Portfolio Type I -- Shadow Functions

Bffs

Hi, I've just finished my first IA on Shadow function so I think my experience my help.

Basically, you put the value of a, b for quadratics (or c, d for cubics and quartics, depend on your solutions). Then you can find ym, and deduce the relationship between y1, y2, ym.

how do you start with the quartics part? :S

You put the value in and find ym. Then try to use a, b, c, d to solve and deduce the general formula for each of the equation.

Hi, this IA is due in two days time and I am almost finished but have been reading the criteria so if someone could please help me, it would be greatly appreciated :)

What are the scope and the limitations of the general statement? That is y2=2ym+y1?

Thank you so much!!

Edited by marissa.l

If funny that those people that think that they are smart and work hard okkky but others are less intelligent you PEOPLE !! and need your help .. that why IB smacher (me ;D ) is here to save you day .. by uploading the task to the files section ..

Very funny of you.

1) Intelligent people here give all the help they can without breaking any rules.

2) Sharing current IAs is against IBO rules.

3) If the 'less' intelligent people you're talking about put a little effort and not ask for the answers directly, we would have helped them.

4) By uploading your IA, you, IB Smacher are going to get you and others IB Smached.

5) You didn't really save their day because files are only available to VIPs and VIP subs.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I've kinda missed the boat on this one, but how exactly does one expres y2 in terms of y1 and ym? I have everything up to that point, but I'm not entirely sure what its asking about that.

Probably a simple question and once I get pushed in the right direction at least I'll feel like an idiot xP

Which, do you think, is the best application to plot functions for this portfolio? (for Mac) I struggle finding something powerful and simple

For Mac I am not sure, but I know that GeoGebra and Autograph are good tools to use for this portfolio. You get GeoGebra for free and it is simpler than Autograph.

Good luck!

/ Adam

• Like 1

Noticed theres another shadow fucntions thread but didnt want to hijack.

Im completely stuck at point 4 of part B where it wants a provable general statement, that point is extremely broad, what exactly does should that general statement acheive? or what should it show?

Point 4 asks you to find a general statement that relate y1, y2, and ym where y1 and y2 are cubic functions. Then you must prove this statement to show that it works for cubic function.

Thanks! I had trouble with the exact same question. Just another thing about this general statement: Do you think it can contain the variables b and a apart from Y1, Y2 and Ym? (I don't know how to get rid of them, so it'd be great if that was possible ...)