Portfolio Type II -- Modelling a Functional Building

karlp

SOS friends

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Ok I ABSOLUTELY NEED HELP LIKE ASAP!!

I have to pass it in 3 hrs and i still havent d done the last three points acause I have no idea what do to.

for the 6th point (question), the height must be within 75 - 112.5 m rihgt? because we swtiched the length and width of the base. so now we consider the 150 m as width and so the height must be leess than half of this value and/or not exceed 75% of 150 m COrrect?

what do I have to show now?

Please help me ;)(((

YEah... youve got to form a general equation for the height of the cuboid ... when the structure of the roof changes ... take all heights between 36-54 and use excel or even your calculator.. But using excel is reallly helpful and fast and also covers use of technology!!

can you help me with point 6? :S i am dying!! i dont know what to do!

Believe it or not, I actually used the arc tool to make that image.

The key to it is making the cuboids first and then making an arc around them.

how did you draw the inside steps and floors?

for point 6, where we need to investigate "what would happen" if the facade is placed on the longer side of the base, does this mean we have to repeat points 1,2,3,4,5 for the new facade?

Pretty much...at least, thats what I interpreted to be.

Try using Excel to aid with the calculations.

how do you do that?

Hey everyone! I need to get some things clarified here. Many of you are making 3-D models of the structure (I assume that this is because of the nature of this task, i.e. mathematical modelling). However, my teacher said that there is absolutely no need to draw 3-D models in this task. So I haven't done it yet. What should I do? The person who told me not to make a 3-D model himself is going to check my IA anyways, so should I not make a 3-D model?

The more important question comes now, and I'd seriously appreciate any help. I have done points 1-6 and have actually repeated all steps (including maximizing office block area) when the facade is placed on the longer (150m) base. When I saw points 7 and 8, I was almost horrified. Despite using excel and all graphing softwares available, my report is already 24 A4 pages long. I know all the math for points 7 and 8 too, but it would seriously be very tedious to maximise office space even further by not having the block in the shape of a single cuboid for h=36-54 (1st model) and for h=75-112.5 (2nd model). What have you guys done? Have you actually maximized office block area for all heights? Is there any pattern in increase in office block area when h is increased?

In short, for points 7 and 8, do I need to consider both models (72 x 150) and (150 x 72) and all heights within these models? BIG TIME HELP NEEDED! Have to submit it on Monday.

Thanks. ;)

Using calculus, I got that the volume of the cuboid is 143000 ish when height is 36... is this true?

Other people said they got 194400 for the vol...

What's the dimension of the cuboid when height = 36?

41.4 x 24 x 150 --- I got this...

or

50.8 x 25.5 x 150 --- Many others got this...

Which one is right and why? Am I right?

When you're using the base of the facade as 72m,

The dimensions of the cuboid when height = 36 are (150 x 41.58 x 24) cubic meters and the volume is 149688 m^3. You're correct in everything except in the value of 2x and thus x. Check it again. I got x=20.79 and 2x=41.58.

Hope this helped.

Edited by Desy ♫

heyy

what do you guys have as the parameters?

and whats the difference between a parameter and a constraint? the width of the cuboid in the first few steps is a parameter right? and the width of the roof structure is a constraint? :)

im so confusedd

Have you actually maximized office block area for all heights? Is there any pattern in increase in office block area when h is increased?

In short, for points 7 and 8, do I need to consider both models (72 x 150) and (150 x 72) and all heights within these models? BIG TIME HELP NEEDED! Have to submit it on Monday.

As you go along the investigation, you are finding out what maximizes office space/volume, as an architect you obviously want this. So your goal is to create the maximum space, you don't need to do ALL heights for points 7 and 8, thats just a waste of time :S u could do both models, but i'd focus on the bigger one, 150 x 72. do the ones that would maximize space and link it all back to what you have found out throughout the investigation ;) hope that kinda helps :S

heyy

what do you guys have as the parameters?

and whats the difference between a parameter and a constraint? the width of the cuboid in the first few steps is a parameter right? and the width of the roof structure is a constraint? :S

im so confusedd

Have you actually maximized office block area for all heights? Is there any pattern in increase in office block area when h is increased?

