the E stand for? Is it some kind of special equation? I'm bad at remembering rules and such, and I don't want to mess up. Also, if someone would direct me to an example of the proper format for the IA, I would very much appreciate it.

E, what E? you mean En( r)? it's referring to the (r+1)th term on row n.

for everyone who wants to know how to structure their IA and stuff like that, visit this thread -->

• Like 1

E, what E? you mean En( r)? it's referring to the (r+1)th term on row n.

for everyone who wants to know how to structure their IA and stuff like that, visit this thread --> http://www.ibsurviva...ps-and-queries/

Ok, So it doesn't mean anything else? And thank you for the link! :bee:

Ok, So it doesn't mean anything else? And thank you for the link! :bee:

nope, what did you think it might mean? and you're welcome, if you need to ask anything please do so!

I didn't know if it was supposed to be a sigma like in that one algebra equation. Thank you so much!!! I'm going to come right out and say it. This is my first time on this site. I joined it just to get help on this assignment. I'm so gld that I did, and that there are people like you to help out total noobs like me. :noob: Thank you!

I didn't know if it was supposed to be a sigma like in that one algebra equation. Thank you so much!!! I'm going to come right out and say it. This is my first time on this site. I joined it just to get help on this assignment. I'm so gld that I did, and that there are people like you to help out total noobs like me. :noob: Thank you!

oh no it's not supposed to be a sigma. ok you're welcome :) I hope you'll contribute back to the site too one day!

oh no it's not supposed to be a sigma. ok you're welcome :) I hope you'll contribute back to the site too one day!

Oh definitely! I already posted the link to this site on Facebook for everyone else to check out.

• Like 1

r [the diagonal line] #1 : (2,2)(3,4)(4,7)(5,11)

r [the diagonal line] #2 : (3,4)(4,6)(5.9)

r [the diagonal line] #3 : (4,7)(5,9)

so if you did the row 6&7 you would have more data...so you would get a better view of the what is happening...

what do you mean you found the first???after you find the rest formulas for r's you will need to generalize them in to one!

Edited by URA BOAT
  • Like 1

mmm are you sure it's correct? I've just tried to work out the general statement of En(r ) and I got a quite complicated formula in terms of n and r. it did require some effort to get to the general statement.

there are many ways to get to the GS but I myself used the graphical method (b/c I'm lazy...) but if you know how to find it using another method, go for it. I personally don't favour the graphical method (plotting a graph and finding the best fit curve) for a Math IA, though it's a use of technology :S

The numerator part is very obvious and easy, right? So I don't need to discuss it.

After you found the 6th and 7th rows, draw a new triangle if possible so you can see the patterns more easily.

Remember that 1 is the 1st term in each row, and in this term r=0.

When r=1 (the 2nd term from the left), get a table of the denominators and the n (n starts from 2). Then you find the GS for the denominator in terms of n.

When r=2 (the 3rd term from the left), get a table of the denominators and the n (n starts from 3). Then you find the GS for the denominator in terms of n.

When r=3 (the 4th term from the left), get a table of the denominators and the n (n starts from 4). Then you find the GS for the denominator in terms of n.

Do the same thing for when r=4 and when r=5.

You've got all the general statements in terms of n. Now your goal is to make them to be ONE general statement in terms of r and n.

Hint: The general statement is in quadratic form (denominator=an²+bn+c)

Tabulate r and the general statements. I am sure you will see some kind of pattern in the values of a, b and c. Find them with a similar method as before,

Get a table of a and r. Then you find the GS for a in terms of r.

Get a table of b and r. Then you find the GS for b in terms of r.

Get a table of c and r. Then you find the GS for c in terms of r.

So you've got a, b and c. Put them in the general statement involving n. You will get the GS for the denominator in terms of n and r.

This task is fairly easy, though it seems complicated in the beginning. Good luck to all of you!! :gluck:

What do you mean by tabulate r and the general statemnts because I've gotten the equations in terms of n but I dont understand what to do thereafter can u please explain I'm so confused

basically just make a table so that you can see it clearly. if not it's okay but trust me it helps you to see and notice the pattern.

work on each of a, b and c. just express each in terms of r and then combine them.

are you sure? I'm talking about this:

latex.php?content=Denominator=an^2+bn+c

and please don't post your answers here... if you want to check it with me you can just message me.