IB Bilingual Diploma

Guest latingring0

(although EE's can only be written in French, Spanish or English, the three official languages of IB)

I just have to contradict this: EEs CAN be written in a language other than the three "official" languages if it is written in Groups 1 or 2, that is, if it treats a language. I wrote mine in Swedish, for A1, and received an A and All Was Fine.

On topic, I was awarded a Bilingual Diploma. I took the IB in English but had Swedish as my A1 language; I also took English A2. If I had written my EE in French or English I would have fulfilled all of the various ways there are to get one (I think). I don't really know what it's worth, though; many people get it anyway.

(although EE's can only be written in French, Spanish or English, the three official languages of IB)

I just have to contradict this: EEs CAN be written in a language other than the three "official" languages if it is written in Groups 1 or 2, that is, if it treats a language. I wrote mine in Swedish, for A1, and received an A and All Was Fine.

On topic, I was awarded a Bilingual Diploma. I took the IB in English but had Swedish as my A1 language; I also took English A2. If I had written my EE in French or English I would have fulfilled all of the various ways there are to get one (I think). I don't really know what it's worth, though; many people get it anyway.

I think the bilingual diploma is overrated. I mean its a great personal achievement, cause it shows that your bilingual (or multilingual) after all. However there are quite a few students who take the IB which is conducted in french, spanish or english and can speak any 1 other language than those 3, practically giving them the opportunity to be awarded this certificate. And unless you wanna go into translating, or other professions requiring a high academic skill of multiple languages its relatively useless. Nowadays in these professions, and with the number of bilinguals around to make yourself stand out you would have to be able to speak 3 or more languages really.

Nevertheless still congratz to everyone who got it and can speak at least 2 languages VERY well.

• Like 1

I'm taking my non-language subjects in English, and my EE is written is English (the language, not the subject) as well, so I'll get the biligual diploma, right?

But what's the point of it? Is it an advantage when it comes to universities or something?

Its not that hard to get Bilingual Diploma. And as far as I am aware, the Us universities don't care unless you want linguistics as a major.

Writing an EE in another language is the easiest way to get it, and especially since G4 four are the sciences where most words are similar universally. like Hydrogen, is easily recognized in most of the languages. So writing EE in biology is pretty easy I think, it doesnt really require a whole different way of thinking. Just a mere translation. Writing in something like English would be totally different.

Good Luck. Make sure its worth it :P

Writing an EE in another language is the easiest way to get it, and especially since G4 four are the sciences where most words are similar universally. like Hydrogen, is easily recognized in most of the languages.

Actually, the Swedish names for the elements are actually very different in most cases to the English ones. But I must agree that the English ones usually are easier to remember as they're more like the symbols. :P

I guess that would be a multilingual diploma <3

Im doing Spanish A1 Hl and English A1 HL, but the rest of the students in my school do English A2, i can really see the difference, it is much more work, mostly on vocabulary and ways of expresing what you want to say, but if you like literature i think its worth it!

A bilingual Diploma is not that hard to get! Juuust go for it!

• 3 weeks later...

I guess that would be a multilingual diploma :P

Im doing Spanish A1 Hl and English A1 HL, but the rest of the students in my school do English A2, i can really see the difference, it is much more work, mostly on vocabulary and ways of expresing what you want to say, but if you like literature i think its worth it!

A bilingual Diploma is not that hard to get! Juuust go for it!

So, your school offers other A1 languages than English and the language of the country you live in?

Or is that common, so it's just strange of me to be surprised over it?

• 1 month later...

I'm going for a Bilingual Diploma (English/French). I'm an English speaker and I am writing my EE on Economics, yet in French. No one at my school was even told that the Bilingual Diploma even existed so I don't think many will be getting one :/. I only found out about it in my hours of searching IB forums haha. I really hope to do well in my EE!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

(although EE's can only be written in French, Spanish or English, the three official languages of IB).

You are wrong in some way.

I have done my E.E. for Russian A1. Some students in my school did it same way for German and we will get the bilingual diploma.

• 4 weeks later...

The fact that everybody in my year group is doing spanish A1 automatically makes my diploma bilingual.. of course, that's considering I do all my other subjects in English (plus English A1)

I think that the other students in my year who do A2 English have to do like at least one other subject in English, which isn't much to ask for..

• 3 months later...

Most of us here do bilingual diploma too. It's mostly English A1 and Chinese A2 :D For us it's pretty much the same. For me I don't really consider either one my "first language". Although I probably learnt to speak Chinese first, my English writing is a LOT better than my Chinese ;P

Oh I do it. Actually quite a few kids do it at my school though a lot do B just for an easy 7.

I do English and Chinese (Mandarin). Neither are very challenging. I do Chinese at A2 level and find it extremely easy though I probably would struggle if I did A1.

Edited by masochist