Type I -- Infinite Summation

ballon

You use Taylor Series for the second one actually, the general general statement. The first one the pattern is pretty obvious you don't need to use fancy fancy method.

You haven't? I thought it's in the SL syllabus! Ask your teacher whether you can use it or not, because they are the one who will be suspicious if you use it. For me you don't need to provide footnote whatsoever, just use it, if you have talked to your teacher about it. Btw it's on the Ms.Word equation thing so you can also say you've ever seen it there.

You use Taylor Series for the second one actually, the general general statement. The first one the pattern is pretty obvious you don't need to use fancy fancy method.

You haven't? I thought it's in the SL syllabus! Ask your teacher whether you can use it or not, because they are the one who will be suspicious if you use it. For me you don't need to provide footnote whatsoever, just use it, if you have talked to your teacher about it. Btw it's on the Ms.Word equation thing so you can also say you've ever seen it there.

Nope, the Taylor Series was never done...but we're not finished the course yet so maybe we'll do it later. Ya, I guess I'll ask my teacher.

Edited by omgpop

My teacher,apparently...Hmm...I haven't tamed my TI-89 that much yet, so, when I get to that stage I will come back to you to seek assistance on how to properly operate it if possible...

Thanks for your help.

By the way, is the sequence that is being used an Infinite Geometric Sequence? I just wanted to be sure...

Oh haha ok. Btw I thought it was the stellar numbers IA haha that's why I was like how the heck could you use excel for this?? lol I think Ms. Excel works best for this infinite summation IA.

How to Use Ms. Excel 2007 for Infinite Summation IA

• Open your Ms. Excel 2007
  • In cell B2, put a
  • In cell C2, put x
  • In cell D2, put n
  • In cell E2, put Tn
  • In cell F2, put Sn
  • Merge cells B3 to B13 (Select these cells, On the Home tab, in the Alignment group, click Merge and Center)
  • Put the desired value of a in cell B3
  • Merge cells C3 to C13
  • Put the desired value of x in cell C3
  • Put 0 to 10 in cells D3 to D13 (values of n)
  • Type in the formula =(($C$3*LN($B$3))^D3)/FACT(D3) in cell E3
  • Copy that cell and paste in cells E4 to E13
    8JKOg.jpg
  • Type in the formula =SUM($E$3:E3) in cell F3
  • Copy that cell and paste in cells F4 to F13
    Kq87I.jpg
  • Select cells E3 to F13
  • Right click, Format Cells, Number, Category: Number, Decimal Places: 6, OK
  • When you want to tabulate other values of a and x, I suggest starting a new worksheet so you can use exactly the same formulas for Tn and Sn (look at the image posted below); because starting a new table will change the formulas a little bit and it is going to be very confusing unless you have learned how to use Ms. Excel before.
    4DzIT.jpg
  • You may want to take a screenshot and put it in Ms. Word so you do not need to calculate one by one the values of Tn and Sn. Do not forget to mention that you use Ms. Excel here.

And NO, it is NOT an Infinite Geometric Sequence. It is an infinite sequence, but it's not geometric.

Everytime I type the formula in, Tn becomes 1 for all my cells... The Sn formula becomes 0... I'm technologically challenged... Please help

Although it has been a couple of months since I turned in this portfolio, I remember that the graphs had a pattern that resembled logarithmic or exponential parent functions, using that information, I was able to come up with the limit and some form of a general statement.

Okay this might sound ignorant , but you know how they first ask us to draw graphs for the relation between Sn and n ? Okay i did that , but i have no idea how to use them to get the formula .. Help please ?

You're talking about the first side of the math portfolio, correct? In that case, when you look at the graphs you should see all the graphs have the same shape. Look at what consistently happens for each graph; it suggests something about n as Sn approaches infinity. Use that to get the first formula.

Okay this might sound ignorant , but you know how they first ask us to draw graphs for the relation between Sn and n ? Okay i did that , but i have no idea how to use them to get the formula .. Help please ?

what software do you use? after you plot the line you should be able to get the formula. it's usually automatically shown by the graphing software, but there are some software in which you need to press something to display the equation of the graph, for example in Ms.Excel you need to find the trendline and then show the equation.

tell me what software you use and i'll tell you how you show the equation.

what software do you use? after you plot the line you should be able to get the formula. it's usually automatically shown by the graphing software, but there are some software in which you need to press something to display the equation of the graph, for example in Ms.Excel you need to find the trendline and then show the equation.

tell me what software you use and i'll tell you how you show the equation.

