General May 2009 Exam Discussion - Preparation ONLY - No exam paper discussion

Sandwich

Yeah, ask your parents to lock you up in a cupboard or something with your text book, and not let you out until you know that chapter in the book. :P I'm only half kidding...

No, but seriously, make sure you remove distractions, make a schedule, follow it, award yourself some reward now and then, and DON'T forget to eat and sleep and maybe do some exercise as well.

:P

I actually Googled "revision timetables". Quite sad that I had to do that, seeing as my other classmates all instinctviely knew what to do when it came to revising. But I've never revsied like that before, so I'm excused. Do the same.

I have to make my timetable tomorrow, seeing as I got back from holiday abroad today and only turned a few pages of my biology book/reread my English plays.

Please, somebody help me 8[

What do you do to get your revision sorted??

This might sound a bit abstract, but try to be passionate about your work and the revision your putting in. Imagine that all the revision is relevant and that it is the gateway to success =) Equally make yourself a good time table like the others said. Try to follow the timetable as closely as you can and you'll be amased at how well you can keep track of time, thus thriving when it comes to your studies.

Whenever I lack motivation, I just tell myself that if I don't revise, I'll end up with crappy grades that will result in me being rejected from university, and thus, I'll end up being a hobo with no future.

Works for me.

Honestly, though...schedules are key. Keep your time perameters pretty broad to allow for breaks, interruptions, and your own sanity. Heh. I swear by schedules. As awful as it may initially feel to be restricting your own self, you quickly get accustomed to it. :P

Whenever I lack motivation, I just tell myself that if I don't revise, I'll end up with crappy grades that will result in me being rejected from university, and thus, I'll end up being a hobo with no future.

Works for me.

Honestly, though...schedules are key. Keep your time perameters pretty broad to allow for breaks, interruptions, and your own sanity. Heh. I swear by schedules. As awful as it may initially feel to be restricting your own self, you quickly get accustomed to it. :crying:

Don't you think that's a little bit radical approach? Well, I mean that mine is similar, when I lack motivation I imagine myself "being a hobo with no future" but then I think about the exam and Im starting to be afraid because thinking in that way can make you panic during the exam and mess everything up ;x Is that your problem too?

Don't you think that's a little bit radical approach? Well, I mean that mine is similar, when I lack motivation I imagine myself "being a hobo with no future" but then I think about the exam and Im starting to be afraid because thinking in that way can make you panic during the exam and mess everything up ;x Is that your problem too?

Haha. I suffer from similar problems. I know that it's radical and that it can screw me up during an exam, but if I don't go through the consequences of not revising, I'll never even get started. :crying: So, yes. It has its pros and cons.

Haha. I suffer from similar problems. I know that it's radical and that it can screw me up during an exam, but if I don't go through the consequences of not revising, I'll never even get started. :P So, yes. It has its pros and cons.

On the other hand it's good to know that im not alone. This can surely reduce the amount of panic I can face during the exam :crying: eventually we will end up as hobos in some bigger group, we could live together and call ourselves "ib hobos" or something like that, well :P

ok, enough of this chitchat, got to go back to revision :< oww, i wish this was over

i recommend to make a plan for each day with sufficient breaks every hour or so. you dont want to overload.

ask your teachers for past papers, these are giving you actual questions you can be faced with so this is always helpful

go through books and highlight main points then make summaries . i recommend not using other peoples notes, but make your own

it seems to help :)

Alright, so I am writing my SL Math and SL Biology exams in May.

(6th, 7th and 8th - couldn't have had a worse timetable)

& It seems like I've been studying for them since forever & still not getting too far :)

For math, I have most of the study guide (H&H) completed, some homework questions redone and no practice papers done yet)

For biology, I've been trying to memorize the necessary from the Oxford Study Guide... I'm two units short of my goal of having gone through/memorized everything and I keep on forgetting the stuff from the previous units I studied; only two past papers done (Papers 1,2 and 3).

So, I was wondering if I'm really behind on my exam preparations or is everyone around the same stage?

Any advice? :)

P.S. I'm predicted a 6 and 7 for those courses respectively.

Edited by 1-2-3

Um. I've hardly even started reviewing. Mostly because I still have two tests and four physics labs to finish before I start any intense studying.

However, I feel quite prepared for English. We've been doing countless practice commentaries throughout the year, and we have extremely detailed notes on all of our texts. Our teacher has us on the right track, and I'm feeling pretty confident. I feel similarly about History, as well. After reading through my notes once or twice, I should be able to achieve my desired mark.

But math? Physics? Ew. I really need to jump on it.

Math HL - unprepared

Chem HL - need to memorize options, minimal review

Eng A1 HL - unprepared

French B SL - unprepared

So very unprepared. Doesn't help that we don't get study breaks either, argh. The good thing is... I have no inhibitions about skipping at all so next week = cramming :)

Edit: Tip about Bio SL is just to do past papers and read the study guide. I had Bio+Econ last year crammed over 3 days (much like your schedule) so that's how I studied. :)

Edited by Irene

All of your are lucky in that you either wrote/are writing some of your exams in IB1. I have 6 subjects to revise for right now, although I'm leaving French until about May 14th because my French exam is only on the 21st or something and I have an 8 day break to revise for it.

Math Studies- Prepared :) Who wouldn't be, it's the easiest class. Only need to work on conditional probability.

Biology SL- Everything except Option G: Ecology has been revised and it's actually sticking in my head.

History- Didn't start.

Economics- Didn't start.

English- Need to reread plays endlessly. It's the only revision class I'm attending in school.