PHYSICS HL MAY 2010 DISCUSSION

SwedishPersian

Hello,

for P2 TZ2, who remembers the polarizer question and the graph that they asked you to sketch?

I still remember that question. =D

So what was the graph supposed to be like? I don't remember the question, I just remember what I sketched for the graph which I think is wrong... :ban:

I think the graph I did was wrong too... I did an absolute cosine curve. Something like this.

I did the same thing, and yes, it was wrong... :ban:

What's the right graph like? If it's a cos^2 graph, then the overall shape of the graph isn't really much different from the absolute cosine curve...

I think the graph I did was wrong too... I did an absolute cosine curve. Something like this.

Ah...I did that, but my lines were straight. Oops. I might get like 1 mark. If I recall, it was 2.

It's probably 1 mark for the curve, and 1 mark for starting near the top, at 1, then half way coming to 0 on the x-axis. Probs...hopefully.

Hello,

for P2 TZ2, who remembers the polarizer question and the graph that they asked you to sketch?

So what was the graph supposed to be like? I don't remember the question, I just remember what I sketched for the graph which I think is wrong... :)

What's the right graph like? If it's a cos^2 graph, then the overall shape of the graph isn't really much different from the absolute cosine curve...

There aren't any sharp edges in the cos^2 graph and the curve is very slightly different (cos^2 curve is slightly lower than cos curve but I doubt the examiners will take note of this since it's just a sketch). I guess you can hope that the examiner doesn't notice your mistake :ban:

Hello,

So what was the graph supposed to be like? I don't remember the question, I just remember what I sketched for the graph which I think is wrong... :)

I did the same thing, and yes, it was wrong... :)

There aren't any sharp edges in the cos^2 graph and the curve is very slightly different (cos^2 curve is slightly lower than cos curve but I doubt the examiners will take note of this since it's just a sketch). I guess you can hope that the examiner doesn't notice your mistake :ban:

Yeah, I just hope the examiner still gives me at least 1 mark. :ban:

OH NO. for the 'give a method other than the michelson experiment' questoin. I TALKED ABOUT THE MICHELSON EXPERIMENT !!!!. I got the name mixed up with another experiment's. All marks gone there.....?

same here. but it is only 2 points. so you are good.

My answers were even more stupid - I explained about the Muon experiment, which has nothing to do with the question, if I remember correctly. Thank god it's only 2 points. :D

Hello,

So what was the graph supposed to be like? I don't remember the question, I just remember what I sketched for the graph which I think is wrong... :P

I did the same thing, and yes, it was wrong... XD

They DO have the formula for intensity of the polarizers and stuff in the formula book... its cosine^2 graph (or i'm just trying to reassure myself lol)