Portfolio Type II -- Modelling a Functional Building

karlp

I've just thought of one thing. if you can think of an innovative, unique model for the second last point, you may get full marks for Criterion F easily!

i really want the help from you so i quote you

if i really want to get the full mark , is anything extra i can write.

and what is the unique model for the second last point??

As Desy said, you can think of a unique model that will really boost your grades. She won't tell you what is the unique model. It is called unique (meaning that it is derived from you alone).

• Like 1

i really want the help from you so i quote you

if i really want to get the full mark , is anything extra i can write.

and what is the unique model for the second last point??

well the post you just quoted gives the answer to this question of yours. the extra mile would be a unique model for the last part. perhaps you could consider shapes other than cuboids. I can't say much since this is the crucial part, but I wish you all the best :)

is that where you need to find models other than using one single cuboid? if that's the one, well basically you're asked to consider other models for example when you use two cuboids of different sizes, or even more cuboids. or, consider other shapes. then yeah just find the most efficient model.

is that where you need to find models other than using one single cuboid? if that's the one, well basically you're asked to consider other models for example when you use two cuboids of different sizes, or even more cuboids. or, consider other shapes. then yeah just find the most efficient model.

Ok I understand that part, but the problem is how do I do it ?

Hi I'm done with the main task, but i wanted to know what additional stuff can be done so that one can achieve a higher grade. Also, what do you have to write in the conclusion?

Any help will be appreciated :)

summarise everything, re-state the functions and conditions of your models.

same like previous? I thought you had finished the part with a single cuboid?

For May 2012 Portfolio Type II , which task is easier to choose ?

FILLING UP THE PETROL TANK || THE DICE GAME ?

I read both tasks and I have found that filling up the petrol tank is a very vague task. I would suggest that you do the dice game.

I second bomaha. the petrol one is very vague, the dice game is clearer but is still difficult (both are not easy)

Hi I'm done with the main task, but i wanted to know what additional stuff can be done so that one can achieve a higher grade. Also, what do you have to write in the conclusion?

Any help will be appreciated :)

summarise everything, re-state the functions and conditions of your models.

same like previous? I thought you had finished the part with a single cuboid?

For May 2012 Portfolio Type II , which task is easier to choose ?

FILLING UP THE PETROL TANK || THE DICE GAME ?

I read both tasks and I have found that filling up the petrol tank is a very vague task. I would suggest that you do the dice game.

I second bomaha. the petrol one is very vague, the dice game is clearer but is still difficult (both are not easy)

I did finish it, but its not the same though ... Is it ?

I'm so confused right now :D

Our math teacher gave only a week to finish this IA and I'm totally lost from the beginning. Also I have other IAs and Mid-term exam coming up!!! I would love to sit down and struggle with the investigation by myself.... but I really don't have time to do this...I do not want to mass up my other subjects just because of this math IA! Can anybody help me how to start this??? and what the questions mean? Thanks.

I know...everyone is as busy as you are, okay? basically you're asked to model a building. the questions are very clear to me, and I'm pretty sure you don't need anyone to help you read them. how to start? just start writing. if you keep wondering how to start what to do etc then you'll never make any progress. just do it.

if you have any specific question then people might be able to guide you. nobody is so free to outline to you what the questions mean since we're all busy with our own work too.

Hi guys. I just began the portfolio today and just finished question 1.

So, the equation for question 1 that I got is y = -1/36x^2 + 2x, is that correct? From what I have read, it's not.

How do I solve the question 2? I got the V equation for the cuboid as V = (12 - 2x)(36 - h), which is not going anywhere

How do you

"Use technology to investigate how changes to the height of the structure affect the dimensions of the largest possible cuboid."

so that it is simultaneously

"in a manner that significantly enhances the development of the task."

Of course drawing a graph/table is not enough for them. What the *** am I supposed to do? My teacher is a grumpy old woman in her 60s who has no idea how a computer works, what can I possibly do to satisfy this requirement? Please answer, this is all getting to my head and I am seriously annoyed.

How do you

"Use technology to investigate how changes to the height of the structure affect the dimensions of the largest possible cuboid."

so that it is simultaneously

"in a manner that significantly enhances the development of the task."

Of course drawing a graph/table is not enough for them. What the *** am I supposed to do? My teacher is a grumpy old woman in her 60s who has no idea how a computer works, what can I possibly do to satisfy this requirement? Please answer, this is all getting to my head and I am seriously annoyed.

I used Geogebra. Try using sliders, making the height value the variable. =)

• Like 1

I think I might understand what you mean. Is it that if the height of facade is maximum 54, and we are using 36, then 36/54 = 2/3?

I also tried to divide the office floor I have calculated for 8 floors by office floor for 12 floors and I got 2/3 as well. smile.gif But that is because 8/12 = 2/3

I think we've agreed that the x= +/- 12sqr3 for max area yes? so if you input it into the funtion and find the height in terms of h were h is the height of the facade you will get 2/3 h

xCiJM.gif

Where did you get the -1 from?

Hey, I'm kinda stuck with question 5.

Determine the total maximum offic floor area in the block for different values of height within the given specifications.

I know that when height of the structure = 36, height of the cuboid = 24

The minimum height of a office floor is 2.5.

If I take 24/2.5=9.6 => 9 floors.

However, if I take 24/2.6 => still 9 floors but the total space used for office is bigger since the rooms are taller now.

How can I find the maximum height of the floor by a more mathematical way?

• 3 weeks later...

I had a question that when you change the facade will the minimum and maximum height change to 75 and 112.5 respectively or remain 36 and 54. The reason for this is that the portfolio states that it is 50% and 75% of the width so is this width the width of the rectangular block (72 m constant) or the width of the facade? If it is the width of the rectangular block, it should remain the same at 36 and 54 right?