PHYSICS HL MAY 2010 DISCUSSION

SwedishPersian

So how did u go for people? Which Section B did you pick and what ever your problems? I personally picked B1 and B3.

Had some problems with a section B qeustion about proving intensity of sunlight which is reflected by earth is 100. Are we required to know the solar constant?

wow. B1 and B3?? B2 with SHM and Thermodynamics was really a gift!

wow. B1 and B3?? B2 with SHM and Thermodynamics was really a gift!

I did B2 and B3.

But overall, I don't think I did that great on either papers. I tried my best, but I don't feel too good about the physics exam.

Edited by Peachez

paper 1 has really confusing questions... although I don't think I will get it wrong more than 10 questions... I would be surprised if I did.

paper 2 was... easier than I thought it would be. The A question I got some parts wrong for sure. (binding E, transformer) but I am fine.

and come on people! you are NOT SUPPOSED TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT IT!

Edited by tdubthebassist

Paper 1 and paper 2 were pretty good. I always have a pretty good feeling about them and usually get a 7 so lets hope this was the case again. I picked B1 and B2 and answered everything. I was kinda wavering to do the question about momentum and force, but the second part of that was digital tech I believe so that question was definitely out. Paper 3 was not as great. Forgot how to do one of the questions on relativity. Also misread a question that said DONT use this example. Of course I used that example. Explanations on relativity are quite tough so I don't expect too much of them. Still hoping for a seven though since I felt pretty good about astrophysics.

Paper 1 and paper 2 were pretty good. I always have a pretty good feeling about them and usually get a 7 so lets hope this was the case again. I picked B1 and B2 and answered everything. I was kinda wavering to do the question about momentum and force, but the second part of that was digital tech I believe so that question was definitely out. Paper 3 was not as great. Forgot how to do one of the questions on relativity. Also misread a question that said DONT use this example. Of course I used that example. Explanations on relativity are quite tough so I don't expect too much of them. Still hoping for a seven though since I felt pretty good about astrophysics.

haha you are JUST like me. it said 'apart from that mirror experiment' and I wrote that mirror experiment. :P

I think I can scape off 6 or 7 in paper 3. But I thought paper 1 and 2 were great like you. B4, as a mathematician, was a gift.

:D You guys are making me depressed. None of the two papers went well for me. Here is my review:

Paper 1

Question 1 and 2: Really? You trying to insult my intelligence?

Question 3 - 40: WTFPWNED!! :P

Overall comment: Screwed. 75% of my paper was guessed and I doubt the ones I was confident about were right. <3

Paper 2

5 min reading time: Ahhh this paper seems so ez!

Upon approaching problems and ten mins into the exam: ....Ehm I just flipped through the whole paper, wth happened to my paper!

Overall Comment: Screwed x 2. The only question I am sure sure about is the first question ... and thats about it. Everything else was partially answered. Did B1 and B2 (After scratching out B4 coz I didn't notice the CCD question).

Sigh, by the looks of it the grade boundaries aren't dropping and I am in mega crap. Felt devastated after coming home. My only hopes are my paper 3 and lab marks :P

Paper 1 was easier than I thought it would be... I finished it in 45 minutes and I expect something near 35 correct answers.

I did B1 and B4 in Paper 2. And I didn't fill 2 questions (3 points) in Section A. Although probably I made a lot of mistakes.

The data analysis part of the section A in paper 2 was quite difficult in my opinion.

Overall, didn't go very well.

I agree, it was a little tricky. What theory did everyone put (TZ2) for when you had to say whether the data fit theory 1 or 2?

wow. I think many people are usually divided into 2 extremes right here

Megacrap VS uber great...

Yeah...it is quite split.

I quite liked paper 1, and after discussion (even though that's a bad thing to do after an exam), I seem to have gotten quite a few of the same answers as the genii in my class. That's a good sign. But the last 7 or 8 questions I could not get. Total guesses.

Then paper 2, I did B2 and B4. I thought these two were godsends. B2 was just beautiful and B4 was the exact same question as a May08 question!! Literally same questions for mechanics, just different situation. But some part A questions were pretty darn tricky for me...

Physics is said to be one of the hardest subjects, so I'm not surprised at the mixed reaction here. I was definitely thinking that I had to work hard overnight for paper 3 to secure a 6 (maybe 7, please examiner? :D ). Thankfully, Physics does have some of the lowest boundaries seen in the IB!!

Don't forget guys - can't talk about paper 3 until tomorrow :P

Edited by hanniexx

I just remembered something. I noticed a kind of contradiction in a question in P1. (I'm TZ2 btw)

umm I don't quite remember the question, but the answer choices talk about the greatest/least minimum/maximum wavelength/frequency. The answer is like a combination of these words. However one of the answers mentions "greatest minimum wavelength". What in the world is that supposed to mean?

Did anyone else notice this or am I alone?

I just took it to be the greatest maximum wavelength and I answered that choice by elimination, since I thought all the others were wrong.

Any thoughts on this? or am I starting to imagine things? :D Or am I just an English grammar failure? :P