Portfolio Type II -- Modelling a Functional Building

karlp

I'm woriking on this IA and I want to make sure if what I've got so far is right. My teacher isn't very good neither with the IB regulations nor computers so he can't help me much.

I staarted off with the model of a parabola ax^2+bx+c , b=0 and c, of course, equals to the maximum height of the building.

When analyzing the dimensions of the block with the bigges volume that could fit, the x dimension came out as being independent to the height, so the only one changing would be the y dimension. Did anyone got it like that?

I think it is wierd because the followings things they ask for, they ask for each height, but they were the same value. such as the ratio between the unused space and the space of the office block.

Thanks!!!

PS: what other model have you discovered?

Yeah. I got the same...

I think there are tricky questions..

did you get x=square root (432) ???

have you done any other models?

thanks!

Not exactly (but very similar, remember if you get the highest x-possible, the length is 2x).

I have done other models, but you should try think how to maximise space. The thing is to work with the unused space, and where is minimum.

Try to interpret the rubrics this might help you.

Yeah. I got the same...

thanks!

Not exactly (but very similar, remember if you get the highest x-possible, the length is 2x).

I have done other models, but you should try think how to maximise space. The thing is to work with the unused space, and where is minimum.

yeah I remeber the 2x thing.

Ok thanks than!

Another quiestion. I didn't understar what are we supposed to do in step 5. And my teacher didn't eiither, any clues?

Yeah. I got the same...

thanks!

Ok thanks than!

Another quiestion. I didn't understar what are we supposed to do in step 5. And my teacher didn't eiither, any clues?

You are supposed to find out how many floors are there available for each height. Then find where the maximum total area of floor is found.

I just wanted to give it a go. Because I saw a lot replies and posts here.

The equation for the parabola is -1/36(x^2+72x)

I did it as in a graph where its 0 ≤ x ≤72

I wonder if someone did the same as I did

I did it with domain from -36 ≤ x ≤ 36. That way the max height would be the independent factor of the equation (c in ax2+bx+c)

That way my equation was y = (-h/362)x2+h

anyone got the same?

times two

from the maximum cuboid thing you decide the height of each floor and determine how many floors you could have. then calculate the office floor area.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i can help if ur willing to help me figure out my patterns of lines portfolio

..... :P

inbox me if your willing, and i'll help you out on the cuboid thing....

Hey; before doing anything; i need to find an equation which needs to have the value and limits they are asking me. how can i find the equation?

How did you find the volume? If you're using calculus, you could optimize the area of a rectangle under the curve of the roof. That gives you two dimensions and the third dimension is 150--the length of the building--since length should stay the same...

Hey,

few days ago i was given the portfolio on modelling a building as an architect... i have found the the volume of building using integration , but how am i supposed to go about finding dimensions of the maximum cuboid..

Any help will be appreciated , thanks!

I got x=(sqrt(432)), so then does the width dimension equal 2(sqrt(432))?

Yeah. I got the same...

thanks!

Ok thanks than!

• 4 weeks later...

times two

from the maximum cuboid thing you decide the height of each floor and determine how many floors you could have. then calculate the office floor area.

To anyone else that's done this portfolio,

I'm currently working on it and to be honest, the normal 7 bullet part seems to be easy. Yet after finishing this part, is there anything extra I can do to get a 20/20? For example do I talk about architecture in general, or do I try out other models (like a semi-circle)?

Desy Glau, I quoted you because in one of your previous posts you told one of the members here to do the same thing so the post comes to your attention. I hope you don't mind but your previous posts have been really helpful so I quoted you. :D

Edited by theinvisibleman

To anyone else that's done this portfolio,

I'm currently working on it and to be honest, the normal 7 bullet part seems to be easy. Yet after finishing this part, is there anything extra I can do to get a 20/20? For example do I talk about architecture in general, or do I try out other models (like a semi-circle)?

Desy Glau, I quoted you because in one of your previous posts you told one of the members here to do the same thing so the post comes to your attention. I hope you don't mind but your previous posts have been really helpful so I quoted you. :D

hey yes thanks for quoting me :) I haven't checked the forum for days, if you didn't quote me I might take another week!

surprisingly, I got a message a few days ago asking the same thing. so I'll give the same advice as what I wrote in the message.

to make your paper stand out, well, basically just make it perfect. all the writing, explanation, terminologies, clear working and effective use of graphs/diagrams.. everything... you don't need to go extra mile to get a 20. just write a good paper!

no you don't need to include any background on architecture unless it's relevant to the maths side of the paper and it affects your calculations or anything. if not, no do NOT put it there because it's a maths IA, they only want to see things related to maths.

hmmm what else... if I think of anything else I'll let you know :) good luck!! I hope you'll get full mark in this IA :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've just thought of one thing. if you can think of an innovative, unique model for the second last point, you may get full marks for Criterion F easily!

i really want the help from you so i quote you

if i really want to get the full mark , is anything extra i can write.

and what is the unique model for the second last point??