Thanks alot , but i managed to find the formula for the first bit now :)

Well i used Excel, and i did initally put a trendline , only Excel doesnt give a trendline that is specifically based on the data in the graph ; it just gives a very general trendline ( One that ur actually supposed to choose urself from the options given) , so i got my statement without the trendline , thats okay right ?

Helloo again ! :)

Okay so in the 2nd part of the task

"Continue with this analysis to find the general statement for Tn(a,x) as n approaches infinity"

I didnt really get how to go about that because prior to that question , they only ask us to calculate T9 for various positive values of x

How can u get a statement for n approaching infinity , if they only ask fr T where n=9 ?

Hopefully , you get what i mean ..

OKay so i did what you told me to do , and im basically getting exponential graphs ( im really sorry if im giving out anything that shouldnt be given out ) , but like the first time , i dont really know how to use these graphs , as these graphs are basically formed from the relation between T9 and x , and n is always 9 - How can we find the formula when n is infinity if they keep asking us to plot relations between T (where n is always 9)and x?

In the second part, for the graphs in this IA, should we plot the values for various values of x, where a=2 and a=3, on the same graph, or should we have different graph? Btw, how many pages is this IA going to come out to be approximately?

Below is a checklist that may help you all. It is according to Criteria, and how to avoid many points from being lost:

Criterion A:

Calculator or computer notations like “^” or “E09” should be avoided.

The notations like =, ≈,and ≅ should be used correctly.

Misuse of “plug in” or “sub” should be avoided.

Use of “Equation”, “expression”, line, curve in appropriate places.

Un and Sn (subscript and superscript) should be used in appropriate places.

For different functions use different notations like f(x), g(x) and h(x) etc…

Criterion B:

“Question and answer” format should not be adopted.

Work should start with an introduction (objectives of the task) and end with a proper and appropriate conclusion.

Title, Axes and functions should be labeled in every graph.

The data generated for each case must be represented in the form of the table.

Number the tables and graphs.

The work should be easy to read and there should be a flow in the task.

All the tables and graphs should be accompanied by appropriate comments and conclusions.

The work should be communicated in such a way that the examiner should not refer to the portfolio task while reading the task.

Full page graphs are avoided if possible. Include small (but clear) graphs with an explanation on the same page.

Use simple and clear sentences for explanations. Try to express ideas in a concise manner rather than elaborating on simple procedures. For example it is not necessary to include GDC or graphing software key stroke sequence wherever used.

Avoid redundancy of any data and /or of any mathematical process.

Criterion C:

Apart from the usage of technology manual working of mathematical process is also to be included where appropriate.

VALIDITY OF GENERAL STATEMENT: The general statement should be checked against not only the data already found but also some additional values.

Scope and limitations should not be a superficial attempt but should be validated by substituting varied numbers like positive, negative, rational, irrational and real numbers etc…

Criterion D:

It is important to note the difference between “a general statement (in level 2)”and “the general statement (level 3)”of the task.

The general statement has to be stated ‘unambiguously’.

Formal proof of the general statement has to be given for a 4.

Correct Scope and limitations of the general statement have to be considered (plus the formal proof of the general statement) for a 5.

Criterion E:

Using a computer and/or a GDC to generate graphs or tables may not significantly contribute to the development of the task, and therefore may not merit more than level 1.

The emphasis in this criterion is on the contribution of the technology to the mathematical development of the task rather than to the presentation or communication.

Criterion F:

Students who satisfy all the requirements correctly achieve level 1. For a student to achieve level 2, work must show precision, insight and a sophisticated level of mathematical understanding.

Level 2 should only be awarded if the work presented is beyond ordinary expectations

• Like 1

Separate graphs would look nicer. The number of pages does not matter but I suggest it to be more or less 20 pages. I didn't do this task, though so I can't tell you how many pages exactly. How many ones have you got, though? Maybe I could then tell you if it's too short or too long. :)

Separate graphs would look nicer. The number of pages does not matter but I suggest it to be more or less 20 pages. I didn't do this task, though so I can't tell you how many pages exactly. How many ones have you got, though? Maybe I could then tell you if it's too short or too long. :)

Im heading towards 15-17. I think thats pretty decent according to what you've said. Thanks :)

Excuse me,what do you mean by calculate the sum Sn of the first n term of the above sequence for 0<n<10,how to sum?by addint t0,t1,t2.....t10?

yes use your calculator to add up each term.

is it t0+t1+.....+tn?Also,how to graph the relation between sn and n when we just only know x=1?thanks~~