Psychology Paper 1

Moony

You are not allowed to talk about Paper 2 until 1300 GMT and bear in mind that during the summer the UK is in GMT+1. General comments are fine, but nothing specific about the questions! Or I'll ban you all for the whole exam period!

• Like 1

I think I did the "Examine one interaction between cognition and physiology in terms of behaviour. " Talked about meditation studies :)

Interesting to hear this. I did the same. I had studied how behavior could influence cognition and physiology, so I felt screwed when the question came up on how cognition and physiology could interact to affect one behavior... But it went alright in the end.

What behavior did you link it to?

I think I did the "Examine one interaction between cognition and physiology in terms of behaviour. " Talked about meditation studies :)

Interesting to hear this. I did the same. I had studied how behavior could influence cognition and physiology, so I felt screwed when the question came up on how cognition and physiology could interact to affect one behavior... But it went alright in the end.

I might be wrong, but don't they both mean the same thing? If you reword the question it basically is "In terms of behavior, examine the interaction between cognition and physiology." If that makes any sense :teehee: But again, Psych learning outcomes are my weakest haha :P

But the behavior I linked it to was stress and how meditation helps control and reduce stress levels; used Davidson et al 2004, and Vestergaard-Paoulson (2009) :)

Edited by pitapocket

I might be wrong, but don't they both mean the same thing? If you reword the question it basically is "In terms of behavior, examine the interaction between cognition and physiology." If that makes any sense :teehee: But again, Psych learning outcomes are my weakest haha :P

But the behavior I linked it to was stress and how meditation helps control and reduce stress levels; used Davidson et al 2004, and Vestergaard-Paoulson (2009) :)

Exactly the same as me! However, I linked it to cardiorespiratory fitness instead.

It's not the same though. That learning outcome wasn't what we got.

The question was something like "Discuss how cognitive and physiological processes interact to affect one behavior", which tripped me up when I had planned to talk about how behavior affects cog. & phys. processes.

• Like 1

According to the IB Markscheme: When Discuss how cognition and physiology interact one behaviour, the following discussion are valid.

One-directional(One factor influences another)

Milner on Brain damage and memory impariment(Amnesia)

Davidson's research into meditation

Something else that I forgot

Bidirectional interaction such as

Emotion (Schater and Singer/La Doux)

Positive feedback loop

Phantom limb syndrome(What I wrote about)

So yes, meditation is valid to be discussed!

• Like 1

There are pre-set markschemes for psychology essays? :o I thought they just graded it according to "general" criteria (e.g. relevant knowledge, evaluation ....)? Or did I just miss something big?? :D

Also how did paper 2 go? (I think we are allowed to talk about it now but I'm horrible with time converstions!) I got lucky that one of my options had the question I had written a thorough essay outline on the day before!

Edited by Erasmusrasmus

According to the IB Markscheme: When Discuss how cognition and physiology interact one behaviour, the following discussion are valid.

One-directional(One factor influences another)

Milner on Brain damage and memory impariment(Amnesia)

Davidson's research into meditation

Something else that I forgot

Emotion (Schater and Singer/La Doux)

Positive feedback loop

Phantom limb syndrome(What I wrote about)

So yes, meditation is valid to be discussed!

However, the question specifically stated the effect on one behavior. Afaik, Davidson's research in itself only relates the effect of the behavior of mediation to physiological changes, or am I wrong?

Edit: Are you referring to May 2012 TZ2? If so, I think you're right

• "the effect of meditation on physiological processes (e.g. Davidson, Luders,

University of Wisconsin) "

Seems counter-intuitive, but it appears that they allow how behavior affects physiology, despite the question being on affecting behavior. Strange.

Edited by Negotiation

Hi guys, I just have one question. i wrote the "evaluate one theory or model of one cognitive process" essay and I wrote about the schema theory... do you think its correct? Since no one in my school used schema theory, I'm kind of worried now.

Thanks

Hi guys, I just have one question. i wrote the "evaluate one theory or model of one cognitive process" essay and I wrote about the schema theory... do you think its correct? Since no one in my school used schema theory, I'm kind of worried now.

