Are IB students clique-y at your school?

At my school all juniors and seniors are IB candidates, and about half of our class is "full IB" and going for their IB diploma. We don't really have a choice in the matter. Some IB classes are just required and because of that we all share some form of uniform pain (cough..IB English HL). And so many of us are going for our IB diploma that there really is no separation. We are also 5th through 12th school, so we all had a chance to form cliques before IB even reared its head, there are no IB cliques at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I go to a high school with approx. 900 students. And there are only 24 IB students. 15 in IB2 and 9 of us in IB1...

Every one in the school knows what IB is and who goes on the IB. When I first started with the IB I usually got pulled aside on the hallway and asked whether I was really an IB student from the kids I've never seen in my whole life, nor talked to them...

And when walking down the hallways we usually stick together because we talk IB things and discuss IB topics and stuff.

So yeah, the IB in our school is kinda clique-ish but not in a bad way I believe. Some of the kids can call us ridged and cocky, and well... arogant. But just because they are narrow-minded and think IB is an elite... I don't think we are... Why would we be, damned??? :/ We are a big family, and we stick together because we help ourselves, unlike all the other classmates in other classes in our school. :)

• 9 months later...

Absolutely.

There are 15 of us in a school of over 3,000 and because IB isn't that big in Australia the other kids don't understand it. When I said I had a 'CAS meeting' my non-IB friends thought I was referring to the type of calculator, even though I had explained cas before. I think it's because all us IB kids have a lot in common and can relate to what we're all going through so we stick together. A lot of us still have non-IB friends but we don't see them as much.

In my school the Ib is represented as a new faction of students. We are in the most literal sense: "those guys who speak English all the time"

Since the IB program is relatively new in our school, whcih is a local school where the primary languages are german, French and luxembourgish, it is hard for students currently undergoing the Ib program to mingle with the other local students.

However, there are some students which have transitioned from the Iocal School system into the IB, and since they speak luxembourgish, they are the link which allows IB students and locals to mix.

Coming back to your question, I wouldnt say that IB students are independantly "clique-ey", but they are sort of pushed aside from the locals.

At my school we have two IB classes, one being in the first year and the second being in the second year of the diploma.

That means that there are around 50-60 IB students, and they all have their lessons in the same school department.

The fact that we all share the same subjects means that most of us have to hang out constantly.

My boyfriend is a non-IB student, however, so I find myself "mingling" with other students more often than with my classmates.

I can understand why a lot of IB students only hang out with others of "their kind", though. :D

Oh, hell yea :D

Even more so among those of us who have one class and only one class. At my school, there is one Physics HL class, with 16 or so students, and one Math HL class, with most of those and a few others, and as such, we are a pretty clique-y group :P of course we interact with everyone else too, but there definitely is a strong community, since you have 4 semesters of the same class with the same people and the same teacher...

I have 3,000 students in my school (yea, I know its a big school!). There are only 42 IB Seniors, in my graduating class. Our class max is 28, with this said, you kinda get the picture that we see each other EVERYDAY, and ALLDAY. Thpugh its funny we all walk the SAME way to go to class because we share most of our classes. We are like a herding flock of sheeps! Though, currently I do hang put with those outside of IB . In fact, my best friend its not in IB.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, sort of. We have around 2,000 kids in my school, but there are only 30-something in the senior class, between 17-19 in the junior class, 19 in my pre-IB class, 18 of which are rather serious about staying, and then there are 40 or 50 in the freshman pre-IB class, many of which are dropping. There are the ex-IBers, who religiously swear that they would never go back, and then they fit into the non-IB groups. We tend to stick together and are pretty close. My sister, who is in AP said that she wishes her classmates were as close as we are. Of course, we have friends outside of the IB, and then there are some kids who just don't get it. They call us slaves of the school and practically pity us, but its a general misconception. There's also some kids that will alienate us simply because we are in IB, but that doesn't matter since the IBers stick together:)

It doesn't happen on purpose, however there is a noticeable rift between academics and full IBs. There are some outliers and the certificates act as a bridge between the to groups, but for the most part within our 25-3 IB students most social functions, friendships and relationships are within the group. The problem is mostly that we don't have a large enough population to have a big number of IB courses. We mostly have language and science type courses so we don't get a full spectrum of students.

