Spanish Ab Initio

stylusdef

It's pretty easy considering that I have a real chatty teacher and I've hardly studied the subject in the past year and a half, and I'm still getting a 5. More practice and revision can get you up to a 6/7 easily. That and you get to speak one of the most widely spoken languages in the world which is a really big advantage.

I think it is really up to the person. I find languages really easy so considering this is an easy language it has been good for me. Despite having a teacher whose first language is french, teaching spanish in english, I think I will do well. It is possible to get 100% on one of the exams, depending on what you are good at. The mark boundaries are some of the highest of any subject in IB. Usually around 89%.

Edited by Bandev

• 4 weeks later...

Well our school is 99% spanish speakers, the other 1% is maybe 3 teachers who come from up north. Most of our class took Spanish HL (5) in tenth grade and now they made up this Spanish 6 for most of us. I can't begin to think how easy the regular IB class is probably because my first language is spanish. But as far as i can see, that's not the reason why it's easy for me. Maybe you didn't know this, but spanish is one of the hardest languages in the world to learn. There are over 26 different verb conjugations! Even though you don't have to learn 3000 characters, it's extremely common to see people who are learning spanish using the wrong conjugation of the verbs. I perfected my writing in spanish, but it's not what IB is looking for. For this reason the test has to be made easy, or else we, spanish speakers, would get an unfair advantage.

I know, you might be saying that why not make the other languages easy too. Well for one thing they might be, I really can't say, but you have to understand that the most comon languages are: Chinese first (mandarin), then english, and spanish following very closely behind.

So just understand that passing the test will be easier than it looks and just remember to practice writing, dont memorize anything, i.e. verb tenses. The one and only thing i like to do for Spanish is fill in the blanks for verb tenses, try it, it's really helpfull. :)

• 1 month later...
I'm handing in my choices of subjects tomorrow (I'm in the Pre-IB) and for group 6 I've chosen Spanish Ab Initio. So, to those of you who study this; What do you think about it?

I can say that it'is quite easy and even more if you know other latin languages :(

I'm doing spanish ab initio as an extra subject (7) and I really like it.

well a lot of vocab but still easy :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also taking spanish and I'm gonna have the oral test very soon :lol: I love language and honestly I almost never study Spanish and it still works. They say I'm the best hihi .. At the end it gets a bit complicated with all the grammar.

My advice is to speak spanish as much as possible because it is important for you IOCs which makes 30 % of the grade

Buena suerte :D

the secret to success in language is you must speak and hear......

If you are talking generally, then yes you are right, but in terms of IB writing and reading is where 70% of your mark is. I reckon about 5% is hearing and 25% speaking. Seriously I sucked at the orals, but I still got a 7, because I owned the reading (7 marks above a 7) and writing (6 marks above a 7). So really in IB the secret to success in a language is reading and writing.

• 4 months later...
I'm handing in my choices of subjects tomorrow (I'm in the Pre-IB) and for group 6 I've chosen Spanish Ab Initio. So, to those of you who study this; What do you think about it?

Its really good, Ive been doing it for 6 months now. Just keep track of all your work and stay organised. Later in the course it really helps if you know all the basic grammar learned at the beginning.

• 2 weeks later...

Spanish is transparently an easy subject for Vietnamese students in terms of pronunciation. We do pronounce A, I, E, O, U exactly the same way with Spanish people do. However, just like French I had done for 5 years, the grammar is a bit tricky compared to how lovely English is!

Edited by Aquarius

Spanish is transparently an easy subject for Vietnamese students in terms of pronunciation. We do pronounce A, I, E, O, U exactly the same way with Spanish people do. However, just like French I had done for 5 years, the grammar is a bit tricky compared to how lovely English is!

Filipinos are good at spanish too. My Filipino friends helped me speak spanish before my first spanish class started.

• 2 weeks later...

Spanish is a subject I forget about, panic, write 2 pages of notes every few weeks and manage about a 4. That said, I feel like I'm failing and none of it is sticking. I've studied a little Japanese and Italian in the past and some words sound similar, m***ive confusion being the result. But then, I'm not good at learning by rote and THEN understanding. Overall, if you're alright at languages it shouldn't be too difficult.