Thanks

I don't see why not-as technically it is a theory of memory-as long as you ensured you kept referring back to the question :)

Emotion

Would this apply to the cognitive 8 mark question as well as the essay? I used Speisman et al. (1964), the study where different emotional responses were provoked depending on the stimuli

• Like 1

I did the biological question of cognition and physiology interacting affecting one behavior. The behavior I chose was stress and used Selye (1956) GAS model to go against the question and used Kiecolt Glaser et al (1984) and Reed et al (1999) to support the statement. I literally just wrote it as if it was a paper 2 health question but recycled it into paper 1. Do you think this approach is credible?

Don't know any thing about the Health option, and absolutely nothing about the studies that you have mentioned haha :P But here is the complete mark scheme for that question:

The command term “discuss” requires candidates to offer a considered review,
supported by appropriate evidence, of one way in which cognition and physiological
processes interact to affect behaviour.
In discussing interaction, examples may be either one-directional or bi-directional, but
candidates are not required to make the distinction.
Examples of one-directional (that is, one factor influences the other factor) include, but
are not limited to:
 the role of acetylcholine or beta-amyloid proteins on Alzheimer’s disease
 the effect of meditation on physiological processes (e.g. Davidson, Luders,
University of Wisconsin)
 the role of the hippocampus in memory dysfunction and/or creation (e.g. Maguire,
Milner).
Examples of bi-directional (that is, looking at the true interdependence of both factors)
include, but are not limited to:
 models of emotions (e.g. LeDoux, Schachter and Singer)
 Ramachandran on perception and pain in phantom limb syndrome
 positive feedback loops to explain psychological disorders (e.g. panic attacks,
depression, eating disorders).
  • Like 1

well i hadn't studied sociocultural properly so i completely messed up the 8 mark question about the effect of stereotypes on behaviours :/ but other than that i thought the paper was very nice, and i did the cognitive 22 marks "Evaluate one theory or model of one cognitive process" - Working Memory Model for the win! :D Paper 2 however, was a different story. I honestly don't know how that one will end up but either way it will be a surprise for sure :S

Hey sameera95 we take exactly the same subjects!!!

• Like 1

Thanks

Yeah it seems valid since it is part of memory. You've just got to state that the cognitive process as memory.

Thanks

Yeah it seems valid since it is part of memory. You've just got to state that the cognitive process as memory.

Thank god. I also chose to do schema theory because I know the theory better than MSM. I only prepared one study for MSM and it wasn't enough for an essay.

Overall, I also found paper 1 quite easy!

well i hadn't studied sociocultural properly so i completely messed up the 8 mark question about the effect of stereotypes on behaviours :/ but other than that i thought the paper was very nice, and i did the cognitive 22 marks "Evaluate one theory or model of one cognitive process" - Working Memory Model for the win! :D Paper 2 however, was a different story. I honestly don't know how that one will end up but either way it will be a surprise for sure :S

Hey sameera95 we take exactly the same subjects!!!

YAY! High Five :hi5:

To Sameera: I don't think the IB examiners are so picky with the dates, as long as the mistake is not too extreme (For example if you say Harlow (2008) or Maguire et al. (1900)) :P

haha, it wasn't that bad I guess, but it did happen on 3 different occasions: 1) sociocultural 8 marks (i messed up that entire question :P), 2) cognitive 22 marks, 3) abnormal 22 marks :/ its just that its been drilled into our heads that not remembering dates can affect your final mark for knowledge

My teacher's a senior examiner and she told us they're not paying as much attention to dates anymore because they realized it puts a lot of unnecessary pressure on students to remember it. I don't know if they did this for the last exam session as well, but she said we shouldn't worry about it too much! :)

Edited by battlescarves
  • Like 2

Exactly the same as me! However, I linked it to cardiorespiratory fitness instead.

It's not the same though. That learning outcome wasn't what we got.

The question was something like "Discuss how cognitive and physiological processes interact to affect one behavior", which tripped me up when I had planned to talk about how behavior affects cog. & phys. processes.

oh oh ok! The command terms :headchop: