Portfolio Type II -- Modelling a Functional Building

karlp

Is anyone else getting different ratios for point 4?

I am getting different ratios for point 4 but I think it should be same because I am getting different just for two heights...for other heights m getting the same ratios

• 1 month later...

Stupid question, but.....how would I go about finding the equation of the parabola?

Just want to be certain.

I've created my model with a 36m height, and I know how to get the maximum dimensions....but I'm just wondering about the parabola.

Thanks.

Edited by nametaken

• 4 weeks later...

Room Height? What are you changing.. ? I'd say just keep it constant throughout your portfolio, I know in mine I explained the height I chose to say how it would include room for the infloor utilities and that kind of thing.

It's a given value so I can't see why you would need to prove it.

I'm assuming that's what you meant anyway.

It's the minimum height because any smaller and you wouldn't be able to fit some people in there! Also with council regulations etc. However make sure you consider what having every floor as 2.5m means in regards to your actual model :)

Anyway, to be able to compare all the different models you will need the floor height the same.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys,

This is my first post.

I have one question. Do we consider the parabola in the range of -36<x<36 or 0<x<72. Please help me with this question.

Thank you so much for your reply... i have to submit it tomorrow....

Edited by A_B_D

Hello guys,

This is my first post.

I have one question. Do we consider the parabola in the range of -36<x<36 or 0<x<72. Please help me with this question.

Thank you so much for your reply... i have to submit it tomorrow....

anything would be fine. the first one is probably easier though :)

Edited by Desy Glau

Thanks Desi Glau. But when we use derivation, to find the maximum area in order to find maximum volume, the results are different. Which one did you use? the maximum volume of the cuboid which I found out was 149649.1898 m^3. Is this correct ? Please reply....thanks

Edited by A_B_D

Thanks Desi Glau. But when we use derivation, to find the maximum area in order to find maximum volume, the results are different. Which one did you use? the maximum volume of the cuboid which I found out was 149649.1898 m^3. Is this correct ? Please reply....thanks

you're welcome. no, the volume/area under the curve must be the same. my max volume is 149616 m^3. please quote me so I get a notification (i.e. so I can get back to you faster) otherwise I might miss your post :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the help. My equation is (-x^2/36)+36. Is this correct ?

To find the area I will use derivation of 2x((-x^2/36)+36). Is this correct?

Thanks

yup they're both correct :yes:

Thank you so much.. you saved my life... One last question, some guys told me that the dimensions of the cuboid are 25.5 x 50.8 x 150 and the volume is 194,310 . Which is correct, 194310 or 149649(which I found ). thank you...this is my last doubt..

Edited by Summer Glau
please don't use text speak. thanks!
  • Like 1

Thank you so much.. u saved my life... One last question, some guys told me that the dimensions of the cuboid are 25.5 x 50.8 x 150 and the volume is 194,310 . Which is correct, 194310 or 149649(which I found ). thank you...this is my last doubt..

look, if you substitute y=25.5 to your function, the 2x will be 38.9 instead of 50.8, so that guy must have had a wrong model (or maybe he was talking about a different model with a different height) that's why.

yours is just correct. believe me :D

no problem, if you need any more help just let me know!

• Like 1