Portfolio Type II -- Modelling a Functional Building

karlp

hello so i was wondering if anyone would help me out. for the fourth bullet, it days to calculate the wasted space right? and so as i was reading through this forum, i saw that you can do it on excel. but i am like to tech noob that i do not understand what you guys are saying about like putting in the values into one column or something...D: if i don't get this down then i have to do all 36-54 by hand...please help me

Hey guys! When you need to find the total maximum office floor area... Do you choose one height for a room and use it in all of your calculations?

Like, if the smallest height is 24, and I choose the room height to be of 3m, then there are 8 floors. Am I doing this right or there is something wrong there?

And just wanted to check if the floor area for the first height will be 86400, if the height of room is 3m...

How does the paper have to be formatted? I'm trying to make it as if I'm the architect sending a letter to my boss about all of these specifications and calculations. Do you think that's alright? If not, how else should I format it? :huh:

Hey guys! When you need to find the total maximum office floor area... Do you choose one height for a room and use it in all of your calculations?

Like, if the smallest height is 24, and I choose the room height to be of 3m, then there are 8 floors. Am I doing this right or there is something wrong there?

And just wanted to check if the floor area for the first height will be 86400, if the height of room is 3m...

You should have found that the max width was 24 x sqr(3)and that the height of the block was (2/3) that of the height of the facade.

Therefore, AFloor= length x width x No. floors

To find the number of floors, determine the height for each floor and divide the height of the block over this. If you use 3m you should get the number of floors to be [(2/3)h]/3 where h is the height of the block within the facade. I think h has the parameters 36< or equal to h < or equal to 54.

How does the paper have to be formatted? I'm trying to make it as if I'm the architect sending a letter to my boss about all of these specifications and calculations. Do you think that's alright? If not, how else should I format it? :huh:

I don't think that level of creativity is needed. A good way to lay it out is to use subtitles e.g. "What Would Happen if the Façade is Placed on the Longer Side of the Base?"

It was advised that the report should be written so it could 'stand on its own'. I think that means that you should give the context of your work and not just have pure calculations and answers. You can talk through the process of why you are doing what you are doing. eg. we are must find this in order to do this.... or let us consider this....

Edited by Keel

You should have found that the max width was 24 x sqr(3)and that the height of the block was (2/3) that of the height of the facade.

Therefore, AFloor= length x width x No. floors

To find the number of floors, determine the height for each floor and divide the height of the block over this. If you use 3m you should get the number of floors to be [(2/3)h]/3 where h is the height of the block within the facade. I think h has the parameters 36< or equal to h < or equal to 54.

Isn't it 3/4 of total height, and not 2/3? 75%? That's what I think the portfolio wants us to do, if I understand it right

• Like 1

Isn't it 3/4 of total height, and not 2/3? 75%? That's what I think the portfolio wants us to do, if I understand it right

The maximum height of the structure should not exceed 75% of its width for stability or be less than half the width for aesthetic purposes.

That's just saying that the total height of the facade should not exceed 75% of the width of the facade. I think you will find that the height of the office within the facade is 2/3 the height of the facade.

• Like 1

That's just saying that the total height of the facade should not exceed 75% of the width of the facade. I think you will find that the height of the office within the facade is 2/3 the height of the facade.

I think I might understand what you mean. Is it that if the height of facade is maximum 54, and we are using 36, then 36/54 = 2/3?

I also tried to divide the office floor I have calculated for 8 floors by office floor for 12 floors and I got 2/3 as well. :) But that is because 8/12 = 2/3

I think I might understand what you mean. Is it that if the height of facade is maximum 54, and we are using 36, then 36/54 = 2/3?

I also tried to divide the office floor I have calculated for 8 floors by office floor for 12 floors and I got 2/3 as well. :) But that is because 8/12 = 2/3

I think we've agreed that the x= +/- 12sqr3 for max area yes? so if you input it into the funtion and find the height in terms of h were h is the height of the facade you will get 2/3 h

xCiJM.gif

I think we've agreed that the x= +/- 12sqr3 for max area yes? so if you input it into the funtion and find the height in terms of h were h is the height of the facade you will get 2/3 h

xCiJM.gif

I never thought of doing this, but yes, I see how you got this now.

However, I found the number of floors in another way, which is basically very similar to yours. I multiplied the "a" value (for the first one it's -1/36, I called it "a" for no reason :) ) by 432 ((12 sqrt(3))^2), and added the height of the building to it (36 as the first value). Then I divided the number by 3 and then rounded the number to a smallest integer. When I did it your way, the answers are essentially the same, so yeah, I did it right then. Thanks!

Please help!! in this Math Hl Portfolio Type II. The one about modeling a functional building. Should I make more than one model for the roof? Or I just choose one and continue the task upon it?

Choose one, most people go with a quadratic function but you must acknowledge that other functions could be used e.g. a sin or cos or quartic functions.

Please help!! in this Math Hl Portfolio Type II. The one about modeling a functional building. Should I make more than one model for the roof? Or I just choose one and continue the task upon it?

Choose one, most people go with a quadratic function but you must acknowledge that other functions could be used e.g. a sin or cos or quartic functions.

Thanks a lot Keel.

Sorry, but do u mean exactly by acknowledging other models? For example, Should I mention the existence of other models at the end?

Yes, you say I'm going to use this function as the model but it must be acknowledged that other models can be used for example.... you can do this while you choose your function or at the end. Doesn't matter as long as you do it.

For the second to last part, I suggest you make the inner structure that looks like the following...

multi-cuboid.jpg

In case you're wondering, you cannot use this image for your IA, since I took it straight out of mine. :blum:

However, you can make one like that yourself, using Google SketchUp or any other 3D modeling software.

hey how did you do this on google sketch up. i downloaded it but i have no idea how to use it o.o like do i input equations?

consecutive post! >.< haha.... okay well since no seems to understand my previous question can i just ask if any of you guys graphed your figures...like 3D graphs?

consecutive post! >.< haha.... okay well since no seems to understand my previous question can i just ask if any of you guys graphed your figures...like 3D graphs?

It is not a requirement that you create a 3D model of the building. A model of the front of the facade will suffice.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to dig an old thread back up but this is what I'm working on at the moment!

I've just had a look in the marking schedule and Criterion C is asking about variables and parameters and constraints. Is this meaning things like how tall a building needs to be in conjunctino to those around it or is it basically just the constraints given on the task sheet?

Then to award the 4 points (out of 5) it says 'The student considers how well the model fits the data.

What would you have to do to acheive this level? I'm assuming the 5 points 'The student applies the model to other situations would be just changing the overall heights etc?

Thanks

I'm having a few troubles with Part Five. If I am correct, we are to pick our own height of each floor (the minimum being 2.5 m), and then find total floor area for all heights of the facade between 36 m and 54 m?

Or are we supposed to pick different heights of the room, like 3.5, 4.0, etc. and we test all these heights for the heights of the facade between 36 m and 54 m?

For example, if I chose the height of each room to be 3 m, then do I just calculate all different possible floor areas?

Hello guys! I just got my maths HL portfolio today, it looks scary n have never done it before. I do not know what to do, where to begin...please help meeee

I have a stupid question, the first one when they say "create a model for the curved roof" Do they mean the equation or I have to draw building with the height of 36m??? Can someone please tell me how am i going to draw this building..i got excel in my computer but i dont know how to draw it on excel? please help meeee

hello guys...m working with this portfolio "moddeling a functional building" and number 4 the ratio am getting is 0.73 but as I have chosen different heights am getting 0.73 for some of the heights and 0.71 for some of the heights...I think it should be the same for all heights..am I doing something wrong or?