Group 4 project topics

Guest yeemonkyaw

Aphan9: You really got/needed two months for your Group 4!? We had one week, Day one and two for planning, three and four for experimentation and data processing, and presentations on the Friday. Though we had no other classes than G4 all week.

For our project, we tried to find out which soda that mentos has the greatest reaction with. It was great fun, and we learnt a lot too!

For your information, Coke Light and Pepsi Max have the strongest reactions, shooting the soda between 70 and 75 cm into the air (Coke Light is the strongest)!

Very interesting, easy to do, and tons of fun! Group 4 is genius! (If anyone's interested, I'll upload a PDF of our presentation)

EDIT: The Group 4 Project gives a lot of hours of labwork, so the teacher's don't have to come up with tons upon tons of labs.

Can you upload your presentation? I am very intersted and it sounds like a lot of fun.

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...
Oh my god!..i love your topic quiet much! We were just using Dr. Emoto's theory and reading about them in TOK class relating it with science, psychology, emotions and stuff. Quiet innovative and coneventional one. The broad topic that we have chosen is energy. My group is planning to do on food consumption in school or like energy provided by the uptake of each meal. Since i have to write two reports; one in biology and chemistry, i might just probably take up one on calorimetry and the other on contents of fats in different oils used in the school food. So what do you think?..any suggestions?

so all of you guyz done with the G4 project or in the process of doing it and planning it out?.My school has just started organizing the groups and we are in the process of planning and starting the real thing. Is it late?. When are your deadlines by the way?

We just went over Dr, Emoto's theory in TOK also. It really blew my mind, in a good way of course. I think all politicians should take some sort of theory of knowledge class before even elected. I wanted to merge a theory from tok and use it in the group four project. However, my biology teacher is somewhat primative in her ways of thinking and interacting with other individuals, especially teaching them. Lol.

• 3 weeks later...

To answer your question, every school has a unique way they want the data to be presented. We are doing a school-parent-student night and a formal presentation of the data in front of everyone. Very serious stuff :dash: . So you should be in contact and fully aware of what your school wants. Some students in near-by schools, just got up in front of class and goofed around. All relative really. Make sure you know exactly what to do, cause scoring could be effected. Like my presentation is part of the grade in the classes. Which really weighs in heavy since I have both bio + chem HL.

well our Group 4 project is going to be in May ! and our topic is Sea and Surroundings ! i find it quite stupid ! i dont know ! and i dont really know or have anything in mind about the Chemistry point of view ? any suggestions ? what is there in chemistry something creative other than pH, electrolysis and these stufff... appreciate it !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My school looked at THE SCIENCE OF ART... most people made paint out of vegetables for some reason, but my group looked at fireworks, even though nearly all of my group are biologists. Needless to say that my team were really enthusiastic to start with, then lost their enthusiasm when they realised the limitations that the schools health and safety would put on our project. In the end, we did some flame tests, but then we managed to get some more interesting tests... AND we walked away with 3 bags of jelly babies, because I'd ordered them to use as fuel to burn some chemicals with, and we werent allowed to use them.

Our teachers put us into teams with people they didn't think we'd get along with, to test our personal skills. I ended up almost throttling one of my team... bad times in st andrews.

• 4 weeks later...

Our class came up with the topic of Water for our G4! VERY broad topic... but since my group of 5 people was very hungry on the planning day, we decided to specialize in fruit! Our planning sheet was just turned in for approval, and we have less than 3 weeks to start and finish the experiments. We will dry fruits in the oven to find out the % of water, find the pH levels of different fruits, and the starch content. :D I do have a question: we were planning on re-doing all of these experiments 2 more times, after letting the fruit sit out and rot for a week, and then after another week (2 total). Would this make the time span of the G4 project too long? Would it be sufficient to just do the experiments on fresh fruit, or would it make it more interesting to test the rotting fruit also? If anyone has comments or opinions, I would be happy to hear them!

Just quickly, for this project we somehow managed to get the school electricity bill, and it was over $7000 a month for a school of 1000 people. Anyway, we did it on electricity wastage, and worked out that the school could be saving up to $6000 a year by turning off lights in class rooms when no one is in them.

we have been given the topic : confectionary...we are currently working on it.

I think it is kind of fun , but it makes you eating many sweets=)

However , we are going to present our topic in front of teachers,parents and new IB students ...I feel pity for everyone who is listening, that must be so boring .

we have been given the topic : confectionary...we are currently working on it.

I think it is kind of fun , but it makes you eating many sweets=)

However , we are going to present our topic in front of teachers,parents and new IB students ...I feel pity for everyone who is listening, that must be so boring .

Everyone seems to be taking it so seriously... Ours was a laugh, the presentation was based on a film we'd made, and a poster which was a kind of parody of a lab report. We were told to be as creative as possible and that the most important was that we had fun.

• 2 weeks later...

For ours, they decided to do something different this year. We had to have groups of 3-4, and each one had to be a mix of IB11s and IB12s. Instead of a presentation, we had to make some kind of a blog presentation on a blog, a website, or even something like Facebook. The general topic was "if we could go back in time and do anything that would affect the world scientifically, what would it be?"

Our group's was... interesting. We did something about sea turtles in Trinidad and how they're now endangered now, and we ended up writing gigantic essays to each other in our Facebook group about ethical issues and how we could've stopped their drop in population. :P Luckily, we remembered about the Bio Option E ecology stuff and eventually pulled it back towards a more scientific direction, haha. :P

I'm pretty sure they evaluated on each member's participation in this blog, but I'm not too sure. Fact of the matter is: no presentation for us. :) Yay.