Psychology Paper 1

Moony

Haha, I was somewhat screwed over. I had studied for how behavior can affect cognitive and physiological processes, so I was "mildly" stressed when the question on how cognitive and physiological processes affect behavior turned up instead. The learning outcome of this had been ambiguous and simply stated "in terms of behavior", which I took to mean either direction.

However, I ended up wrapping it together somewhat. The A questions were easy, though I may have written too much.

Edit: TZ2

Edited by Negotiation

What are the average grade boundaries for a 7 and a 6 in SL papers 1 and 2?

For 2012 it was:

Paper 1:

6: 25-29

7: 30-46

Paper 2:

6: 14-16

7: 17-22

Expect this year's grade boundaries to be similar, but maybe not exact.

Source: http://www.omkarmin.com/pdf/ib-grade-boundaries-2012-when-comparing-your-results-to-329387.pdf

Edited by metsfanAJM

well i hadn't studied sociocultural properly so i completely messed up the 8 mark question about the effect of stereotypes on behaviours :/ but other than that i thought the paper was very nice, and i did the cognitive 22 marks "Evaluate one theory or model of one cognitive process" - Working Memory Model for the win! :D Paper 2 however, was a different story. I honestly don't know how that one will end up but either way it will be a surprise for sure :S

• Like 2

I loved paper 1!! It was so funny, I actually already answered 2 of the questions before the exams and got feedback from my teacher, and then at the exam I found both questions again and was very happy.

I did the question on conformity too, as I had already done it before the exam.

Guys, neither me nor anyone in the moderating team have eyes around their heads 24/7. If I was feeling mean today I would have warned all of you for participating in the discussion that was placed outside the Exam Discussion forum. You're not allowed to do it and next time I won't be so nice and I'll warn all participants of the conversation. If one of you spots a situation like this in the future, please PM one of the Moderators or Administrators or report the topic.

Gaby

I also did the Memory Model essay question-I wrote about Baddeley and Hitch's Working Memory Model and their study for it, then spoke about Bunge et al. and patient KF. Overall I was really happy with my essay response. Section A I was mostly happy with, the biological level of analysis question ("Outline one principle...") was beautiful :) but I had a mental block for the cognitive 8 mark question about biological and cognitive factors so ended up writing about Speisman and emotional responses affecting cognitive appraisal :/ so I din't know how well that one went. Sociocultural level of analysis question I felt I answered fairly well-I used Cardwell's definition of what stereotypes are and then spoke about Stereotype Threat using Steele and Aronson's study as an example. I really hope I did well on this paper!

Edited by psychologystudent501
  • Like 1

I also did the Memory Model essay question-I wrote about Baddeley and Hitch's Working Memory Model and their study for it, then spoke about Bunge et al. and patient KF. Overall I was really happy with my essay response. Section A I was mostly happy with, the biological level of analysis question ("Outline one principle...") was beautiful :) but I had a mental block for the cognitive 8 mark question about biological and cognitive factors so ended up writing about Speisman and emotional responses affecting cognitive appraisal :/ so I din't know how well that one went. Sociocultural level of analysis question I felt I answered fairly well-I used Cardwell's definition of what stereotypes are and then spoke about Stereotype Threat using Steele and Aronson's study as an example. I really hope I did well on this paper!

for the cognitive 8 marks i didnt even define memory :doh: for the 22 marks i talked about WMM, then Baddeley and Hitch study as support for model, Bunge et al as further support for model, Clive Wearing as against model (several stores for long term memory because he retained some procedural memories - playing piano - but lost almost his entire semantic memory) and Yuille and Cutshall as against model because of flash bulb memories ---> but i got the date for this study wrong :no:

I BET YOU DID MUCH BETTER THAN ME - ESPECIALLY THAT PAPER 2 :P

TZ2 candidate here. The Section A is quite solid: for BLOA I used Martinez and Kesner to demonstrate how animal studies can inform us about human behaviours; for CLOA I used Sacks (2007) to demonstrate how the transferral between STM and LTM can be affected by damage in hippocampus; for SCLOA I just used stereotype threat (Steele(1997); Aronson and Steele(1995)).

Section B was also solid, chose BLOA and discussed about Ramachandran's research on perception and pain in phantom limb syndrome. Really hoping for a high mark for this ERQ on this bizarre however interesting behaviour....

Overall, I am very satisfied with this paper :P

To Sameera: I don't think the IB examiners are so picky with the dates, as long as the mistake is not too extreme (For example if you say Harlow (2008) or Maguire et al. (1900)) :P

Edited by ibsweden144

TZ2 paper 1 I talked about the principle 'Animal Research can provide insight in human behavior', forgot what the cognitive question was, and for the stereotypes I talked about stereotype threat on verbal performance ability, not entirely confident in that one, just used Steele and Aronson.

All hail the lord I knew all of the 22 mark questions, talked about flashbulb memory.

I was panicking before paper 2, but thank god they had the learning outcomes I studied for and actually remembered.

All hail the lord I knew all of the 22 mark questions, talked about flashbulb memory.

You don't know how happy I am that you said that. Nobody else in my class seems to have used flashbulb memory and it worried me a little. I'm glad somebody else did.

You don't know how happy I am that you said that. Nobody else in my class seems to have used flashbulb memory and it worried me a little. I'm glad somebody else did.

i also mentioned flashbulb memories on the cognitive 22 marks! :) you mean for TZ2 right?

To Sameera: I don't think the IB examiners are so picky with the dates, as long as the mistake is not too extreme (For example if you say Harlow (2008) or Maguire et al. (1900)) :P

haha, it wasn't that bad I guess, but it did happen on 3 different occasions: 1) sociocultural 8 marks (i messed up that entire question :P), 2) cognitive 22 marks, 3) abnormal 22 marks :/ its just that its been drilled into our heads that not remembering dates can affect your final mark for knowledge

Edited by sameera95
  • Like 1

Everyone here seems to have been happy about how the paper went :) As I said earlier, I think I messed up the cognitive 8 mark question-I completely forgot what the objective required, hence why I wrote about Speisman and cognitive appraisal/emotion. I did manage to link in a cognitive principle though, so hopefully I've scraped a few marks for the question. Maybe the examiner will like my interpretation of the question :(

i also mentioned flashbulb memories on the cognitive 22 marks! :) you mean for TZ2 right?

haha, it wasn't that bad I guess, but it did happen on 3 different occasions: 1) sociocultural 8 marks (i messed up that entire question :P), 2) cognitive 22 marks, 3) abnormal 22 marks :/ its just that its been drilled into our heads that not remembering dates can affect your final mark for knowledge

Same happened here, I misspelled Martinez and Kesner and wrote Kesner with 2 s, then I wrote Hofstede 1986, instead of 1984 and then I also wrote Marie Jahova (1958)'s model of positive mental health, instead of Jahoba :/ I hope the examiners won't mind too much, because I knew everything else.. :/

EDIT: WE CAN'T TALK ABOUT PAPER 2 UNTIL 24 HOURS ARE UP BE CAREFUL

Edited by sameera95
  • Like 1

I do mean TZ2! I'm glad that I hadn't completely messed up and was meant to do schema or something like most of my class did.