How depressing are your A1 texts?

My books are

-Outsider by Alber Camus

-Like water for chocolate Laura esouivel

- Things fall apart by chinua achebe

- Woman at point zero by Nawal el Saadawi

- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

-Othello

Outsider and like water for chocolat are seriously the most boring books I have ever read. Like water for chocolate is just a silly book. The rest were preety interesting. Still studying Othello.

Pt I

The Outsider by Camus (god...as soon as we started exploring the imagery and the symbolisms, i swear a little bit of me died inside)

The Metamorphosis by Kafka (even worse than Outsider, although the sexual connotations were pretty interesting

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (i actually never got to finish it...it was one day...and the book is how long?)

Pt II

MacBeth by Shakespeare

King Lear by Shakespeare

Elliot/Yeats poems

Handmaid's Tale by Atwood

Pt III

Master Harold by Fugard

Waiting for Godot by Beckett (umm...it's about two people circling a tree waiting for Godot...)

Glass Managerie by Williams (haven't read it yet)

House of Bernarda Alba (that book was interesting, but it drained the life source outta me)

Pt IV

The Wars by Findley

Wuthering Heights by Bronte

The Dubliners by Joyce (that book was HARD...)

Cassandra by Wolf

• 2 weeks later...

our school picked relatively depressing books too! im doing SL A1

and HMSChocolate i hav almost the same Part I books as yours!!

Part I: (WL coursework)

Sophocles: Oedipus Rex - freaky text.

Camus: The Outsider - i didn't like it, lol.

Suskind: Perfume - it's scary, but one of the most fascinating books ive ever read :P . loved it

Part II: (IOC)

Morrison: The Bluest Eye - racism, quite a good book though

Shakespeare: Othello - kill me man, im like PRAYING desperately I get a bluest eye extract, NOT OTHELLOOO PLEASEEEEE T^T

Part III:

we're doing poems

haven't started yet

Carol Ann Duffy

Pablo Neruda

Emily ****inson

Part IV: (IOP)

Carter - The bloody chamber and other short stories

Williams - A streecar named Desire

Dai Sijie - Balzac and the little chinese seamstree

Edited by rubii

Well, this is what I'm doing. I'm only doing SL, by the way.

Part 1

House of the Spirits - Isabel Allende

Like Water for Chocolate - Laura Esquivel

Paradise of the Blind - Duong Thu Huong

Part 2

Much Ado About Nothing - Shakespeare

Short Stories - Edgar Allen Poe

Poems - Dawe

Part 3

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

Wide Sargasso Sea - Jean Rhys

A Tale of Two Cities - Charles ****ens

Part 4

Stolen Children: Their Stories - Carmel Bird

Oodgeroo - Kath Walker

Sardines and Oranges - Tayeh Salib

Most of it's okay, but our Part 4 theme is on the stolen generation of the Aborigines, which is a little depressing. A Tale of Two Cities is apparently pretty boring as well.. hm.

I read Death of a Salesman earlier this year for Pre-IB and.. most of our grade didn't like it. O.o Personal opinions I guess.

Well, our A1 texts seem to have a recurring sexual theme in there somewhere.

Firstly we started with A Streetcar Named Desire, then we went on to Wide Sargasso Sea, after that Heat & Dust, then Therese Raquin. Basically all of them had some er.. interesting sexual themse, Therese Raquin was depressing, heat and dust was the worst book I had ever read in my whole life, serious.

Then the texts got a little less sexual and a little happier (not so much though).

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really think the books we have are depressing. Although it's obvious they all "have to" deal with some social/moral issue, I am very strong that it depends on the teacher whether the class is going to be depressing or not. My English A1 syllabus is this :

Part 1

a. Flaubert, Madame Bovary

b. Zola, Therese Raquin

c. Ibsen, A Doll’s House

Part 2

a. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew

b. ****inson, Poems (17 poems)

c. Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

d. Woolf, A Room of One’s Own

Part 3

a. Sam Shepard, True West

b. David Mamet, Glengarry Glen Ross

c. Arthur Miller, Death of a Salesman

d. Ibsen, Henrik Hedda Gabler

Part 4

a. Melville, Herman Bartleby, A Story of Wall-Street; The Town-Ho Story

b. Crane, Stephen The Bride Comes to Yellow Sky, and other stories

c. London, Jack The Son of the Wolf and other stories

d. Strindberg, August Miss Julie

which isn't any exceptional choice of books but still it is my favorite class because of the teacher(he is v.educated and interesting) and the concersations we make it class.

On the other hand, my Modern Greek A1 class is horrible! Although the curriculum is supposed to be alike in all A1 classes and the texts we read are quite interesting, it has no connection to my English class, since the teacher never really promotes any further thinking;she just asserts with any answer and doesn't ask any intriguing questions to make us go deeper in the story. Even the last novel we read-which is this joyful story about life-seemed extremely boring and even annoying after 3 classes of saying the same stuff over and over again.

Anyway, what i believe is that it is mainly the teacher and the way the lesson is concucted that determines whether the class is going to be depressing or not.

Well my English teacher was great but you can't say that the themes for my books weren't depressing. Wow you did a Shakespeare COMEDY! Everyone usually do the tragedies...

Though you know I've noticed all the Vietnamese books on the WL list are either banned/was banned. Probably why the only people who ever do these books for WL are people from schools outside of Vietnam...too sensitive to study here, even in international schools. <_< I think Paradise of the Blind is still banned.

All of ours end in death/suicide/crappy lives for all involved.

First sess we did Oedipus Rex - you know the one where the guy accidentally marries his mother and like sticks needles in his eyes or something

Then we did Things Fall Apart - which was basically about yams and suicide

Then Poems by Judith Wright - Which were so boring that it made my life crap

Then House of the Spirits - Which was allright, but not particularly pleasant

Chronicle of a Death Foretold - Again Death

Hamlet - Self Explanatory really

The GOd of All Small THings - Which is really just messed up, lots of death

WHY THE HELL DO THEY CHOOSE THESE BOOKS FOR US?!?!?!

It's strange, I had never thought about by A1 books as being depressing but I guess there's still time for me to change my mind.

I'm Romanian SL self-taught, and when it came to choosing my books, the teacher realized there's no recommended list of Romanian literature. So I pretty much got to choose my favourite books for the Romanian part. So there we go:

Part 1: 1. Hundred years of solitude, Marquez :S

2. Death of a salesman, Miller

3. The wild duck, Ibsen (I'm not including this one in the comparison because I really hated it)

Part 2: 2 Romanian books you wouldn't know (a play and a novel)

Part 3: Another two Romanian ones (novels)

Metamorphosis, Kafka

Part 2: ....

Things fall apart, Chinua Achebe

Now I notice that all the world literature books have something sad about them, but I still love them (except for the wild duck)

Is anyone else doing their mother tongue self-taught ?