Applying for Uni in the UK with Certificates

ferhat123

Hello all,

So I've had all summer to write my EE on ITGS and kinda messed up by not doing it. The first draft is due in on the the 20th and I'll probably rush myself into finishing. However, I am thinking of dropping to the Certificate program because I am struggling with Biology HL and I'm not in any way thinking of pursuing a career involved with Biology. The only reason I chose it was because my school was only offering a limited number of subjects and it was the only one I could pick. So my real question is, have you got any information about universities that accept Certificates while applying? Or if you guys have any suggestions which could help me I would seriously appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!

Hi Ferhat123, I think you can be admitted to universities onto foundation courses in the UK with a certificate.

I know from my cousins that a lot of them used the Cypriot National System to apply to UK universities because it was easier with the admission and easier to get higher grades. Are you having to do both examinations as well? You could opt to have the IB subjects as extra qualifications in your application?

Hello,

I haven't dropped to certificate yet, I'm trying to decide whether I should or not. If I do, I don't have to rush my EE. But if I don't, I have to take my Biology HL exam in may which I am near to clueless about. So instead of failing I would rather just not take the lesson but if it means that I cant get into uni, well, then I'd have no choice..

Personally, I wouldn't if I were you. The bottom line is you're better off with a full diploma than a certificate but if you're that clueless with Bio HL which is quite a large amount of material as I understand, than you might not end up with a diploma anyway.

I would say speak to your teacher or university counsellor. I know for a fact some Cypriot students applied to UK unis with the Cypriot national grades or final exams what ever they're called, and used their A-levels/IB grades as an application booster. Can you do that as well?

What is it you are applying for ?

The thing is, I don't really want to drop down because I've already completed my CAS and most of my coursework for certain subjects. It's just the Biology, that is literally it. And I go to a private school so I don't do any other exams unless the school suggests it and there was no suggestion made. And I'm looking to go for either Information Technology or Sound engineering/Music technology.

If I were you I would drop the Bio to SL and change the Spanish to HL. It's not a lot more work to move from SL to HL in an AB initio language, just will be annoying catching up but I can imagine it being marginally simpler to cover that material than struggle through a HL science which you don't even need.

Would your school allow you to do it?

My school isnt offering it, I've already asked them about it..

That's really annoying, how do you feel about being an independent candidate for it or what ever it is called when you find your own supervisor for it.

I don't think the difference is that big for them not to offer it. It makes stupid sense to take a HL science when you don't need it.

http://www.ibo.org/diploma/curriculum/group2/Languageabinitio.cfm

^^ Ab initio is SL-only.

EDIT: Just to add, I would suggest continuing with the Diploma if at all possible. Basically in the UK almost everywhere expects the Diploma for almost any course. My friend even had to have the whole thing just to study Photography! Unless you have a qualification other than the IB which is also recognised by UK Universities, then the low value that's given to certificates in terms of UCAS points and also the fact most basic offers demand the Diploma means that it's almost definitely worth continuing with the whole thing. If you have the concurrent Cypriot qualifications that LC mentioned, then you can see if that works - but otherwise I'd definitely stick with the Diploma! Certificates and JUST certificates with no other qualifications will put you in a difficult place for applying to the UK.

• Like 1