CAS diary/reflections/presentation

Lil

I write mine in a diary format, and yes I describe every single activity. It's a pain. Unfortunately, not all schools are required to have a CAS diary, so we're one of the unlucky few.

well, mine is one of the unlucky too :):D:) And yes,I have to describe every single activity and I write in a normal notebook :):D

In my school they ask us to write our diaries once a month. We have to put the names, dates, a description of the activity, what we were expecting, what really happened and a very, very, very deep reflection about what we learned about life thanks to the activity (even if you did not learn a singel thing). The we have to put a quote related to the activity or to your reflection. Then we add on a different page an excel document with the projets we have been into and the quantity of ours each has give us. Oh! and I almost forgot we have to add a lot of pictures!

what do you really think about CAS??

Obviously it is something we all have to do if we want to graduate, but in my opinion it kills passions... Ok, you can do what you like (e.g. if you practise tennis, you can do it as your cas action) but in the other side when I do sth with that terrible "have-to-do-cas" feeling I lose the whole pleasure and I finish hating the activity.

:S

Edited by Harmonicgirl

• 2 weeks later...

In my school there was this whole controversey with CAS. Basically I go to a school which is really into doing community service. So we have all grown up doing numerous projects. So in year I of IB about 40% of my ib class (maybe some 15 people) finished the 150 (or even more) hours. This was in hopes of not having to do more hours the next year and just focus on academics. Well we started the year and we were forced to continue doing CAS, and it got to a point where I had 300 hours and i really needed my free periods to study or work but i still had to go to my activities. What most bothers me about my school is that they seem to think that CAS is ONLY service, i have done like 100+ hours of creativity but they barely count it, and insist we continue to do only service. If we participate in a sport for example, it is not counted.

i have done like 100+ hours of creativity but they barely count it, and insist we continue to do only service. If we participate in a sport for example, it is not counted.

So, they have you mark down stuff that should be service as action? And why don't they consider sports.. Strange, you should really try talk to someone at IBO.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest carlalah

CAS Diaries are like reflection essays right? Or if thats something else ontop of the reflection write ups then i havent a clue. And it really sucks that some schools are concentrating more on just one aspect of CAS, if they actually beleive in the whole CAS "spirit" they should let people get hours for doing sport its just not right.

If you need any help as to what to do just ask :worship:

As my coordinator told me in CAS book we should rather write our own reflections (e.g. how does the work change us? what we think about? how have we developed?). I can understand it, because writing every week that you had guitar lesson and it was nice is pointless (having in mind that there is at least 50 hours of this activity). And of course we have to do all the CAS activities, creativity, action and service. What's more important in CAS is to have "long-terms", an activity which hold at least 6 months. Is it the same at your schools? :worship:

Edited by Harmonicgirl

• 3 weeks later...

We also have to fill in a form like the one HMSChocolate posted.That is for short activities,as in less than 4 hours.

That's why I usually don't join activities which are only an hour or so.If I have to fill in that form,it must at least be worth it.

I don't know when I started hating filling in stuff so much :D ,but at least now I know what I don't want to do later on.

• 2 weeks later...
I write mine in a diary format, and yes I describe every single activity. It's a pain. Unfortunately, not all schools are required to have a CAS diary, so we're one of the unlucky few.

Even we have to write CAS journals every week!!!...i mean we are reflecting on the same activity every week and ppl run out of things to say each week, so we have to make up a lot of our journals........they are a pain...i concur with you....definetly

Guest whatever

CAS journal structure?

1) introduce your activity +explain it

2) Reason of choice of the activity ---> goals you wanted to achieve before starting the activvity

3) Any difficulties you faced while doing the activity

4) Anyone helped you through these diffculties?How did you overcome them ?

5) Were you successfull in achieving your goals - after completing the activity?

6) Did you wish anything to be different?

7) How do you feel you have benifited from the activity ?

That's how they taught us to do it ..

• Like 7