Type II -- Population Trends in China

Karl H T

use your GDC. for the programs I've tried, I think TI calculators are the only ones that can generate logistic functions. so use it.

when you plot the data in your GDC, when you want to choose the regression type, there will be a list of types of functions. you can refer to that list. (or at least in TI-Nspire that is the case. not sure if it's done differently in other TI devices.)

you are welcome.

would it be ok if I could ask you to read this whole thread first? :) or at least the first half... there have been a lot of discussions which you might want to consider in choosing the type of function that you want to model. if you then still have difficulty in choosing the function, ask again, telling me the functions that you have considered.

as for the previous question,

remember this is a math IA not a geography IA... the examiners don't care what actually affects the population (why it increases) and how, so you don't need to go that far.

in my understanding, for the variable it's like

let x be time in year, let y be the China population. something like that.

for the parameters, I'm not sure...

You know the Variables and Parameters yeah? - So I would just basically say my Variables are my X-axis being this and my Y-axis being that?

As for the Parameters, what do you think? - 'Cause I think that it could be that example from before something like the "numbers on the X-axis can not be negative"... Do the limits really have to be in terms of Maths? And not factors outside the realms of Maths?

hmmm not exactly. as you see in the task, you can opt for other letters, like t be the time and P be the population. but if you do this, make sure that your graphs are P against t and not y against x (meaning you must know how to edit the axis labels in your graphing software/GDC)

don't ask me about parameters because I might be having a wrong perception, so I better don't say anything about it than misleading people here!

you'll actually need to talk about limitations later after getting your functions. oh i forgot to mention it in my outline. hold on.

I don't get what you mean by non mathematical factors.

uhm, I was referring to the first part of the Coursework. The bits before the K,L,M formula.

Oh lol. Ok. Haha. Is there anyone here who I can ask about that matter?

No no, I meant Parameters. 'Cause I've read that Parameters and Limitations from a previous post are the same thing(?)

Can you possibly simplify this for me? I'm sorry for being a troublesome person >.< It's just that I don't want to waste another day doing nothing on this :(

a. A constant in an equation that varies in other equations of the same general form, especially such a constant in the equation of a curve or surface that can be varied to represent a family of curves or surfaces.

b. One of a set of independent variables that express the coordinates of a point.

Are the Variables being mentioned to here are like the for example, Independent and Dependent Variables? And Controlled Variables in a Science Experiment?

Edited by Corporal Cuhzee

for the first part, no you can't. anyway analytically modelling a logistic might be more difficult.

a and b are more or less what parameters are in my opinion. it's like a variable, but it's not!

hmmm that's a good question... yeah I guess so. the one on the x axis is the independent variable (which is the time), and the one on the y axis is the dependent variable (which is the population, that depends on the year).

I don't know what to say about controlled variables though. I don't think there is even a need to mention that.

So what do you suggest then? =/

What is it then? :( I hate this :( If it weren't for this, I would have been half way now :(

So the IV and DV analogies were spot on? :D

"(which is the population, that depends on the year)." What do you mean by this?

Edited by Corporal Cuhzee

why do you keep asking the same question over and over again?

if you haven't done matrices go with logarithmic/exponential. I forgot which one fits better.

yeah IV and DV analogies quite fit in this case.

the dependent variable is the population. DV depends on IV as population depends on time. that's why your P equation is in terms of t.

ahehehe, sorry. I finally understand the first bits now! YAY! All I have to do is the functions that can be used as a model... But until then, I shall do the variables.

SO Exponents and Log? I will just try to make my own formula out of the things I know from Log and Expo?

What of the Parameters? heh heh :P

Hi,

I really need help on figuring out what type of function would fit the data points on the graph; the normal functions like polynomial or exponential does not seem to fit all the points.

Also, what does it mean when it says "Construct the researcher's model using your estimate".

Thanks in advance.

I suggest 6th polynomial or arctan :P

For the researcher's model part, you need to plot the data in your GDC first, show the logistic regression and that's it :( those are the estimations of values of K, L and M by using technology. Interpret them and then just put the function there. Move on to the next part.

In terms of the function to be used, do you think I could use 6th Polynomial? Is it difficult to pick up from a SL point of view who hasn't gone through it yet?

In terms of the function to be used, do you think I could use 6th Polynomial? Is it difficult to pick up from a SL point of view who hasn't gone through it yet?

Have you ever touched the basic of matrices? If not please for your own sake don't do it unless you can get your teacher to teach it to you in a few days.

Can I ask a question about this "Comment on the trends observable from the graph"?

WHat does it basically mean by the trends observable from the graph?

Random example: (totally random, not from the data for this task, please don't ask!!)

The graph starts off from the origin, gradually increasing until it reaches the point (9, 5) where it stops increasing and plateau off.