Are IB students clique-y at your school?

i find that in my school IB students tend to clump together in "packs."

I think that in general, because we share so many classes together

IB students tend to hang out with exclusively IB students

with some mingling between regular students.

In my school people seem to really take pride in the fact

that they are part of the IB program and i sometimes feel as if it's very exclusive.

Does anyone feel the same? Or is it different?

• Like 3

My school is basically the same as your school.

I really don't like that it's that way. With other classes (In concern to the graduating year) don't really have that problem. The class that graduated last year had a close bond between all students. This year, the IB and non-IB students are GENERALLY seperated by a sort of gulf. lol

Everyone in my school really hangs out with everyone, but the cliques are still prevalent lol.

It's the same why at my school; we know and get along with the non-IBers, but we hang out with other IB kids more.

I see it a lot in the Junior class, but that may just be because we're the first class to go through this program and so really we're the only ones that understand what we're all going through.

We started with 38 kids in Freshmen year, and now I believe we're down to 25. So we just keep getting closer, lol.

This is somewhat the same at our school as well. Our classes are even smaller - 9 to 20 - so I view it as more or less unavoidable.

However, while everyone is friends with everyone inside IB, almost everyone has friends outside of IB classes as well. I personally hang out with people outside of IB more often than not. The problem is that, at my school, I just don't see myself hanging out with the majority of the students in the regular classes.

In my class, we only have seven full IBDP Candidates so we're pretty close. Most of the other people we hang out with are at least partial IB students. I've been in honors classes and IB classes since 6th grade. I don't think I even know anyone not in at least one or two IB classes.

In my school there are various subsets to that as well. The level of IB connectedness in my school generally correlates to the math you take.

The math studies kids hang out a lot with non-IB kids. Non-IB students are actually required to take studies in my school. SL kids generally stay within the IB group, but have normal friends out of IB. HL math (w/ HL physics, usually) kids stay with their group and are friends with the more weird? strange? abnormal(ly amazing :P ) students. This is all about diploma not certificate candidates.

I have my IB friends and my non-IB friends (though, most of these non-IB people are taking 1 or 2 certificate or AP :D )

Most definitely. It's hard when 7/8 classes are only with IBers. And I think it's because we bond over wanting to kill ourselves at one point or another. Jk (sort of), but we do bond over the workload. There is a significant separation between AP and IB at my school; there are IB students or anti-IB students (most having dropped it). The anti-IBers believe it's stupid and strongly oppose it. Most times, they were just lazy or couldn't handle the work. :b

• Like 2

Well in my school there are 80 people in my batch. Out of ALL of them 22 have taken IB. At least in my school IB students are stereotyped as being hard working intellectuals and are therefore considered being the upper creme of school. We dont hang together all that often but we DO have our classes together.

This is interesting.

At my school, us IB kids are all from different cliques, so we don't really have an 'IB only' group. There are small groups WITHIN IB, but at recess and lunch we go to our different groups, with the people doing VCE, our other option (which is done by the vast majority)

my school is the same as yours sarahlouise. There's only 8 ib students, whilst we all get along, we all have friends groups from a levels that we go to at break and lunch. I think it is nicer that way. Because there are so few of us and we have all our classes together if we spent mroe time with eachother we'd get sick of eachother or annoyed. It's nice to have our space soemtimes!!

At our school, the majority of students do IB and the minority do A-Levels, so no, IB students here don't hang in exclusive groups. In fact it's the A-Level students who tend to stick with each other. But having said that, a few of my closest friends are A-Level students!

Definitely clique-y. Again, there are like seven of us...

We complain a lot... And talk about school a lot...

And the people who aren't full DP and are only taking a few IB courses think we're pretentious...

But we aren't we just close to eachother because we share the exact same life. haha

I find that we, the IB (and non IBers, to me anyway) are like a family at school. We all share the same pain, and we all go to each other for help :) Of course, I personally have many non-IB friends in all the different grades, so I do make sure to say hello to them. I find myself either working on my homework (stuff I don't get...) or hanging out with my non-IB friends. I don't have ANY classes with them, not for the next year :( So I make sure we eat lunch together and catch up. Since I go to a school based on language and not area, it's hard to meet up with friends who live +40 minutes away on a regular basis :blum:

And so the "groups" I can see are: (not cliques, groups :D)

- the smokers, the "this is my life"-people...

- the more shy group of guys

- a few groups of girlies who like to keep to themselves

- And of course, the IB diploma students who all do IB math together :D

- OH! and the grade 12s --> I see two distictif groups with them. The more athetic ones, and the other who like to talk and stuff...

Edited by egr12resa

Definitely clique-y. Again, there are like seven of us...

We complain a lot... And talk about school a lot...

And the people who aren't full DP and are only taking a few IB courses think we're pretentious...

But we aren't we just close to eachother because we share the exact same life. haha

I posted on this yesterday. And I was reading your comment now. And I was like oh my gosh!!! It's the same at my school!! Then I read the username and realized you GO to my school. Hahaha

Guest Red XII

My school is composed entirely of IB students and pre-IB students, so there's no "IB clique." I think we definitely have the effect wherein IB students bond together, though, but since that applies to the school, it basically forms a clique-less environment. Yes, there are definitely social circles, but they're in no way distinct - most of them overlap significantly with all of the other ones. While most students have a group of their closest friends (as is healthy), most students socialize and hang out with most other students. Pretty much everyone in the senior class knows everyone else in the senior class, and we know much of the junior class, too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My old school where I started Pre-IB is a tight-knit group. Most non-IB friends are from middle school and lived in the attendence zone for the school, sports, or music. But they definitely aren't as close with those kids than the other IB kids. But it was really good being so close-no one formed cliques and we all mingled together. Plus you actually got to be friendly with most everyone. No one is awkwardly left out of anything.

My new school isn't as close, which is good and bad. This school has certificate students, so there are larger classes and more kids to interact with. But then you only see some kids a few times a day. Which gets awkward. And annoying when they complain about a few IB classes.

Yeah, i have to agree that the IB kids at my school are one big family.

(There are 53 of us graduating this year).

Everyone knows everyone and we all care and look out for one another.

We do have friends outside of the IB (you know, non-IBers) but they are a select few who get along with everyone.

I kind of like the idea of the IB kids being a family because it's something solid to hold onto. :)