As you go along the investigation, you are finding out what maximizes office space/volume, as an architect you obviously want this. So your goal is to create the maximum space, you don't need to do ALL heights for points 7 and 8, thats just a waste of time :) u could do both models, but I'd focus on the bigger one, 150 x 72. do the ones that would maximize space and link it all back to what you have found out throughout the investigation :) hope that kinda helps :)

Hey, thanks a lot! I have decided to do the "maximize office floor area even further" step when the base is 72 m only for 2 heights, 36m and 54m. I'll do a detailed study of maximized office space for the model with base=150 m, since it is yielding better results from an architect's point of view (more area).

As for your question,

Constraint: (mathematics) a condition that a solution to a problem must satisfy.

Parameter: A constant in the equation of a curve that can be varied to yield a family of similar curves. (Word web)

:D

Cheers!

has anybody tried to use the ellipse equation for this ?

and can anyone confirm that the maximum volume is at x=20.7 ( width = 41.4)

And how do you usd technology to investigate how changes to the height of the structure affect the dimensions of the largest cuboid ??

sounds right, but you're rounding is a bit extreme ;)

• Like 1

What kind of equations have you been using for the model? Do you Have to use X^2 parabolic equations? or can you use different one?

thanks everyone XXx

using the parabolic function to model the building is what i did and it was way easier than using any of the other suggestions

But some of the other ones give me a bigger volume. Isn't finding the biggest volume the whole idea :/ :P

What kind of equations have you been using for the model? Do you Have to use X^2 parabolic equations? or can you use different one?

thanks everyone XXx

using the parabolic function to model the building is what i did and it was way easier than using any of the other suggestions

But some of the other ones give me a bigger volume. Isn't finding the biggest volume the whole idea :/ :P

yea that is the idea but u just want to max ur volume for ur model so if ur orginal model is larger then of course the volume will be different

my advise is to choose something and stick with it dont change the equation for the facade whether it is parabolic or not mid way through the ia

:)

• 2 weeks later...

HI, I was wondering about point 3 where it says "how changes to the height of the structure affect the dimensions of the largest possible cuboid"

I wasn't sure if my answer was correct or not but I found that as the height of the structure changes, it doesn't affect the x dimension of the largest possible cuboid, only the y dimension

Could someone please confirm whether or not this is correct.

I'm not sure if anyone has already answered this or not, but if not could someone please help.

Edited by Callum93

I wasn't sure if my answer was correct or not but I found that as the height of the structure changes, it doesn't affect the x dimension of the largest possible cuboid, only the y dimension

That is correct.

Edited by Keel
  • Like 1

Ok Thanks.

Also, another question that I had was about bullet point #5. It states, "Determine the total maximum office floor area in the block for different values of height within the given specifications."

I don't really know what it means by the maximum office floor area.

Could someone please elaborate on this. That'd be a great help.

Edited by Callum93

Could someone please elaborate on this. That'd be a great help.

This has been dealt with before and is within this topic. I advise you to go to the top right of the screen and search "floor area" within the topic. You should find what you are looking for. (If you don't then feel free to ask again)

Edited by Keel
  • Like 1

Hey!

I have been working on this portfolio for quite a while now and feel pretty confident about it. The only thing which I am unsure about (and would like only confirmation if possible) is the following: I found out that the "used" to "wasted" space ratio is the same when the width of the building is 72 and 150. Can anyone confirm this please?

Thank you!

S

• 2 weeks later...

I was working on this and was hoping if I could get a little help with it.

For the second bullet, I was really confused as to what the formula was.

I assume that it is 150*2x*y where 150 is the length and y is the formula (-1/36)x^2 + 36, yet I am really confused as to what to use for x. Is it just the points on the bottom of the graph? Like if I made my range -36<x<36 then should I simply plug in all the values between?

Thanks!