chicheto93

@Macrofire - How on earth did you do that? Help an inexperienced guy out here! Hahahah. I don't even have this portfolio, just interested!

Ontopic:

Like I've explained, you can back-substitute into a system. For an equation of degree 3, lets say, which has points which lie on it that are (e,f)(g,h)(i,j)(k,l):

The system that defines the values for the coefficients is linear. As follows:

f=ae^3+be^2+ce+d

and so on, using respective pairs. Then you can solve the four equations for the four coeffficient variables a b c and d as you already know e and f. See my previous post for more detail - Desy I believe also ahs one earlier in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Err general question. This site,http://www.cs.xu.edu/math/math120/01f/logistic.pdf, has the equations for solving a logistical equation analytically but in the context of a different data set. Would it be plagiarism to use the equation in the link to help with our IA even if we explain the steps? e.g. there is an equation for finding a paramter derived from using the inflection point which ofc could be derived without the link but it would look very similar to that in the link.

• Like 1

Guys, it doesn´t really matter what kind of equation you get for the first questions, because you are going to change it for the very last question, just because this tasks are supposed to be a learning process, so for the first question where they ask you to create an equation, you should try a linear regression, which can be easily done, like in this document http://www.ibsurvival.com/files/file/2640-linear-regression/.

This is also an analytic method, so is permitted to use it.

Then, in the questions that come after this, you can use any other graphing method to obtain another equation, with the purpose of getting you to critizise tour own works, an in the last question, you should think if your equation is really far from the new data given, and may have to get a new equation, which is really easy. The hard part is to explain everything

Edited by jgeorge095

OK so I'm currently working on the gold medal portfolio, and apparently some of the data I got for this particular portfolio is wrong: the 1896 height is listed as 190cm when actually it was 181cm and the 1900 high jump, which isn't listed, was the one where the winning height was 190cm. Also, the height for the 1924 Olympics isn't listed even though the assignment sheet I got says the table gives the results from ALL the Olympic events since 1896. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this, and what they did about it. Should I mention that and use the real results or just go with what I'm given?

• 1 month later...

Can somebody please help me. I'm supposed to use the correlation coefficient in order to prove how well my model fits, which worked for the linear function. I now have to do it with a non-linear function - a logistic one. Does anyone know how to do this? please

• 3 months later...