How depressing are your A1 texts?

What? Hedda Gabler, Medea and Perfume are awesome. Hedda Gabler is my favourite play ever and Perfume is just ingenius in its basic ideas despite the sordid nature. I will agree with you on MacBeth but when I read that (2 years ago) I wasn't very good with Shakespeare's language.

Edited by Bandev

ithink it id funny, how ther are do many similar book there are between us. i cna't tell you what part they fall into, but we'v ereadVirgina woolf's a room of one's ownothellocornicle of a death fortold-gabriel garcia marqezthe twilight years-sawako ariyo****he metamorphasis- kafkaone day in the life of ivan dinisovich- i forgot his name.things fall apart-chinu achebewe read an aruther miller play, but it wasn't death of a salesmen.there were like 5 more and i can't remeber the names.we will read plath's pomes, and then hamlet, aand too much more to even remember.i should proof read before posting.

It's interesting to see the overlaps in books, but how they're read at different times...

Our books haven't been terribly depressing so far, or at least the ones we read in Part 1 were alright. They seem to be spiraling downward though ;)

Part I:

School Days (Patrick Chamoiseau)

The Woman Warrior (Maxine Hong Kingston)

Ceremony (Leslie Marmon Silko)

Haroun and the Sea of Stories (Salman Rushdie)

Part II:

The Metamorphosis (Franz Kafka)

House of the Spirits (Isabelle Allende)

Chronicle of a Death Foretold (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)

Part III:

Hamlet (William Shakespeare)

George Orwell Essays

Margret Atwood Poems

Sylvia Plath Poems

The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald)

Part IV:

Pedro Paramo (Juan Rulfo)

The Bluest Eye (Toni Morrison)

Heart of Darkness (Joseph Conrad)

As I Lay Dying (William Faulkner)

I'm liking the texts in Part III and IV better. Hated all the books we read in Part I, but the Part II books were better, albeit extremely depressing.

It's kinda odd how we don't read any Greek texts in IB1 or IB2 at my school - seems like a lot of you read stuff like Oedipus and we only did those in Pre-IB (9th and 10th grade)...

Edited by BBiswatching

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, our books have a tendency to be a bit depressing too... Strange, isn't it, that IB has so many depressing options? Maybe they're just trying to make us realize how good we have it and stop complaining about the workload :sadnod:

We seem to be focused on power and women who commit suicide, which is an interesting choice for an all-girls school. I have liked our books in general, though, they're pretty interesting. My favorite was So Long a Letter, though not too many people agreed with me, I think.

• 2 months later...

I'm taking Finnish A1 HL, so I think my list will differ to a certain extent from yours.

Tolstoi: Anna Karenina (see above)

Jaan Kross: The Czar's Madman, the main character was sentenced to prison for 10 years due to his madness. This is a historical novel, with criticism towards the USSR (Kross was an Estonian writer, who expereienced the horrors of prison camps in the USSR).

Amos Oz: Black Box, Deals with tensions resulting from a destroyed marriage and the relations of different family members.

Aleksis Kivi: Seven Brothers, a tale of seven brothers growing up in finnish countryland. Portrays them realistically as being idiotic men who have bad habits. Still the story is actually rather positive, with quite dark elements though.

Aaro Hellaakoski: poems that deal with death and loneliness for example.

3. Joni Skiftesvik: selection of short stories about twins drowning, someone coming back from military hospital unaware of the fact that war has ended etc.

7. Minna Canth Anna Liisa (which is a girls name, dunno if tis has been even translated into English): Deals with a girl planning to get marriage when his ex-loved returns and demands her to marry him or he'll reveal that she had a bastard son which she killed (this was written in the late 19th century). Eventually this of course happens and the girl's marriage breaks up and stuff.

Ilmari Kianto Punainen viiva (roughly translated Red line): Tells about the first elections in Finland, and makes fun of the poor family who think that voting will change their life. 3 of their children die during a week, and the father is killed by a bear.

Albert Camus: The Outsider (see previous posts)

Leena Lander: The hom of the dark butterflies. Themes are childhood suffering, forbidden love, ecological disaster.

Matti Yrjänä Joensuu: Harjunpää ja rakkauden nälkä (Harjunpää and the hunger of love). About crime and forbidden love.

Kirsti Simonsuuri: Paholaispoika (Devil boy), don't know about this book yet.

J. M. Coetzee: Disgrace. Story of a South African professor of English who loses his reputation, his job, his peace of mind, his good looks, his dreams of artistic success, and finally even his ability to protect his cherished daughter.

Juha Itkonen: Anna minun rakastaa enemmän (Let me love more). A story about passion, music and passion for music. A man who after his divorce with the singer of his rockband, who goes on to make a succesful career, continues living their relationship in his thoughts and dreams and lets go of reality.

We have one book more, but I don't know which one, since we are changing it to a different than the one on my list.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest newman500

so far...

Radience (play)

The Grapes of Wrath

Madame Bovary

An Evil Cradling

A Dolls House

Margaret Atwood (poems)

Macbeth

The Outsider

The Metamorphosis

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

Heart of Darkness

Twelfth Night

Street Car Named Desire

Okay so I don't really know exactly which texts are in which section... and I'm only halfway through, but whatever.

