CAS diary/reflections/presentation

Lil

I also write it as a diary format..but sometimes there is not much to write about

when I basically do the same things as last time...

By the way, how long are your CAS Journals?

Mine is usually 1/3 or 1/2 a page (Font : Times New Roman, Size : 12, single spaced)

would this suffice?

• 3 weeks later...
Do you write your CAS diary?! How should it be structured? And do you describe every activity you do?

At our school, they say the most important thing is to set goals and in your diary, reflect on them, every time something new happens or every time you get closer to achieving your goal.

Guest LauraheartsLife

At our school we have a booklet and each time we do any hours for our activity we have to write: What we did, what we learnt about the activity, what we learnt about ourselves, what we learnt about working with others. So if we did 50 hours of an activity in one hour installments, for each hour we would have to answer those questions =|

• 2 weeks later...
Do you write your CAS diary?! How should it be structured? And do you describe every activity you do?

Well I write my CAS diary as a normal Diary!

u need to write everything formal, u need to write down what kinds of activities u did and what u learned from it to prove them u did your CAS ~^^

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest syrianstar

Our school made us do CAS portofolios...you know the whole thing where you buy a scrapbook cut out pictures and make it look (or try to make it look) creative, interesting and attractive. Yeah right.

I can't draw/ be creative to save my miserable IB life so I ended up designing a website where I upload the pictures and edit my blogs and 'reflect'. Phew a lot less work to do but now I can't pretend I left my scrapbook at home if I didn't finish a journal entry lol :yes:

Our IB coordinator contacted the IBO about it to see if a website was ok and they said yes. Has anyone else thought about doing one?

For each entry? omg that's awesome.

My ones vary, usually they are three lines.

Haha, really? Our school requires that will fill out a form with a description of the activity, dates, supervisor's signature and phone number, get pre-approval, then get the supervisor to sign again, comment upon our performance, write the number of hours, and then we start our reflection and self-evaluation. We have to do at least 75 words per every 10 hours earned, and our CAS coordinator encourages us to talk about "personal growth" in them. :D

Really, how much personal growth can you undergo by collecting trash on the highway or something? :P

This means that we have to pick "deep and meaningful activities". Haha, so I get to write about how dancing (for action hours) encouraged me to look for the deeper and aesthetic beauty of things, as well as the importance of working together to improve ourselves. That should be interesting. :yes:

We just have to complete a form with a few questions on it when we turn in our hours. It's mostly things like: how did this activity help others? how did you improve over the course of this activity? Did you encounter any problems? etc.

Even a diary without pictures on it seems like too much effort.

• 3 weeks later...

Our school requires lengthy evaluations which basically address things like: "How did the activity assist other ppl," "Which area does it address (creativity, action or service)" "what did you learn from the activity" "did you develop any new leadership qualities" "what skills did the activity require" "who did it involve" ect. I think what makes a good reflection is, naturally, good structure, consistent structure for all evaluations, ample evidence (perhaps an award or letter a thank you for your effort or participation in some event, or photographic evidence) and good CAS portfolios tend to reflect good organization and structure. Also, ensure that your responses are not stupid (" I liked serving the homeless people because I got to meet new people" - first of all, volunteering at a soup kitchen is not a social activity, if you must write about the ppl, write about the diversity of people, their different life experiences and write something about developing the ability to empathise with ppl of different backgrounds, how you actively helped soceity etc.) and try to articulate yourself eloquently.

Our school takes CAS seriously, we have this CAS bulletin where there all these organizations calling for assistance, club and society stuff, our CAS co-ordinator is pretty damn strict, so we really can't evade the requirements for CAS.

-Neways, good luck with CAS, I mean as if the IB wasn't demanding enough, why don't we give 150 (or something) hours to the community???

I guess its productive in a way and exposes one to different experiences, although, seriously, sometimes I canNOT be stuffed. Oh well... I'm kinda postponing my hours, I've only done like 25, but I have a year and a half left...

Edited by dreameronherknees1