Group 4 project topics

Guest yeemonkyaw

How much work did you guys have to put into your Group 4 Projects?

Ours starts after our Mock examinations..

In 3 weeks I think =/

we put in quite abit of work cause it was emphasized to be very important as it was the only time we are assessed on personal skills. the topic given to my batch was "environment" and we completed the lab work and presentation all in one day. we had two weeks to think through and submit our equipment registration form to the labs. and the report we wrote was a full one- from background info to hypothesis to eventual conclusion and discussion:)

• 3 weeks later...

What are your group 4 project topics and sub-topics on which different groups are doing? Is it also possible to post any Group 4 report samples in chemistry and biology?.

We did ours on windmills. 'generally', physical effects, chemical effects (pollution and death of birds) including the environmental effects =)

• 3 weeks later...

heres another question: when are you meant to have the group 4 projects done by?

because we're currently in the 2nd week of the 3rd term of the 2nd year (in other words, more than halfway through IB2)

AND, we STILL haven't done our group 4 project?! in fact our teachers haven't even mentioned it, they're too caught up in getting us started on our ia's since we're so far behind.

so,....are we screwed?

EDIT:

hurrah! we're finally starting our group project

we found out about it today in chem which went along the lines of this:

you have a group 4 project

we will be going to the 'pond' (i swear its a bog, the water is black) in the middle of the school

make groups of 4 and make sure that someone does every science

this friday will be 'group 4 project day'.

lesson 1 is for planning, 2 through to 3 (incl. morning tea) is for data collection, 4 through to most of 5 (incl. lunch) is for processing as well as creating a powerpoint and poster. at 2:30 presentations begin (pst. we finish school at 8:20)

go.

love my school = ="

Edited by Chelleee

We had to do our group 4 project on shrimp numbers in a stream and what affected them. Within this my group did about the chemical levels of the water and the possibility of eutrophication in Selbourne stream, even though only one of the members in our group did chemistry, I do Biology and our other group member does Environmental Systems.

I'll attach a copy of our presentation, but there was a lot more talking going on than what was here, it took about 5 minutes, which was apparently the right length but I felt it was quite short.

Group4.ppt

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ours is this weekend (saturday and sunday) and the topic is Darling Harbour.

Since there's no physics people at my school it's just me (chem) and two gio people in my group, and I don't think it's meant to be taken that seriously. All that is being marked for our IA's is personal skills, which has nothing to do with quality or anything. I think i'm going to be doing voltaic cells to devise a reactivity series of metals that can be found on ships in the maritime museum in darling harbour, and the biologists will look at how the water of the harbour does something to the ships I think. I'm not really sure :P

EDIT: We ended up answering; How does the corrosion of the metals on the ships at darling harbour affect the quality of the water there in regards to pH? It wasn't too hard and I think we did it well.

Edited by laryxle

• 1 month later...

XD:D And what is this G4 project :D

It can be done in slightly different ways, but to evaluate your personal skills in lab situations, you're put in a team and you come up with an experiment that has aspects of the different sciences your school offers. [That's how my school does it, more or less.] Don't worry about it too much. It's usually a lot of fun, or as much fun as something that involves a lab report can be. And it's usually really easy. Why would you want to pick a super complicated experiment? :D

hey. i really need help with the g4 project idea. our group was assigned with 'sport'.

The idea really needs to come from your group. What about sports interests you? What have you considered so far? What kinds of resources do you have? For example, there's a creek a few feet from my school, and we used it last year for G4.

Wow, I am impressed with all of the different topic, but floored on how IB can be so variant among the schools. My school's science department certainly isn't having us adhere to a specific theme. We just divided into groups representative of each scientific discipline and were instructed to come up with a "topic" and a research question and then create an experiment to answer the question. Frankly, I just don't think it was explained very well, but now I can kind of see how everything is supposed to fall into place once I see all of the different topics here. I'm a little worried now, actually.

My group is researching bio-luminescent bacteria and the effects of certain environmental factors (like acid rain, for example) which would affect its capacity to glow. I feel like the idea needs some heavy refining. Could anyone help?

My group is researching bio-luminescent bacteria and the effects of certain environmental factors (like acid rain, for example) which would affect its capacity to glow. I feel like the idea needs some heavy refining. Could anyone help?

