Are IB students clique-y at your school?

• 3 weeks later...

It isn't really like that were I go.. most of the students here (here as in an international school) are from different countries who have moved quite a lot from country to country (I've lived in 7 different countries). Hence, we've all learnt to adapt to changing environment - meaning schools. There aren't any apparent cliques or groups aside from maybe one small one from students who have known each other for ages. The thing is we are all pretty much socially awkward so we don't fit in any particular social group. As weird as it sounds it helps, since we are all socially awkward together. 

On the other hand, I come from a school with 100 students.. maybe that helps? Before attending my IB school, I was in a regular american school in Tangier, Morocco. As much as I loved it there for the climate/scenery/food, there was a huge problem with cliques. Any new student felt oppressed because those that were there had all attended preschool together. As a result, you felt like a fish out of water, unaccepted unless you were 'popular' or a rich kid. Moving away wasn't all me of course, it had to do with other factors but I did ask to leave; it was getting tiring seeing the same people 5 times a week that discarded you or "bullied" you if you weren't in their clique

The IB may be a minority, but it's family-like. As foolish/cheesy as it may sound, I'm happy to attend class here, knowing it's smiles all around when you walk in the class, regardless who you hang out most with. I don't know about the other schools but that's just how I feel about mine  :)

Edited by erocher

• 5 years later...
On 5/11/2011 at 10:17 AM, iMuffinsx3 said:

i find that in my school IB students tend to clump together in "packs."

I think that in general, because we share so many classes together

IB students tend to hang out with exclusively IB students

with some mingling between regular students.

In my school people seem to really take pride in the fact

that they are part of the IB program and i sometimes feel as if it's very exclusive.

Does anyone feel the same? Or is it different?

In my school, you have to do IB in years 11 and 12. Also we only have 5 students (including myself) in year 11. We're kind of a clique, but it's more just that we're very close friends since we spend pretty well every second at school together.

• 4 weeks later...

My school is just an IB school, only IB and only year 11 and 12. This is the first year it's been open, so theres around 23 of us in the whole school. There are two cliques plus the people who have been 'cut off'. These people are either never at school, therefore losing any possible bond they could have, or have done something really bad (one guy called women breeders saying we weren't dominant enough for anything else, and a majority of us are female). The cliques are there, one more introverted than the other, and they are potent. A lot of conflict and distaste comes from one group towards mine, and are very close with the teachers, spreading rumours about us and trying to paint us in a really bad light. Frankly, they are just quite rude. Still very clique-y even now.

• 3 months later...

At my school, the IB students are definitely cliquey. But I dare to offer a reasonable explanation for this. It's not so simple as being in all the same classes, as this applies to certificate students as well. You see, the normal track people just don't understand us. I've heard so many stories of their complaints about their workload. These people think it's torture to have only a week or even a weekend to write an essay, and this only occurs maybe once a month. We're expected to do this on a weekly basis. That is just one example. Overall, I think that it's better to be around people who understand what you're going through academically.