Errrrr okay... Then? What does it infer?

I can only see that it proves sin²θ + cos²θ = 1 (from Pythagoras)

Does it have anything to do with:

arcsin(-x) = -arcsin(x)

arccos(-x) = arccos(x)

? (as I was previously asking this)

If yes, how?

Sorry, I am very slow... Once I get it I promise I won't ask it again.

PS. You may want to use imgur.com instead of imageshack. Sometimes pictures from imageshack are unable to be seen on Firefox. I can see it though as I'm currently not using Firefox :) thanks!

Errrrr okay... Then? What does it infer?

I can only see that it proves sin²θ + cos²θ = 1 (from Pythagoras)

Does it have anything to do with:

arcsin(-x) = -arcsin(x)

arccos(-x) = arccos(x)

? (as I was previously asking this)

If yes, how?

Sorry, I am very slow... Once I get it I promise I won't ask it again.

PS. You may want to use imgur.com instead of imageshack. Sometimes pictures from imageshack are unable to be seen on Firefox. I can see it though as I'm currently not using Firefox :) thanks!

Yeah, because arcsin is the inverse of sin.

ife4N.png

From the above illustration we can see that:

gif.latex?arcsinx=\theta

and

gif.latex?arcsin(-x)=-\theta

then we must have:

gif.latex?arcsin(-x)=-arcsin(x)

Draw up the unit circle and try with cos and arccos and you'll see why gif.latex?$$arccos(-x)=arccos(x)$$;)

Edited by chrypton
  • Like 1

ohhh yes I get it now! I see I see. very interesting. I never knew this :P thank you very much! it must have been a lot of pain drawing all the shapes and all :P

PS. If anybody has any tips on how to memorise the trig values of the special angles, apart from the special triangles method, I would be very grateful!

• Like 1

PS. If anybody has any tips on how to memorise the trig values of the special angles, apart from the special triangles method, I would be very grateful!

I memorized the order of angles. 0 -> 30 -> 45 -> 60 -> 90 (sorry can't be bothered to put the degree signs) or 0 -> pi/6 -> pi/4 -> pi/3 -> p/2

Then in the same order, for sin(theta). 1/2*sqrt(0) -> 1/2*sqrt(1) -> 1/2*sqrt(2) -> 1/2*sqrt(3) -> 1/2*sqrt(4)

for cos(theta): the above list in reverse. 1/2*sqrt(4) -> ...

for tan(theta): use the tan(x)=sin(x)/cos(x)

To practice, at the beginning of tests/exams, you could quickly fill in this table on a rough paper

theta | sin(theta) | cos(theta) | tan(theta)

pi/6...

pi/4...

pi/3...

pi/2...

• Like 2

Thanks Gene-Peer! That seriously helped. I need to get used to it though, used it in my semester exams but I was once confused with the radian angles.. Ahhhhh my exam was an epic failure!! :bawling:

Anyway...

(1+z²)/(1-z²) = i

z is a complex number x+iy

How do we find |z| ???

I'm guessing this has got something to do with comparing the real values on both sides and imaginary values and then solve it simultaneously. But I just couldn't manage to get it!! Or is there any other method?? Thank you!

Sorry to change the topic!

What's the purpose of the discriminant in a quadratic? I know that if

discriminant > 0, there are two distinctive roots

discriminant = 0, -b/2a is the only solution for x

discriminant < 0, there are no real roots (as you can't get the negative of a root)

buttt what's the purpose of it? What does it tell us? ...Just why do we need to know the discriminant values of the roots of a quadratic?!? Does it tell us something about the graph?

:unsure:

@Gene-Peer OMG thanks a lot!! I substituted in z=x+yi and got some weird stuffs and not finish it :crying: so stupid..

@Asukers it's okay. just ask anything anytime :P

when discriminant>0, there are 2 roots, meaning the curve will cut the x-axis twice.

when discriminant=0, there is only 1 root, meaning the curve will only cut the x-axis once, or the curve is touching the x-axis.

when discriminant<0, there are no roots, meaning the curve will not cut the x-axis.

a better demonstration:

discriminant.gif

Thank you so much! That did clarify it. So basically the discriminant plays a role in the vertical translation of a quadratic?

and also, what does "distinct root" mean?

I think it means that it crosses the x axis, rather than touches? I never really understood why they did that, as when working algebraically, there's no pratical difference.