If it helps, my class was told that we had to collect some sort of quantitative data for each experiment, so I'd try and find a way to get numbers from your experiment. If you have enough bacteria, maybe a calibrated CBL would be able to detect the intensity of their glow? (Can anyone confirm whether it would be strong enough?) Also, I would probably pick one manipulated variable and stick to it. For example, you might want to pick acid rain as your environmental factor, and test different pH levels. So your experiment would be some response of the bacteria as a function of one specific factor.

Not sure if that helps :S

Our class chose the topic "superheroes". We figured that it would be broad enough to justify almost any sort of experiment while doing something unusual as compared to previous topics such as "potatoes" or "water".

Also, we are presenting the projects to some ninth graders, so the topic caters to them in a way.

Good luck with your projects everyone!

Our class chose the topic "superheroes". We figured that it would be broad enough to justify almost any sort of experiment while doing something unusual as compared to previous topics such as "potatoes" or "water".

WOW! That is an awesome topic! Our was almost as random, considering last year's class got 'Environmental Issues'.

Our topic was: Colour.

Our subtopic was: The Effect of Chlorine on Hair Colour, which sounds boring, but our experiment had some pretty cool results! :hug:

• 2 months later...

WOW! That is an awesome topic! Our was almost as random, considering last year's class got 'Environmental Issues'.

Our topic was: Colour.

Our subtopic was: The Effect of Chlorine on Hair Colour, which sounds boring, but our experiment had some pretty cool results! :blush:

Our topic is "Made in China" which can be literally anything! We got to choose our topic for our grade we were given choices of Sports Science, Made in China, Color, and Natural Disasters!

Environmental issues sounds so over done by the looks of other posts.

Can't wait to do G4 in 4-5 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Are we supposed to have free reign over our topics? My school forces us to do something with water testing and then all the groups have to do the tests based on the same conditions. We all do different tests for water quality, but everything else is the same.

As far as I understand, the school often picks a general topic, such as "water" or "superheroes" and then from there it is all up to the student

Our school took an interesting approach this year, giving us an entire day off other classes, and we spent only that day working on our G4, with our presentations that evening. I think that was really good because we didn't have any homework, and we got it over with in one day, whereas last year's candidates had to do it over spring break and as usual, ended up procrastinating and not doing very well, haha.

Since the Olympics were happening during the same week only one province away, our school's topic was the Olympics, and we got to choose 'sub topics' regarding the same (: our group researched Zambonis (or ice resurfacers, as we found out they are actually called), looking at the fuel consumption and why the 'environmentally friendly' resurfacers ended up malfunctioning several times over the course of the Olympics.

Other groups looked at the various sports, facilities, and so forth, it was super awesome (: the craze of the Olympics around that time certainly made us more motivated and I think the time constraints helped us out immensely.

That one day idea sounds interesting! Like most schools, ours was done over a few weeks and writing the report over the holidays definitely lead to some procrastination...

My group had a similar investigation to yours; our topic last year related to the environment, so our group chose to focus on fuel combustion and the environmental impacts. We tested diesel, biodiesel and ethanol as alternative fuels, and examined rate of combustion, visible pollution that was produced and the heat emitted during combustion. We evaluated the results of all these factors to recommend the most environmentally friendly fuel to use for our school's sport-bus transport.

If anything, it was fun to do a whole lot of burning!

That one day idea sounds interesting! Like most schools, ours was done over a few weeks and writing the report over the holidays definitely lead to some procrastination...

My group had a similar investigation to yours; our topic last year related to the environment, so our group chose to focus on fuel combustion and the environmental impacts. We tested diesel, biodiesel and ethanol as alternative fuels, and examined rate of combustion, visible pollution that was produced and the heat emitted during combustion. We evaluated the results of all these factors to recommend the most environmentally friendly fuel to use for our school's sport-bus transport.

If anything, it was fun to do a whole lot of burning!

Since ours was a one day thing, not many groups did experiments so they were generally not expected because our teachers knew we wouldn't have the time/resources so in a way we were really well off. Also we didn't have to do a written report of any sort, just a sort of presentation like a powerpoint or a poster or something ..