Part IV

The Visit- Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Death of a Salesman-Arthur Miller

Metamorphosis- Franz Kafka

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest- Ken Kesey

Their Eyes Were Watching God- Zora Neale Hurston

Other A1 works.

Chronicle of a Death Foretold-Gabriel Garcia Marquez

House of the Spirits- Isabel Allende

Blood Wedding-Federico García Lorca

Part 1

Crime and Punishment (Dostoevsky): interesting but way too long..takes forever to find quotes, as I'm sadly discovering at the moment as I'm attempting to do my world lit 1 outline

The Outsider (Camus): short, but not really for me as I want to punch out Meursault for being so annoying indifferent :P

Oedipus Rex (Sophocles): okay play, don't really understand the Greek Chorus haha

Part 2

King Lear (Shakespeare): I actually really enjoy this play..so many memorable quotes, I can think of at least 6 quotes off the top of my head right away

Heart of Darkness (Conrad): don't like this book, bit of a bore to me

Macbeth (Shakespeare): I did my IOC this year on this haha..I also enjoy this play, although not as much as Lear

Poetry (Eliot, Donne, Frost): I hate The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock, but I really like Mending Wall, Valediction: Forbidden Mourning. Holy Sonnet 10 doesn't really appeal to me

Part 3

A Doll House (Ibsen): I love this play! (my world lit 2 work)

Waiting for Godot (Beckett): Haven't done this yet but I read a passage of this before and it looks very confusing/pointless lol

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead (Stoppard): Haven't read it yet

Death of a Salesman (Miller): I also enjoy this play, probably my second favourite after Doll House

Part 4

Mad Shadows (Blais): I really liked this novella, very descriptive and interesting

The Educated Imagination (Frye): Hated this.

A Streetcar Named Desire (Williams): This play was alright.

1984 (Orwell): Interesting novel.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know anything about the groups of my books, I just know which ones i like and which ones i hate:

Like first:

The outsider/the stranger

Waiting for Godot: funny if two funny people read it out loud for sure

Rosencrantz and Guildenstren are dead....

Duffy and Keats : really good poets, seasons of mist and mellow fritfullness....

Radiance of ashes: if you live in bombay/mumbai or even india u must read this, or even if your intrigued by india...

I HATE:

SONS AND LOVERS!!- This is the ultimate ewwy, Oedipal nonsnese

India: a wounded civilization: as told by a freak who has never lived in the country for more than a few months....

Death of a salesman.... its so boring, i really dont care for a hypocrate whos losing his mind

Mont Blanc is the worst poem ever written. Nothing else to say about it)

Broken April is the most boring book ever written

Dont remember all the books we're supposed to do but this is what we did so far...

Part Four (for IOP):

Negotiating with the Dead (Margret Atwood)

The Moor's Last Sigh (Salman Rushdie)

The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)

Like Water for Chocolate (Laura Esquivel)

WL1:

Death and the Maiden

Lysistrata

The Accidental Death of an Anarchist (Dario Fo)

• 4 weeks later...

omg..some of you guys get to do Perfume?! I wish I could do that book. i found it really interesting. damnn wish i could have it >:[ our school's reading list is

PART I

The outsider : it IS pretty depressing with all the references to the meaningless of life, existentialism, nihilism stuff that IB makes you think about x_x;

The Metamorphosis: what's can be more depressing than a man who turns into a giant vermin and has his family turn against him?? made me really sad when i read it the first time...

One day in the life if Ivan Denisovich: also a pretty sad book I suppose. guy who's stuck in jail working his ass off for.. how many years? 6...?

PART II

Macbeth: guy kills king. everyone goes crazy. tons of people die. more stupid than sad i would think but meh.

King Lear: tons of people die once again, helloo.

Eliot / Yeats selected poems: the most depressing thing about their poems are how i can't analyze them properly lol. but they're mostly about life and death and the condition of the human soul..

Handmaid's Tale: i feel sorry for her. seriously.

PART III

master harold: havent read yet lol

Waiting for Godot: this is the most depressing play everrr.. it basically makes you wonder what the point of life is. that everyday in life is just a routine, and there's "nothing to be done".

Glass Menagerie: the guy craves freedom. the girl has no ability to cope on her own. the mother is a control freak. the guy abandons the family in the end and the girl + her mother are left weak and helpless.

House of bernarda: didn't read yet

PART IV

the wars: a war's happening. this one kid goes to war. everyone around him dies but he eventually makes it out half alive and literally on fire.

wuthering heights: tragic love story of all time. too bad i didn't read it lmao.

dubliners: some pretty weird stuff in this book o_O

cassandra: princess of troy who's forgotten, her story that lives on. blah.

Edited by miilki

The only ones i can think of on the spot are:

Hamlet

Macbeth

A brave new world

Childe Harold's pilgrimage

the adventures of Huckleberry Finn (i dont know if this book is banned in USA, but in canada my teacher chose this book :blink: )

oedipus rex

the glass menagerie

a hero of our time

dont know anymore :D

• 2 weeks later...

Haha,

I've got:

Part 1:

Medea

Hedda Gableer

Miss Julie

The House of Bernada Alba