IB Bilingual Diploma

Guest latingring0

Guest latingring0

Hey fellow IB kids! I am a Senior at Andrew P. Hill High School and I am pursuing the IB Bilingual Diploma. I was wondering if there was anyone else out there insane enough to do the same :D

Guest latingring0
If it was offered in my school for French- I'd definitely do it.

You could ask your IB coordinator if it is possible for you to do it independently. You would have to either test in History or Science in the desired language or write your extended essay in the desired language. You would also need to take the HL version of the class.

Guest latingring0
Nah, it's too late for that now. I'm in my last year and my EE is already done.

haha, oh well. I gave it a try. I am writing my EE as we speak... ack... procrastination is a horrible thing.

everyone who did Arabic A1 in my school got it even though they did English B HL (only group 2 language offered for Arabic A1 at my school) because they did their sujects in English and Arabic was supposidly their first language. I didn't get one since I did English A1 and Arabic B

Pretty much almost all the IB students in my school are doing the IB Bilingual Diploma :/ But that's because most of us are not native English speakers so we have our own home-language and we do the IB in English. The most common language choices are A1 and A2 with either of them being in English and Swedish. There are A1 self-taught student as well and students who choose not to have English but instead a Language B.

Edited by Afterglow

in my school, students will get both the regular diploma and the bilibgual one since students are taking english A1 and arabic A1. as for me i didnt know what is a bilingual diploma when i chose arabic A1... i realised that i will get one after a whole semester.. and i dont think its any difference anyway... mayb it looks fancier on the diploma!

Most people in the IB are doing the bilingual diploma, as if your A1 language isn't English, and you're taught in English (French and Spanish instruction is quite rare from what I've understood) you'll get it.

well, in my skool its the opposite, english A1 people are the most. so a bilingual diploma at my skool is rare. last year out of 19 people 2 only got it and the rest were regular diplomas. i think its becuz most of the students at my skool are people who lived in the US or UK at a time in their life...

I would be happier if I got Language A1 to be my native language. Since I just moved to this English speaking country for 10 months, and my English is apparently not as well as my native language, I am thinking of droping Language A since I can't do the full-IB anymore. (I came late here)

I asked my IB- coordinator once for whether it's possible to choose my native language as A1, he said no! but as the information I got from IBO, it is possible....... self teach?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Do university really look into it?? like is there much difference between normal diploma and bilingual diploma?? Personally i will get bilingual diploma as well because I take Thai A1 and all the rest in English...but does it really make differences??

Yes and no. If you're planning on studying anything related to literature or languages then it will certainly look good in your application! I think the major advantage however is if English isn't your first language and you apply abroad as you then have an English qualification and shouldn't (although they differ here) need to take an English proficiency test.

Edited by Afterglow

I think a bilingual diploma would be cool. But English is my native language and my second language is french and Ive only been studying it for 4 years.

Ohh and good luck to Latinagring0! I hope everything goes well for you and your pursuit for a bilingual diploma.

Edited by koolgecko91

• 1 year later...

I'm the only one who got it at my school and I got to a language school in the UK.

I got it with English and German.

I also would like to know what real difference it makes.

I dont think its gonna be great, cause that would be unfair on the other students. Maybe the certificate looks a bit different or something.

Edited by Lean

You can get the bilingual diploma if you take any group 3/4 subject or language A2 different than your A1 language. You also get it if you write your EE in a different language than your language A1 (although EE's can only be written in French, Spanish or English, the three official languages of IB).

But having a bilingual diploma in which one of those languages is your own mother tongue is not big deal as many people have it, basically, anyone doing the IB in a language that is not originally her/his.

So, if you want your bilingual diploma to be worth something, make sure the languages that the diploma includes are not your own, in this way you'd be actually certifying your are trilingual :P