Type I - Lacsap's Fractions

vivo per lei

Arent we suposed to take into account the 1s that are the sides ?

yes

I don´t know how to find the denominators of the 6th and 7th row, the ones that are in the middle :bawling: and i have to give this thing tomorrow

hey, sorry, you could've quoted my post so I get a notification and can reply much earlier. it's basically the same thing as the previous ones..but try to work out the denominator not row by row but diagonal by diagonal, it would be much easier then.

Desy Glau, Oh God, you have tons of patience to go through that over and over. thumbs up mate... :read:

lol, thanks.. I'm just sad those people who've finished the task don't go back here to help others.

we just got this portfolio at my school... its very difficult. we have figured out the numerator, but not the denominator, if anyone understands how to find it, please help!

it's actually simple once you see the pattern! read through this thread from the beginning, I'm sure I've posted all the necessary clues to find the denominator. if you still don't get it then ask again but be specific as I can't reexplain everything all over.

• Like 1

though finding all that about numerator and denominator is simple, though as my teacher told me that the scope and/or limitations of the general statement are the challenging part where candidates can prove their abilities. and that's what is killing me at the moment, need to work on it now. After that, i'd have to finish the TOK presentation and it's 1 Am right now. gotta roll! :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

though finding all that about numerator and denominator is simple, though as my teacher told me that the scope and/or limitations of the general statement are the challenging part where candidates can prove their abilities. and that's what is killing me at the moment, need to work on it now. After that, i'd have to finish the TOK presentation and it's 1 Am right now. gotta roll! :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

good luck! I actually don't see many fancy limitations :S did your teacher really emphasise on that? but maybe it means I'm not that competent lol :P

good luck! I actually don't see many fancy limitations :S did your teacher really emphasise on that? but maybe it means I'm not that competent lol :P

heh, tell me about it, i don't know why he focuses on the limitations part. this is why it's killing me, coz the general statement looks full proof... :bawling: :bawling:

Ok im totally needing help really bad really soon my porfolio is due tuesday and its friday ive done everything ut im stuck on finding the denominator general statement ive read the posts 5 times no joke and im still lost.....i get that it should be a quardratic and pele have said flatout a stays the same as in how to find a b c in relation to just n then to just r then to both............im beyond frustrated and need the help please! And i need it to be explained like for super dummies.......

Okay... So I see the pattern for the denominator and have the general statement for the numerator.... however I don't get the GS for the denominator.

My teacher told my class that it had something to do with combinations... does that have a place in the GS?

hmmm not exactly... but in a sense yeah it combines a number of general statements into one by generalising. but it's not really combining I don't think. but are you talking about combinations as in nCr? that is not related to this no lol or at least I don't see how it's related...unless it's about pascal's triangle (which would be complicated to use in this case methinks)

Ok im totally needing help really bad really soon my porfolio is due tuesday and its friday ive done everything ut im stuck on finding the denominator general statement ive read the posts 5 times no joke and im still lost.....i get that it should be a quardratic and pele have said flatout a stays the same as in how to find a b c in relation to just n then to just r then to both............im beyond frustrated and need the help please! And i need it to be explained like for super dummies.......

sorry I don't know how to talk to super dummies, but if you meant like primary students, I don't think those kids would ever understand no matter how simple this is explained.

I seriously don't know how to reexplain it in a simpler way, unless you mean giving direct hints which is not allowed in this forum. so let's hope somebody else can explain.

I thought I had given enough hints for you to start working. which parts exactly do you not understand? I see that you kinda get how to proceed but why are you stuck? for God's sake just start working on it with whatever you think will work...if not you'll never know how it's supposed to work out. just try, and if you're not getting the right answer you can come back here.

• Like 1

it's okay :D just be careful next time!

note that I'm not doing this task for my IA, so don't worry I won't take your equations or plagiarise or whatever ;)

that's okay, not a problem :)

did you follow the procedure I suggested? if yes:

when r=1 you get an equation in terms of n.

when r=2 you get another equation in terms of n.

when r=3 you get yet another equation in terms of n.

etc.

then when you generalise the r, you get one GENERAL equation in terms of n and r. :)

do you get it now?

What do you mean generalize the r?

I just finished mine and my biggest advice is to graph the denominator. Use a trend line and then get the formula for each diagonal row off of that. While the general equation is still hard to find after that, at least you have a starting point. :D GOOD LUCK!!!

Thank you soooo much!! This is SO helpful! I used Microsoft Excel to do all the graphing, and now I'm moving along just fine! :)

can somebody please help me with the technology part… i dont get it AT ALL… :( im going crazy

you're so cute :P basically you know if n=2, the numerator is 3, if n=3, the numerator is 6, and so on and so forth (look at your triangle) so put this in a scatter graph on Excel or use Data and Stats in GDC and simply plot it.

I've got my general statement, and It's right. :) I'm happy for that but, now the hard part begins. I'm good with the math at its core, but am absolutely terrible with using technology to plot graphs and stuff.

I've managed to explain everything up to question 6 with little problems. But I don't know how to do question 7 at all. I have it, but don't know how to explain how I got it. You know what I mean?

Edit: MLIIB ^

Can you make a table? Make a table with 7 rows and 15 columns and then just fill it in. THen remove the borders of the table. Is that what you need? It's what I did.

Edited by StSilver
  • Like 1

@StSilver: It's not very cleary to which step you are referring to. Do you mean the question about limitations of the general statement? If so, in the older posts, there are comments on it, but I can hint you some of them again. Can r and n be negative, rational/irrational, real numbers?

If you mean the last step, as you have found the general statement, you should've used a method to obtain it, right? Explain this method step by step, with details and thus you will have the answer for it. Don't forget to provide some further examples (with larger numbers) after you've explained everything. Good luck!

• Like 1