CAS diary/reflections/presentation

Lil

heey

we are doing a CAS journal which is basically pictures and some words and stuff like that!! more like a scrapbook!!

ne girl in our class is doing a movie about all the CAS events she has done and a third one is doing a website fr her CAS events!!

soo i guess there is no proper structure for the CAS journal!!

this is in addition to the long long papers we have to fill in for every activity!!!

Edited by deedoz

heey

we are doing a CAS journal which is basically pictures and some words and stuff like that!! more like a scrapbook!!

ne girl in our class is doing a movie about all the CAS events she has done and a third one is doing a website fr her CAS events!!

soo i guess there is no proper structure for the CAS journal!!

this is in addition to the long long papers we have to fill in for every activity!!!

that is awesome, I feel so tame!! Lol, though that is a lot of work, I mean on top of all her subjects and stuff...

that is awesome, I feel so tame!! Lol, though that is a lot of work, I mean on top of all her subjects and stuff...

yaaa the CAS Coordinator asked to see the journal once a while ago and since then i havent added anything because i have no time to breath when will i have time to be creative ---- and im not a creative peron at allll!!

Each week we're meant to record what activity we did, how many hours it went for and whether it's creativity, service and/or action. Our CAS coordinator just tells us to write things that were memorable, particularly important/interesting etc each week, so we don't have to write something for every single activity.

Now that I think of it, I haven't touched my CAS diary for a few months now... :)

Edited by youcantstopthebeat

• 4 weeks later...

in my school we are asked to fill in a diary every month or so with each activity we've done. You can do it whether in a 'day to day' sort of way (of course if you're in an activity that takes some time - take teaching for example, i wrote what happened each class), or in a 'whole activity' sort of way (for brief activities - take participation in some event for example), or in a 'some entries per activity' sort of way (for example, for my italian lessons i did that, as i wasn't going to narrate every class, and it's better because you write sort of memorable things rather than just what happens each time). the thing is that you tell what you did, then reflect on it, tell what you learned with the activity and of course the way it's related to either creativity, action or service.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My observationsHi,

I think that is about the best way to record all CAS activities. Unfortunately, many students are under the impression that CAS work is only to do stuff for getting the IB grades and not for real-life learning. Its sad but that is the way it is. I wish they imbibe some 'take home' values which will make them better world citizens. I know I am sounding idealistic and pedantic when I say this but as a CAS Coordinator, I often encounter this kind of attitude and this pains me.

CAS journal structure?

1) introduce your activity +explain it

2) Reason of choice of the activity ---> goals you wanted to achieve before starting the activvity

3) Any difficulties you faced while doing the activity

4) Anyone helped you through these diffculties?How did you overcome them ?

5) Were you successfull in achieving your goals - after completing the activity?

6) Did you wish anything to be different?

7) How do you feel you have benifited from the activity ?

That's how they taught us to do it ..

... many students are under the impression that CAS work is only to do stuff for getting the IB grades and not for real-life learning. Its sad but that is the way it is. I wish they imbibe some 'take home' values which will make them better world citizens. I know I am sounding idealistic and pedantic when I say this but as a CAS Coordinator, I often encounter this kind of attitude and this pains me.

I know it is supposed to inspire you to reflect and find some sort of utility on the activities you do and etc. In my case, it does. It's just a pain to have to write about that after every single activity and so on... You could achieve the 'objective' by just reflecting on your own, instead of having to waste precious time on this kind of things. Their way to make sure you do reflect is just forcing you to either write a whole bunch of crap or write about your thoughts on the actual thing, and if you're in a rush, trust me bs is what you end up doing.

I know it is supposed to inspire you to reflect and find some sort of utility on the activities you do and etc. In my case, it does. It's just a pain to have to write about that after every single activity and so on... You could achieve the 'objective' by just reflecting on your own, instead of having to waste precious time on this kind of things. Their way to make sure you do reflect is just forcing you to either write a whole bunch of crap or write about your thoughts on the actual thing, and if you're in a rush, trust me bs is what you end up doing.

-_-

Hi, I guess you have really been soured by the experience of writing down you CAS activities. I do understand that its a pain to put it on paper but then does it not help you to reflect meaningfully about things you have done instead of stretching the truth later on. Also, it gives one great pleasure to ruminate later on in life. Anyways, each to his own, I suppose. Good luck to you. Happy CAS hours and Cheerio. :D

our school doesn't have the journals but after the class of 2009- that means class of 2010 and on- will need to have a journal. for them they will have to include pictures and proof more than just a signature.

WHAT? PICTURES??? I peer tutor for my service hours and i have to take the pics of the people i peer tutor? *shoots self*. Please tell me that it's only for your school.

WHAT? PICTURES??? I peer tutor for my service hours and i have to take the pics of the people i peer tutor? *shoots self*. Please tell me that it's only for your school.

That is because the school has to prove to the IBO, if necessary that you have completed the required hours. I say 'if necessary' because the IBO might ask your school to provide proof.

:dunno:

Hi,

The "Doubt Factor" has certainly gone up with the IB examiners. I guess people have faked CAS activities in the past and so IB has decided to tighten the screws. It does seem good however, if most activities are recorded in pictures. I guess all is not possible like 'peer tutoring'. That will make it look like a pretense kind of service. Think of it as something which you can ruminate over in your old age (If you want to).

Ciao

• 2 months later...

What our supervisors told us was to simply continually reflect on the progress of your activities.

The CAS diary doesn't have to be in journal or book form. I'm doing as a blog but I know many people who are doing powerpoint presentations, scrapbooks, videos or other creative ways of reflecting. Whatever works best for you. It's a reflective piece of work and you may as well show some creativity.

What our supervisors told us was to simply continually reflect on the progress of your activities.

The CAS diary doesn't have to be in journal or book form. I'm doing as a blog but I know many people who are doing powerpoint presentations, scrapbooks, videos or other creative ways of reflecting. Whatever works best for you. It's a reflective piece of work and you may as well show some creativity.

Hi,

I guess you are doing all right. As long as some form of record is kept, it is acceptable. Blogs work fine as do PPT's, videos or even scrapbooks. Its only for some activities that photos are required. Come'on, in this digital age that's something so simple. Peer tutoring seems something very funny to record. In cases like this, a senior member, be it a teacher, or an elder can act as the supervisor.

Ciao :help:

• 4 weeks later...

In my school, I'm glad that the teacher has prepared the "Activity Evaluation Log Book" for us. Every time we did CAS, we just need to fill up the form which consist of:

Name:

Class:

CAS actvity:

Date of activity:

Time:

Brief Description:

Self Reflection/Contribution to Personal Development:

Candidate's signature:

Advisor's signature:

Then, we keep all the record in a file to be checked and updated later. It is not that hard.

Hey! does anyone have to do a CAS presentation at the end of the two years of IB? in my school we have to do a group presentation, and do something creative in which we will expose with two other people our lifes and what we have done for CAS and how it has changed our lifes or some bs like that, does anyone have any ideas of what i can do that is creative for the presentation? :P