How depressing are your A1 texts?

So far, most of the texts we've studied contain themes such as: the oppression of woman, death, entrapment, media, religion, societal influence.....

The first few texts took a while to get used to, lots of sick, twisted and vulgar actions... The first IB text I had to read after summer was BRUTAL! It had this magical ability to send me to sleep on the instance of reading it, where ever! That was great, I just take it to the spa/on the school bus/to the lesson and i'll doze off >< as did the rest of the class!

Texts so far:

The handmaid's tale :)

The lost honor of katharina blum

The sailor who fell from grace with the sea

Oedipus Rex

The house of bernarda alba

(2 other texts i forgot ><)

-Poetry of John Donne, Gwen Harwood and someone else..

they suck the life out of me : ( IOP in 2 hours, haven't really started preparation!

• 2 months later...
So far, most of the texts we've studied contain themes such as: the oppression of woman, death, entrapment, media, religion, societal influence.....

The first few texts took a while to get used to, lots of sick, twisted and vulgar actions... The first IB text I had to read after summer was BRUTAL! It had this magical ability to send me to sleep on the instance of reading it, where ever! That was great, I just take it to the spa/on the school bus/to the lesson and i'll doze off >< as did the rest of the class!

Ha same here... our texts so far are

The Wild Palms- just... gives me a kind of no feeling

The President- an extremely oppressive government in what is assumed to be guatemala. depressing.

Death of the Maiden- girl has been raped raped raped tortured and is taking revenge on the man

Antigone- like the first post said, its harder to get more depressing than oedipus unless you read antigone

The Tragedy of Othello- its a tragedy, so...

i think we read something else but i cant remember it for the life of me...

anyone else read the president? what did they think of it?

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard

In the Skin of a Lion by Michael Ondaatje

The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

Odyssey by Homer

Hamlet by Shakespeare

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsy

Fun fun fun.

As for our schol, we have mostly got boring old-school literature. No emotions, no hooks - just a typical drill of the words. Maybe this is only my humble opinion, but books like Sophocles "Antigone" or F. Kafka "Metamorphosis" give nothing more than a depressed mind with a lot of "deep thoughts" left to consider.

Anyway, don't think that I like only chep childish books, but that style, offered by our IB's A1 is just amazingly plain and depressing.

p.s. Hamani, your A1 list's pattern sounds interesting. ;]

• 2 weeks later...

i thought my school was the only dumb school doing one day in the life of ivan denisovich. that has got to be the dryest book i've ever ATTEMPTED reading. and to think, i wrote me WL1 with it.

in no particular order:

ivan denisovich

doll's house

like water for chocolate

measure for measure

mr. hyde and dr. jekyll

lord of the flies

medea

macbeth

measure for measure

pygmalia (how do you spell that?)

top girls

gothic poetry

wilfred owen

dubliners

i thought my school was the only dumb school doing one day in the life of ivan denisovich. that has got to be the dryest book i've ever ATTEMPTED reading. and to think, i wrote me WL1 with it.
After reading 20 pages, I gave up for a while. I sparknoted the beginning a few days later, and began reading through it again and I managed. :sleep: I liked the book, it isn't that bad as long as you understand what's happening and don't drift off.

Which usually happens to me. :sleep:

So far, in our A1 book list, there seems a patern, Racism mostly... I am guessing that this was meant to be?

Funny. Our pattern seems to be "loss of innocence" or sex/death. :bawling:

In no particular order:

The Moor's Last Sigh
    Like Water For Chocolate
    Negotiating with the Dead
    Death and the Maiden
    Lysistrata
    Accidental Death of an Anarchist
    Hamlet
    King Lear
    The General Prologue to the Canterbury Tales + The Wife of Bath's Tale-Chaucer
    The Handmaid's Tale
    Poetry by Adienne Rich, Pablo Neruda, S.T. Coleridge, Dionne Brand

I saw a thread saying "How depressing are your A1 texts?" and i just started thinking about my languages in general.

They are so depressive, seriously ever novel we read is so damn pessimistic and boring (atleast so far)

some examples, The great gatsby, Crime and punishment, Like chocolat like water (i think that would be the english title, swedish title is ****ed up anyways like no connection to the book)

The picture of dorian grey, etc all those books are so DEPRESSIVE... is the IB trying to say something to us or?

Damn hate languages....

*It's Like Water for Chocolate btw.

I couldn't agree more. I read all those book plus metamorphosis, scarlet letter, chronicle of a death foretold, and other quite depressing ones. Last year we had a big discussion on that and we came up with a reason - IB wants us all to turn into hookers/criminals :bawling:

Seriously though, our teacher said they need to pick books that have a common theme, and apparently in this world, death, crime, and failure rate high among the great writers.

Well, Lysistrata and Accidental Death of an Anarchist were pretty funny. And The Great Gatsby wasn't really about loss of innocence either.

And I think we're doing Oryx and Crake instead of The Haindmaid's Tale. No King Lear, either, because IB doesn't allow more than one book by the same author in the same group.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just curious as to what book people from around the world are reading right now in HL English A1/A2. I live in New York, and in my HL English A1 class, we are currently reading "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver. Personally, I find this book to be cleverly written and a fun read because I'm african so it's funny to read the authors perspective on the continent and also because I love the way that she chose to structure this book. Now it's your turn. What book are you reading and is it a good one? 8-)

Edited by Esmeraldaa