Exploration : Stuck with a glimpse of an economics topic

AgnieszkaG

I am struggling to decide upon a decent topic for my Mathematics Exploration. I want to employ some economic theory into my investigation, as Economics is my HL subject and I want to apply calculus in the work. I was thinking about taking a firm such as Monsanto, regard as a monopoly, and pose some question about its efficiency or something. I could take real life figures about the sales from the Internet, and then make graphs or functions and calculate whether the revenue covers the costs etc. I could add some details like "will it pay off for Monsanto to sell their products at a price for a luxury car".

Do you think any of this makes sense? Please help, I feel I'm making some mistake in this and cannot see where.

Using economics is a good idea but make sure that your exploration concentrates on maths. You will get marked you down if you go off topic. Also make sure to choose something that allows you to explore areas of calculus that you have not covered in your syllabus or that require you to really make an effort, that's the whole point of the exploration, hence the name.

Here are some topics you could use

http://www.eabstudents.fr/file.php/853/List_of_Potential_Topics_for_the_Exploration_1_.pdf

• Like 1