How depressing are your A1 texts?

One of my friends for her IOC had to do a passage in a poem that had explicit sexual references, eg "delirous love jelly" I am sure it would have been awkward more awkward than when I had to analyse that passage and explain it to the class, and have my teacher yell out in the middle of my first sentence 'finally we are talking about sex' can you imagine how that would be for her son who is in my class.

ROFL. I remember having this really weird conversation about sex in English when we were reading Miss Julie. Something about her (Julie) being on top. Don't ask what took us to that convo, I have no idea. We go off tangent a lot in my Eng class. What was weirder was the class was 4 girls, 1 guy and a male teacher. :P

my teacher yell out in the middle of my first sentence 'finally we are talking about sex' can you imagine how that would be for her son who is in my class.

Is it just me or do all English classes somehow end up discussing sex and making innuendos. I love my English class ^^ haha

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just me or do all English classes somehow end up discussing sex and making innuendos. I love my English class ^^ haha

Well, try to find a classic piece of literature without sex references :) Our teacher actually said that she was ashamed of the books she and another teacher had chosen: "This is embarrassing, two old women like us have such dirty mind as to choose such books" Our books contained at least 3 examples of older women seducing younger boys :gluck:

At our school the depressing nature of the texts we read is a joke!

Our teachers haven't really given us a list but this is what we have had so far

Oedipus Rex-Sophocles

Kite Runner-Khaled Hosseini

Frost Poetry (Usually very sad)

Grapes of Wrath-Steinbeck

Merchant of Venice and Hamlet-Shakespeare

Whitman-theonly happy stuff!

Dalloway-Virginia Woolf (sad due to our teachers interpretation)

I am somewhat confused with this -part one, part two stuff- would someone please explain it to me

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is it just me, or are my books easier compared to everyone's? :)

I:

The House of Spirits, Allende

Son of Isan, Boontawee (This is a Thai book so I don't think any of you know it)

Like Water for Chocolate, Esquivel

II:

Antigone, Sophocles

The Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald

Of Mice and Men, Steinbeck

Their Eyes Were Watching God, Hurston

III:

Macbeth, Shakespeare

In Patagonia, Chatwin

A Tiger for Malgudi, Narayan

War Poetry, (T.S. Eliot, Owen, Sassoon)

IV:

The Importance of Being Earnest, Wilde

The Crucible, Miller

Our Town, Wilder

• 4 weeks later...

Oh all the depressing texts we did, I think the only ones I actually enojoyed was The House of The Spirits by Isabel Allende and Ariel by Slyvia Plath (poetry).

And even those were quite depressing.

Othello, Antigone, Oedipus, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Touched With Fire (poetry), Death of a Sales Man...

I don't know exactly what kind of morals IB is trying to teach us via English A1...

Well in Australia we HAVE to read Modest Proposal by Swift and Metamorphosis by Kafka....These are both very depressing novellas.

Now I realize the Metamorphosis IS depressing.

But A Modest Proposal by Swift is an awesome piece of lieterature. Incisive, poignant, and sadisitically humorous.

I am not sure if I would label it depressing.

• 2 months later...

I can't think of any non-depressing texts.

Hour of the Star - nihilistic and infuriating

Chronicle of a Death Foretold - title says it all

The Lost Honor of Katarina Blum - SPOILER: she murders someone

The Assault - WWII aftermaths, dragged over half a decade

Othello - oh god

My poems are all about death (Frost) or rape (Yeats). Even my plays are depressing; one Canadian play we did started a little funny but then turns soul-crushing, and I don't find Taming of the Shrew funny at all. I understand most Shakespeare isn't found humourous by contemporary youth, but anyone who finds Kat's speech at the end funny is not a person I want to talk to. Plus I loved Much Ado when I performed it.

I suppose the text that comes closest to being not depressing is A Doll's House. I like how my least depressing text still involves a death, deception, blackmail, sexism, spousal abuse, and the abandonment of one's children.

Let's see...

Of Mice and Men - Lenny is shot in the head by his own friend who took care of him all his life after he unintentionally kills someone...

Huck Finn - Wasn't depressing actually :)

Dom Casmurro - Since we're all that age, it was depressing to see how some of our thoughts are just that stupid...

Chronicle of a Death Foretold - Self explanatory? Reading a book about the history of one man's death?

Pedro Parramo - Never figured it out but I think the general consensus of the class was they are all dead and in purgatory...

Much Ado About Nothing - Shakespeare...comedy though, not too bad.

Hamlet - It's a Shakespeare tragedy, that's enough to explain it in my opinion.

Currently reading Their Eyes Were Watching God now :P

• 5 months later...

So far we've done:

The Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald.

A Room With a View, Forster.

The Cherry Orchard, Chekhov.

(For our orals. No problems there except the brain-crushing boredom of A Room With a View.)

But then the world of fun of our world lit...

The Outsider, Camus.

Antigone, Anouilh.

Blood Wedding, Lorca.

And after 3 months of existentialism/death/more death, my english classes are nap time intermingled with trying to remember what it was like to have the will to live. :P

• 10 months later...

Is it just me, or are my books easier compared to everyone's? smile.gif

I:

The House of Spirits, Allende

Son of Isan, Boontawee (This is a Thai book so I don't think any of you know it)

Like Water for Chocolate, Esquivel

II:

Antigone, Sophocles

The Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald

Of Mice and Men, Steinbeck

Their Eyes Were Watching God, Hurston

III:

Macbeth, Shakespeare

In Patagonia, Chatwin

A Tiger for Malgudi, Narayan

War Poetry, (T.S. Eliot, Owen, Sassoon)

IV: