Group 4 project topics

Guest yeemonkyaw

Our theme was 'Increase and Decrease'.

Our title was how the cholestrol and glucose-level in blood changed during a high dosage/intake of; A) Fat B)Carbohydrates C)Caffeine and D) Proteins

We were four and what we then basically did was that for one day we went on a strict diet. No breakfast and etc. Blood samples were taken. Then our lunch then consisted of the following.1 person ate pure butter (that had say over 70% of fat), another drank very very strong concentrated coffee, another drank protein drinks/powder and another (me) ate sugarcubes (33 in total!!! I have never appriciated my toothbrush and toothpaste so much before). Then we took blood samples again and saw the difference.

I find it so amusing because even though I ate so much carbohydrates, my blood-glucose level went down meh. Oh and we taped it all and came 2nd place in the contest :yes:

I was put into two groups as we didnt have enough chemists for all the groups!

My first group did a project on Ice Cream :lol:

My tested the composition using fat test and compared a cheap ice cream to an expensive ice cream :huh:

We compared the taste of the two brands and the different flavours, using a blindfold test. You could tell which ice cream had the most fat in it etc etc

We also examined the fat globules in the ice creams under a microscope and compared the results.

We carried out a latent heat test of the ice creams :D

My second group chose a topic of the water transport of plants.

We used celery as the test plant as it contains very visible xylem channels.

We placed the celery in dyed various pH's and recorded the results of the uptake of water.

We then took cross sections of the xylem vessels at various parts of the celery,and looked at them under a microscope.

If the water/ solutions were absorbed well then then the dye would be seen throughout the xylem.

Those are my groups very basic outlines!

Guest yeemonkyaw
I think I have mine wait up.

Our title was "music" and the sub topic for my group was "the affect of music on water...

As a start of our group 4 project, our teachers arranged a discussion meeting with the whole class to suggest ideas for a theme for our group four project in the second semester of our first IB year. In this session we suggested over 20 ideas, and then narrowed it down to: the senses, junk food, wood, and music. In an attempt to be creative and original, the majority of the class voted on basing our research for Group 4 around music.

In the presentation of the group 4 however I had a larger role, first of all our aim was not to present information alone but to entertain while we present it. This is why my classmates and I had devised a series of dances on different types of music form different eras. I participated in the dance for the song representing the Stone Age with my partner Adnan which was basically very primitive dance with drums and striking body movement, and a techno song with my partner Sultan where we showed the style of dance known as “popping”.

For my chemistry group, my colleagues and I worked under the title: “the affect of music on water molecules”. In this title we set out to research how water molecules’ movement was affected by music. To do so we had to look into some pseudo science and theories, and other solid proof. My as a member of the group was to write the play script portraying the ideas which my colleagues researched about. The script had to include all the ideas and researches behind the Dr. Masarau Emoto’s theory of ice crystal formation, so I reread the information my colleagues had found on this theory, and then created a dialogue which included all the points. I also participated in presenting this information, where my role was to act as life size water molecule which had varied in its movement when subject to different types of music.

this is temporary! the pdf site is kind of slow, so when I get it pdf-ed I'll edit this post, and since you have less than 10 posts I'll be nice and just let u read it before I upload the pdf :huh:

Oh my god!..i love your topic quiet much! We were just using Dr. Emoto's theory and reading about them in TOK class relating it with science, psychology, emotions and stuff. Quiet innovative and coneventional one. The broad topic that we have chosen is energy. My group is planning to do on food consumption in school or like energy provided by the uptake of each meal. Since i have to write two reports; one in biology and chemistry, i might just probably take up one on calorimetry and the other on contents of fats in different oils used in the school food. So what do you think?..any suggestions?

so all of you guyz done with the G4 project or in the process of doing it and planning it out?.My school has just started organizing the groups and we are in the process of planning and starting the real thing. Is it late?. When are your deadlines by the way?

no it's not late, we had ours in the end of dec :huh: now that's late! lol

anyway I didn't know emotoes theories were discussed as TOK topics :lol: hehe and here I was thinking I was special for finding the guy off the internet :D

anyway about your topics, they both look like biology topics to me :D I mean content of fat is kinda a bio topic, and calorimeter is a bio one too

How about if you measure the enthalpy produced from each oil? then you can deduce which one is a better type of oil (because it heats faster/slower produces more/less energy blah blah blah)

or what you suggested is cool too...

We did ours on a waterpark with water slides. We measured the acceleration/speeds of the water slides using just string and angles (forgot exactly how...), then we got people to go on the slides and then measured heartbeat, blood pressure and time it takes them to return to normal etc etc. Oh measuring the wavelength of the wavepool was fun. Also then we went to an amusement park and measured the speeds of rides there (all with just string, normal meter ruler and normal school protractor) etc etc. The point was to determine whether speed was the indicator of "fun" in amusement parks. We hated that place after spending 6 hours there, running around while our teacher sat in a deck chair and relaxed. :huh:

Guest yeemonkyaw

pretty fun and entertaining hehehe.....lucky you guyz...Now the science coordinator has said we could only use our school premises as a site since it is 60 acres. so yeah we are taking up different aspects of Gropu 4 which can be done in the school itself like using refectory, pool, food served in school, energy efficiency and stuff!!.....wish we could go to some place and chill as well as do some enjoyable labs. Pretty cool thing....hahaha....did u guyz get on any ride and stuff??

wish we could go to some place and chill as well as do some enjoyable labs.

Correction, we didn't get to chill. We ran around like maniacs doing our lab while our teacher chilled with answering occasional questions for us. :huh:

Pretty cool thing....hahaha....did u guyz get on any ride and stuff??

Yes, that's the whole point. :lol: We conducted the experiments by going on the rides ourselves. Since each experiment had to be done multiple times, we ended going on each slide about 10 times. We got so sick of the place at the end. Never came back there since. :D

• Like 1

Guest yeemonkyaw
no it's not late, we had ours in the end of dec :D now that's late! lol

anyway I didn't know emotoes theories were discussed as TOK topics :D hehe and here I was thinking I was special for finding the guy off the internet :D

anyway about your topics, they both look like biology topics to me :P I mean content of fat is kinda a bio topic, and calorimeter is a bio one too

How about if you measure the enthalpy produced from each oil? then you can deduce which one is a better type of oil (because it heats faster/slower produces more/less energy blah blah blah)

or what you suggested is cool too...

so yeah just let me see what all topics i can make up because my group has 2 biologists so yeah i think both of us can use it. umm....i was wondering topics for environmentalists if we had choosen food. i dont take environment or physics though. any suggestions?

Now if i were to do on food, these are my options, the broad topic being food in school:

1. The saturated or unsaturated fat content of different oils used in the school refectory by finding out the iodine number. (hey does it sound like chemistry now?...i dont know.i just somehow has to make it to sound like chemistry... :huh: hehehe)

2. enthalpy produced from each oil to deduce better type of oil.

3. to find out the energy content of the meal by calorimetry.

okay...im just framing them into questions. :lol: still quiet uncertain about it though :P

Edited by yeemonkyaw

so yeah just let me see what all topics i can make up because my group has 2 biologists so yeah i think both of us can use it. umm....i was wondering topics for environmentalists if we had choosen food. i dont take environment or physics though. any suggestions?

Now if i were to do on food, these are my options, the broad topic being food in school:

1. The saturated or unsaturated fat content of different oils used in the school refectory by finding out the iodine number. (hey does it sound like chemistry now?...i dont know.i just somehow has to make it to sound like chemistry... :P hehehe)

2. enthalpy produced from each oil to deduce better type of oil.

3. to find out the energy content of the meal by calorimetry.

okay...im just framing them into questions. :P still quiet uncertain about it though :huh:

yea sounds more chemistry with the iodine addition :lol:

and they look fine :D don't stress about G4 so much, as long as you are not repeating a topic (i.e 2 groups are not doing the same topic) what you've posted up there is more than fine :D I mean for mine all I had to do was read some article and dress as a water bubble and jump around on a stage (yes very juvenile, but hey it was different! lool)

Guest yeemonkyaw

oooo... :P thats quiet cool. But i was told that if i had two science subjects, then i got to write up two seperate lab reports for myself irrespective of what other people in my group are writing on according to their subjects (another topic on the same aspect). Or is it like the combined lab reports of all the students involved in a group?.. :P

Guest IB_procrastinator
oooo... :P thats quiet cool. But i was told that if i had two science subjects, then i got to write up two seperate lab reports for myself irrespective of what other people in my group are writing on according to their subjects (another topic on the same aspect). Or is it like the combined lab reports of all the students involved in a group?.. :P

I don't think you need to write any reports at all actually, but you need to write a planning of the lab you are intending to do. Or at least in my school, it's the presentation that counts, make sure you have your data and analyse it and see if it proves your hypothesis right or wrong. Just do lotta work on your poster and presentation. Hope that helps.

We had the dumbest central topic ever....Chocolate :P

There was some cool stuff among the choices we had come up with, like the river that runs near our school, or one of the many reservoirs in the island - and there was also something about a currently active volcano, which could have been a GREAT group 4 topic - but the problem was that the volcano is in Reunion Island, i.e. not in the country, it would have been too much of a hassle getting people over there - plus there were a few financial issues as well.

Anyway, the rounded off top two turned out to be the volcano topic and chocolate, and as many people had issues with the former (as mentioned before) , we had to start thinking of experiments revolving "chocolate". How exciting.

I do all 3 sciences, but there wasnt a lot of interesting stuff to do; for physics my group investigated the specific heat capacity (yawn), for bio we tested the presence of certain chemicals/nutrients and saw and for chemistry it was something similar. There were a few groups who came up with rather intriguing experiments, though I forgot what they were about.

Guest yeemonkyaw
We had the dumbest central topic ever....Chocolate :P

There was some cool stuff among the choices we had come up with, like the river that runs near our school, or one of the many reservoirs in the island - and there was also something about a currently active volcano, which could have been a GREAT group 4 topic - but the problem was that the volcano is in Reunion Island, i.e. not in the country, it would have been too much of a hassle getting people over there - plus there were a few financial issues as well.

Anyway, the rounded off top two turned out to be the volcano topic and chocolate, and as many people had issues with the former (as mentioned before) , we had to start thinking of experiments revolving "chocolate". How exciting.

I do all 3 sciences, but there wasnt a lot of interesting stuff to do; for physics my group investigated the specific heat capacity (yawn), for bio we tested the presence of certain chemicals/nutrients and saw and for chemistry it was something similar. There were a few groups who came up with rather intriguing experiments, though I forgot what they were about.

hey how come you have all the three sciences? it isnt possible to take all three in IB, is it?.i think two sciences at most right? :innocent: