Is this a normal thing...

Capa

just you o-O

although the other IB school in brisbane (QLD, aust) has something called "extended essay days" where they meet up at one of our local universities to access their resources and to obviously work on their ee's. but its not compulsory~

we had to do that. it was three weeks (5 days a week for 3 to 4 hours a day) and 50USD per student and we went to 2 differnt universities for work. most people finished their essay by the end of it

I'm only in IB1, so no official extra classes for me (although I've had to go to work on some labs after school for chemistry). The year 2 students, however, have some classes after school, usually for History but also for Math SL this year. Not mandatory, but recommended, definitely.

Wow Merit Cullen, I don't know anythng about how you do at shcool but I seriously would reccommend less work outside of school. You will get fnished in May, then you will have lots of time to work :D

I am the highest average of my generation, so I guess I am doing descently well with all of it.. :D

this is normal! Sometimes, in my school, if we haven't finished talking about a certain topic or we haven't completed lab hours, or just plain and simply have too much work to be able to finish it in the school day, students may come back during the weekend or stay after school in order to do any of those things. I guess it depends on the teacher and the school if there are enough hours during the class period for things to be covered in an extensive manner.

All in all, its completely ok. Its annoying :D , but I guess its a requirement :D

good luck!

Guest syrianstar

No, it's not just you.

Our school is very behind with the Internal Assessment labs for Biology and Chemistry. By behind, I mean that we have literally not even completed 10 hours of lab for BOTH subjects together! Therefore from now on we are expected to come into school on the weekends in order to catch up with our lab experiments, until 15 March when everything is due. We also have to come into school on Saturdays to have our Oral exams.

Frankly, I hate the fact that we have to give up our weekends. Our teachers already give us work during the week that keeps up until 2:00am every night and it's so unfair that they are taking our weekends when they've already taken our sleep too!

No, it's not just you. The situation at my school is completely different. I have all the IB classes additionally to the classes for my "normal" German Abitur diploma. Therefore, IB students have a lot more to do than those who do "only" the German Abitur. However, we never had classes on weekends. The only exception will be the Oral Assessments!

• 2 weeks later...
we had to do that. it was three weeks (5 days a week for 3 to 4 hours a day) and 50USD per student and we went to 2 differnt universities for work.

sorry for the super late reply,

and wow, it sounds like a pain but i guess the fact that you finished your essay makes it worthwhile.

our ee teacher is beyond pathetic, she doesn't do anything but sit there and whinge about how far behind we are. really helpful >_______>;

but i wish that they offered that here, oh well i'll keep dreaming~

Our history teacher suggested that we do extra lesson on weekends. But nobody wants to spend the weekend at school :D So we do them on Friday (3-4/5pm), but we dont have to go. Math HL students do extra lessons before school starts, at like 7ish. In other subjects we dont do extra lessons. We finished the sylabus in biology and math studies has only one topic to go.