Are IB students clique-y at your school?

• 2 months later...

nope. thats definitely not the case in our school. We have other programs such as the AS program and BETC at our school, and during break times and stuff, you see AS, BETC and IB students chilling together.

Our school doesnt have that "oh im an ib student I should just be friends will other ib students cuz we are better than everyone else" mentality. 

A lot of the kids at my school who are testing IB in certain subjects for the certificate program get along with full diploma kids, but they still aren't part of the group. I would say that sometimes the group can be a little clique-y, but I'm not sure everyone else at the school cares. We just can't relate to each other that much.

Oh yeah, absolutely.

It has a lot to do with the fact that IB students tend to be very work-oriented and so it comes up more than we know in conversation (misery loves company - we just won't shut up about deadlines). That said, I'm sure we're downers to those not familiar with that sort of rigor.

Of course, we hang out with AP kids sometimes because a lot of them were our friends before we joined the IB program, but even that gets reduced to a point. At my school we even have parties that are IB-exclusive, ahaha! It just happens that way.

• 1 month later...
Guest M.Windt

My school is IB only, but still there are these teribble groups in ever class. And once these groups have formed there is no way of being accepted in another group. This means you are stuck with the same friends for the rest of your IB years.

Wish me luck, i have 2 more years to go.

My school offers PYP, MYP and DP, there are around 2000-2400 students in total, 110-130 doing their second year of DP and another 110-130 doing their first year of IB. I'm currently in my first year of DP. There are numerous of groups in my year, we usually tend to stay within our own group and year level, sometimes we linger around and venture into different groups. The DP students tend to stick to themselves, while the MYP and PYP students stick to themselves as well.  

Really? At our school, our entire Year Level have known each other their entire school life, so basically once class is done, all the IB people and non-IB people are all mixing as per normal. I never knew that their was the whole segregation thing in other schools, that's actually kind of sad. 

i find that in my school IB students tend to clump together in "packs."

I think that in general, because we share so many classes together

IB students tend to hang out with exclusively IB students

with some mingling between regular students.

In my school people seem to really take pride in the fact

that they are part of the IB program and i sometimes feel as if it's very exclusive.

Does anyone feel the same? Or is it different?

My old school was similar to yours. 

Some IB students (esp. certificates) hung out with regular students, but most IB kids hung out by themselves. 

What was bad was that some them were really arrogant. Many thought that they are superior to the regular students, while that might not be necessarily true. 

We've got the split in my school. IB kids and other kids; and it's very clear who spends most time studying because they're always with other IBers, while the more laid back people hang out with non-IBers as well. It's kind of sad, but also natural, I spend most of my time studying or thinking about studying so I have little to talk about with non-IB people from school.

In order to answer this post I'd like to draw attention to a comment made by my IB Psychology teacher while explaining "in-crowd" and "out-crowd" to us. 

At our school the IB Kids are the "in-crowd" and the Gen-Ed kids are the "out-crowd". At least that's how the IB students perceive it. We commonly refer to the 'others' as "gen-ed commoners", "gen-ed monkeys", and numerous other terms (such as imbeciles, idiots, etc.). Of course it doesn't help that our school is known for two things: its geniuses (aka the ib kids) and its stoners (aka the gen-ed idiots). We tend to steer clear of one another, and actually insult each other quite often. 

Yeah remember SmackHigh? Our schools Smack-High was basically the gen-ed kids insulting the IB kids and the IB kids insulting the gen-ed kids. 

SO yes! To answer your question, the IB students at my school are more clique-y than Mean Girls...

XOXO,

K.

Well, my school is an IB school, so everyone here is taking IB (it is impossible to take certificates here...). There is only one grade of each year, as the school is pretty small. They are pretty cliquy but I actually tend to hang out with them more than with my classmates :P

• 1 month later...

Yeah, at my school IBers are definitely a clique. It's probably because the IB is a completely different to the standard curriculum, so IB students have different things to talk about and even tend to stay at school at different times. Also I hate to say this, but it leads to some arrogance among the IBers... but it would be hard to avoid at any rate.

• Like 1

The IBs usually mingle with just the IB students in our school, except when they have friends on the normal side previously already. We also feel better than the normal students (well duh, normal side students can basically just sleep through their courses and simply do exams at some point and pass the school...yay Finland....).

Me and my friends refer to the normal side students as "peasants".

We also have our own "Cave", a common room which is intended for all the students of the school, but the IB has exclusively claimed dominance, and no normal student ever dares enter.

• 6 months later...

I think it heavily depends on how much time you really have to spend with each other. Since I'm partial and don't go to school other than for IB classes, they're the only people I am around. Therefore, we are pretty cliquey. Some of us have friends outside of IB, but we mostly stick with each other.