Portfolio Type I -- Shadow Functions

Bffs

Sorry, this came up before and wasn't answered but what format are we supposed to use for an Internal Assessment such as this one? I've tried looking for examples online but, so far, nothing's turned up. Is there any sample IA, or, better yet, any general format I can use for my Internal Assessment?

Edit:

Just checked the files section and found some. Sorry!

Edit 2:

Aww shucks. Just found out that I can't actually use the files section. That's a bit of a bummer.

Edited by Muzzammil Imran Shittu

Edit:

Just checked the files section and found some. Sorry!

Edit 2:

Aww shucks. Just found out that I can't actually use the files section. That's a bit of a bummer.

In order to access the files section, you need to be a member of the VIP group. Find more information here: http://www.ibsurvival.com/index.php?app=core&module=help&do=01&HID=17 and here: http://www.ibsurvival.com/index.php?app=core&module=help&do=01&HID=19.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can;t seem to write an introduction that's long enough. This is the first year for IB in our school and yeah, our teachers aren't much help. I explained polynomials and complex roots and that was only 100 words. What else can I say? Thank you :D

Add what software you are going to use also add a picture of the software you are going to use ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When applying the formula to quartics, are the two roots real and two complex, or are all four complex? Because the equation would be applied differently. Thank you :P

You consider both the cases; one when two roots are real and two roots are complex, and another case when all four roots are complex. See how the similar relation between real function, shadow function, and shadow generating function turns up.

• 3 weeks later...

First you need to find y2, y1 and ym from the functions you consider.

Make separate equations for each using the same variables like a, b or whatever.

Once you have that write out y2.

Find something in y2 which you can replace with something from the equation in y1 and ym.

A bit hard to explain, if you do not understand what i mean, how about tell me what you got for y1, y2 and ym so we can figure something out?

• 5 weeks later...

I started by just trying to do the math, doing what the task asked. Once I had a good understanding of what I was dealing with (which was about halfway through), I started writing.

If you have a hard time understanding what to do to solve the problems, try using software like GeoGebra to illustrate the functions. It's very handy, as you can use sliders to easily change the variables. At the very least, do it when you are done, to see if you did it right.

I've found a truly wonderful proof for the general statement. Unfortunately, it's too big to fit in this margin.

At any rate, you who needs help, try playing around with the abstract algebra. If you need to model some equations with real numbers, try using SAGE math to program this with an interact function. WIth this in mind, one can do wonders trying to find the connection between a polynomial function, its shadow and its shadow generating function.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know how to solve the last part of Part A of the portfolio...... the one where they ask u to draw a labelled diagram illustrating how the zeros of y2 may be helpful in the determination of the real and imaginary components of the complex zeros of y2...... i wud appreciate some help.... thanx