The values of b and ac, yes.

Distinct root means there is only one solution i.e. the discriminant is 0 and the function touches but does not cross the x axis.

Keel, she is asking about distinct roots.

when discriminant>0, the quadratic curve has two distinctive roots i.e. different roots.

when discriminant=0, the quadratic curve actually still has two roots, but they are not distinctive/not different. in simpler words, it has only one same root.

if it has distinct roots, the curve cuts the x-axis at two distinct points, for example the curve y=(x+3)(x-4) cuts the x-axis at (-3, 0) and at (4, 0).

if it has two same roots, the curve cuts the x-axis at one same point, for example the curve y=(x-2)² cuts the x-axis at (2, 0) i.e. it touches the x-axis.

no problem ;)

I have a question.

when I woke up this morning... I randomly thought about this:

arcsin(-x) = -arcsin(x)

arccos(-x) = arccos(x)

I know I've brought up this issue before, and people have explained it to me, but I still don't understand the 2nd one.

arccos(-x) = arccos(x)

I think it's not true. even when I substitute in numbers, it's not true. but I think:

arccos(-x) = π-arccos(x)

what do you guys think? any formal proof or explanation? thanks.

no problem ;)

I have a question.

when I woke up this morning... I randomly thought about this:

arcsin(-x) = -arcsin(x)

arccos(-x) = arccos(x)

I know I've brought up this issue before, and people have explained it to me, but I still don't understand the 2nd one.

arccos(-x) = arccos(x)

I think it's not true. even when I substitute in numbers, it's not true. but I think:

arccos(-x) = π-arccos(x)

what do you guys think? any formal proof or explanation? thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_trigonometric_functions#Relationships_among_the_inverse_trigonometric_functions

You will find it under the "Relationships among the inverse trigonometric functions" section. The first graph to the right demonstrates it quite well. So you were right with arccos(-x) = π-arccos(x)

Hello guys! I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out the equations for this trig graph from my homework. I've never been that good at trig so yeah.>.>

Untitled.jpg?t=1306015213

The graph increases from left to right, so I assumed it a tangent graph. We need to find 2 equations for this graph.

I found the tangent equation but I'm not sure if I did it the right way: first I found the vertical displacement and the phase shift that are pretty obvious on the graph, then since a tangent graph's period is pi not 2pi like that of cosine and sine graphs, and the period on this graph is 2pi, the frequency (or B) is 1/2

Then it seems like the graph has been vertically compressed, so I found a point on the graph (8pi/9,0) and solved for the amplitude (A)

my tangent equation is y=0.24tan((x+0.25pi)/2)+1

I did the same thing for the cotangent graph, but then the cotangent graph is a mirror image of the tangent graph and I can't use reflections since the graph doesn't reflect off the y-axis. So now I'm stuck with only one equation, any idea how I can find the second equation?

Thanks.

Guest hellokitty818

I have the points A(1,3,-17) and B(6,-7,8) which lie on line l. Then I was able to get the equation of the line in parametric form but then I am stuck on part b. It says that point p is on line l that OP is perpendicular to l. Find the coordinates of P. Your inputs are greatly appreciated please HELP :{

Use vectors.

Equation for I is r= a + λb, where a is any of the vectors OA or OB and b is the the vector AB or BA.

Since r is the position vector to any point on the line I (including p), and b is the direction vector of the line, you are looking for the point where r is perpendicular to b, i.e., r.b=0 (full stop for dot-product). Solve for λ, then substitute the solution into r and you've got the position vector OP.

Just had a stats test, and I think (hope) I got everything correct except this question:

A machine fills bottles with orange juice. A sample of six bottles is taken at random. The bottles contain the following amounts (in ml) of orange juice: 753, 748, 749, 752, 750, 751.

Find

(a) the sample standard deviation;

(b) an unbiased estimate of the population standard deviation from which this sample is taken.

Okay, so I put the list into my GDC, and found Sx = 1.87, which is the sample standard deviation, but apparently it's 1.71?

I then did the correct process to find the unbiased estimate sqrt(n)/(n-1)* 1.87 - 2.05, but since my answer for a was wrong, that was too.

Was I wrong in thinking Sx is the sample standard deviation? I thought sigmax was the population one, so I'm not sure . . .