Is this a normal thing...

Capa

Hi, I am extremely tired nowaday because of immense school pressure

I just wondered if it is normal that IB classes are at school in the weekennds doing extra lessons?

Most of my teachers want us to have extra lessons (because we need it) and very often, I am at school from 8am to 5pm.

Is it just us or is it just IB?

Capa...

It's not only you, our history HL students have to go in every Sunday for 2 hours so that they will finish the syllabus. Apparently they've been doing this with every IB2 class for the past couple of years.

And we will probably have weekend classes nearer exam time. Had on for Math.

It's so irritating to wake up on Sunday and know that you have to go to school. Classes 6 days a week.

But our teachers don't think every subject needs revision classes, how come your's do? We've finished the syllabus for Bio SL, Math Studies and History SL.

Thanks Vvi!!! You other guys made me REALLY worried.

We don't do it in all subjects, but some teachers, for instance chemistry and history, want us to have extra lessons.

So I need to get ready for school this saturday too! :)

This is because last year, our coordinator was a lazy Norwegian which did not give us the right information and we ended up being far behind, however, the syllabus in most subjects are thankfully getting near the end now. (and we have a new and good coordinator)

we never had extra clases but i would have to stay in school for about three extra hours a day about two or three times a week in order to be abl to fininsh all the chem labs that we had to do. and then starting about two weeks before exams we would meet about 2 times during the school week, and then those 2 saturdays from 1 to 3 hours for extra practice, but none of all this extra time was requiered, but ti was encouraged.

IB sets the numbers of hours of classes for every subject (and even every topic and internal assessment lessons), or at least gives the school a rough guide, so it isn't supposed to go over the set amount of time.

Our school used to have weekend lessons only for the IB students but that was only because the timetables of all the students wouldn't work out esp. for those students who'd take the more obscure subjects like Further Maths or Computer Science.

Do you mean you have lessons all the time from 8 am to 5 pm? Do you have a lot of breaks in between or no classes?

We also have to be in school at 8 am and have our last period until 4.30 pm. But that doesn't apply to everyone.

We start school at 8am and end at 2:30pm. On Wednesdays and Fridays we end even earlier, at 1:45 and at 12:50.

So really, we only have 4 full days of school a week. I don't know how we actually manage to get all the teaching hours that the IB sets. Hardly anyone has weekend classes, just History HL.

Edited by Vvi

My class is more or less like Vvi. Started at 8.00 till 2.20pm from Monday to Thursday. Friday from 8.00 to 12.30 pm.

We do not have class during weekends but we usually do remedial slot for weak students.

For example, every Thursday we will have Math remedial from 3.00 to 4.00. The extra lesson is usually in the evening.

NO matter how the lesson be, the work loads of... and this is IB..

School starts at 8:25, finishes at 3:25. We don't have extra classes on weekends, but we do have extra classes in mornings (period 0) or after school (period 7).

But then I've heard the year above mine had extra English class(es) on weekends in IB2, so we might have them this year.

At least we gain a lot from it :)

Even though one of the few things that it was possible to look forward to is gone lol (weekends)

Anyway, I'm sure it helped, didn't it? :(

I will admit, that may be why I did really good on my History exam.

She went over how to analyze the facts and it really hauled my ass into the clear haha.