NYU- Can I get in with the following classes and grades?

halfehaid

Hi!

Im in my junior year (11th grade) of high school, so first year of IB, and I am planning on applying to NYU as my first choice! Do you think I would have a chance of getting in with the following classes and grades (as of right now-- they will improve by next year):

- History HL (5) -- maybe, and I'm praying, it will improve to a 6

- English HL (7) -- might go down to a 6 during the year, but I can keep a 7 as an overall grade.

- Spanish AB (6) -- very likely to go up to a 7

- Theatre HL (7)

- Math SL (6)

- Biology SL (7)

My major is going to be undecided because I really don't know what I want to major in :S

One important thing to consider is that NYU recognizes the academic intensity and the rigorous curriculum of the IB. Which is a plus for you.

Looking at your grades, i can say they are good. If you can maintain them it would be great!

But what is even as important are your SAT's. Be very careful about that, US universities take Standardized testing seriously.

And there are endless factors to be taken to consideration. Your Essay, EC's, Personal Characteristics, and so on.

Hope this helps,

-Fiz

Edited by Fiz
  • Like 1

Fiz is correct regarding standardized testing, however this is not true of NYU. NYU will accept you on your IB grades alone, so there is no need to report standardized testing. good luck

Yes, i acknowledge the fact that NYU does not need Standardized testing. Yet, i have heard from many people that your Standardized testing scores can make it alot more attractive. A friend of mine who applied NYU ED got rejected and regrets not sending in SAT scores.

1800 for NYU is not very competitive, considering that low 600s on each subject is the 25th percentile/bottom quartile of all admitted applicants to NYU. If you study for a month in the summer, you should get ~2000, which would put you in a much better position. Can you afford NYU though? They are one of the most expensive universities for international applicants, and they don't give out much FA to internationals.

You're going to have a great time with it. my advice, try to ACT before even committing to this bias test. i guarantee you that you will find it much easier and universities hold it in the same, if not higher regard as prestigious ones will take the ACT instead of SAT + 2 Subject tests. Message me if you have any questions regarding the ACT or admission in general.