PHYSICS HL MAY 2010 DISCUSSION

SwedishPersian

Haha that's awesome. Enjoy it! That sounds pretty darn useful.

I'm doing [hopefully] astrophysics woop!

I had my astrophysics options today and was slightly too excited for it. Off to gaze at the stars, very helpful for our day-to-day life ;P unless an alien attacks or a comet is headed straight for us!

Haha Astrophysics is very amazing. I took that option too. Taking it was a very nice experience. I was always interested in stars and outer space, so learning more about them was very interesting.

What matters in the end is studying something that you enjoy. I'm sure plenty of options are available in every field.

Hey guys

taking about the SCHRÖDINGER model, the question was asking specifically about the hydrogen atom that was examined by SCHRÖDINGER,

In the physics book (IBID press) it says: "essentially, he proposed that the electron in the hydrogen atom is described by the wave function"

the question was: "In SCHRÖDINGER's model of the hydrogen atom, he assumed that electrons:"

so it is clear that the answer is D

Edited by bobo

Hey guys

taking about the SCHRÖDINGER model, the question was asking specifically about the hydrogen atom that was examined by SCHRÖDINGER,

In the physics book (IBID press) it says: "essentially, he proposed that the electron in the hydrogen atom is described by the wave function"

the question was: "In SCHRÖDINGER's model of the hydrogen atom, he assumed that electrons:"

so it is clear that the answer is D

please please please read the question again...

are we finding what he was 'proposing' or 'assuming' in his model? Before we proposed his theory, what must be assumed?

Edited by tdubthebassist

Moving on to another question, there was a question in P1 also about the comparison between using methane gas and using oil or coal in the production of electricity. What did you answer in that one?

The choices:

I. It's more efficient

II. It releases more energy per unit mass

III. It releases less CO2 per unit energy

I answered I & II. I'm not sure which answer choice it was (in terms of A,B,C,D). What did you guys answer?

"and produces less carbon dioxide per unit energy released" Yup, seems like you were right. I answered I, II, & III but I erased it and answered something else since I wasn't quite sure.

That one confused me too. I think I did put D in the end, but I was kind of suspicious because it only had III in the last one.

I get way into trying to see if there's some pattern in MCQs, it's really bad (only the qs I can't answer though).

Also what I hate about MCQs is coming out after the exam and being like "wow there were a lot of D answers" then someone else is like "wow there were a lot of B answers." Post-morteming an exam is such a bad idea :D

When I tried to erase, the Xs didn't come out properly. I kind of made the yellow paper turn white in some areas because I was trying to get rid of them so badly. Do you think if there's a faint X, the computer will pick it up and think I put two answers down?

When I tried to erase, the Xs didn't come out properly. I kind of made the yellow paper turn white in some areas because I was trying to get rid of them so badly. Do you think if there's a faint X, the computer will pick it up and think I put two answers down?

LOL, I erased the yellow on the paper both yesterday and today :D. I don't think it would be a problem, as long as the X that you erased is lighter than the new X that you drew.

LOL, I erased the yellow on the paper both yesterday and today :D. I don't think it would be a problem, as long as the X that you erased is lighter than the new X that you drew.

Hehe LOL. Ah kay, good. I guess we won't really know now, unless our marks are ridiculously bad. Which I'm sure [slash hope] they won't be ^^ at least our papers look more art deco now :(

I think I did well on paper 1, should atleast get over 25 points, hopefully around 35.. Paper 2 on the other hand was terrible, so many questions I was unsure about and couldn't really answer at all.. Paper 3 (we can discuss that one right? 24 hours has passed) was okay.. did really well on the astrophysic, but struggled a bit with biomedical physics.. overall I'm hoping for a 6, but becuase of paper 2 I fear lower :D

I think I did well on paper 1, should atleast get over 25 points, hopefully around 35.. Paper 2 on the other hand was terrible, so many questions I was unsure about and couldn't really answer at all.. Paper 3 (we can discuss that one right? 24 hours has passed) was okay.. did really well on the astrophysic, but struggled a bit with biomedical physics.. overall I'm hoping for a 6, but becuase of paper 2 I fear lower :D

Yeah I'll start a Physics paper 3 topic =3

How was your IA, because that could help you secure a 6 maybe :(