Some teachers complain about the program as they feel it creates an elitist club for the brightest minds instead of integrating them and raising the ability and performance 'academic" classes, and i say academic in quotations as it is simply the name of the course level and isn't a representation of the people in it. meaning most academics are in IB...

so yes IB is rather cliquey at my school...

By the way, even though I already answered I feel like I should add one more point:

There are no good IB parties. It's simply too small of a community for that (at my school, anyways), so the main time that us IBers interact with the rest of our grade is on the weekends, when we're all goin crazy and having an awesome time, when no one cares if you're in IB, AP, Honors, or on level.

However, only about... 2/3 of the full IB kids (maybe 40-50 in 12th grade) actually go to parties... (Not sure if that has to do with IB, or just those people's preferences).

But I suppose, as far as in school interactions goes, it's clique-ey, but not exclusively so, since there definitely is interaction outside of IB, especially in classes that aren't only full IB kids (such as English, History) and from there you end up interacting with other people, who you become good friends with.

Edited by freezy19

• 4 weeks later...

Almost all of the students in my high school do IB.

We sort of regard people who don't do IB as sorta, how do I put it nicely, uh....not gonna say it. It's not nice. We don't like them because they don't suffer as much as us. >: D

From the IB students, the students get divided into:

HL Maths freaks(moi)

Double Human Sciences(moi)

Double Natural Sciences

Eccentric Arts people

Computer Science, ITGS people

• 2 weeks later...

This doesn't happen to my school at all, although you could still roughly see groups forming but that's only because these people have the most classes together being in the IB program. I think the reason why this doesn't really apply is because our school is generally American-based, so most people are doing APs. Also, us IB kids have the opportunity to take an extra elective course, so we still share classes with non-IB people. The non-IB people also share classes with us as they have the choice to take IB courses (without doing the diploma). We keep our friends from the previous years as well.

Edited by ilovepotato

most of the IB students at my school already hung out together so we do in a way have our own cliques. But since IB is new at my school, there are students, such as myself, that hang out with non-IB kids. other kids at my school see us as some kind of "cult". the IB kids do relate more easily because we all have similar classes and experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

In my school there is not much difference because we all have friends outside the IB (normal students) and hang out with our own groups. But inside the classroom, you can see the difference because of the "atmosphere" that has been created due to our small group, with our jokes and help between us.

I

At my school, there is the IB Academy, Business and Communications Academy, and the Global Health and Science Academy. Everyone in the IB Academy does tend to clique up but our placement in the school separates us from the other students, whereas the other two academies share more classes together. Although, I have friends that are outside of the IB Academy... I just don't get to see them much during school.

I would love to say that our school is not like that...but sadly it is

In my social group there is only two kid who doesn't do IB hangs out with us

It's even funnier in Homegroup, basiaclly the classroom is split up into IB and SACE kid's turf,

I don't know why really, but IB kids do tend to hang around each other more, complaining and crying over tests, assignments, ranting over teachers and stuff. And whenever a new club starts, or need leaders, the club is usually filled with either year 8s or the IB kids screaming "I want cas hours!!" (that's actually true)

But then again, it differes from people to people. Most of my friends do IB anyway, so,

• Like 1

^one of said friends who does IB.

To add on to Susanne's point, I actually am finding myself drifting apart from my friends from year 10 who now do SACE (the other option) because they just don't understand half the stuff I have to do. If I say I make a joke about ToK, my SACE friends will probably be all "lolwut?" at me.

It's sad.

But yeah, IB students in my school are really cliquey, even though there are 60 of us in stage 1 and a little more than that in stage 2.

^one of said friends who does IB.

To add on to Susanne's point, I actually am finding myself drifting apart from my friends from year 10 who now do SACE (the other option) because they just don't understand half the stuff I have to do. If I say I make a joke about ToK, my SACE friends will probably be all "lolwut?" at me.

It's sad.

But yeah, IB students in my school are really cliquey, even though there are 60 of us in stage 1 and a little more than that in stage 2.

No, there is actually approximately 80 of us, I think in stage 1. OUr year is supposed to be the biggest so far. :irene: