May 2013 Official Results Thread

So, here are my results:

Lithuanian A: Literature SL - 7 (My mom is a philologist, she would've killed me if I had got anything else but 7)

English B HL: 7 (meh, B)

Psychology SL: 6 (WOW, having in mind that I didn't even bothered to read the whole core material, not to mention the option and I didn't attent a single class during the year 2, haha)

Chemistry HL: 7 (I was expecting that, although paper 2 was definitely NOT a piece of cake)

Biology HL: 6 (I'm really disappointed with this one, especially that my IA's score fell from 39 to 33, that's bizarre, because my teacher has 10 years of experience with marking IB labs etc)

Mathematics SL: 7 (nothing too impressive, actually)

Chemistry EE: A (Quantitative Determination of Ca2+ and Mg2+ in Various Types of Milk by Complexometric Titration) (WOOOHOOO, after all the effort I put in my EE, it really paid off!)

TOK: B (Couldn't really ask for more, I uploaded the very first draft of my essay 1 hour before the official deadline, and I got a B, which is excellent, having in mind that I sincerely hate TOK)

OVERALL: 43, bilingual diploma awarded :mark:

• Like 1

Hey quick question Pepe how did you get your bilingual diploma? was it because you took multiple classes in english?

Her 'A Language' is Polish whereas the rest was taken in English ;).

Have sb even got a 7 on Biology HL? I was actually REALLY satisfied with me performance on papers and got 40 sth (44? 45?) point for IAs and yet nope.

Edited by lilianna009

Computer Science HL : 7

Math HL : 5

Physics HL : 6

French ab initio : 7

English A SL : 7

ITGS SL : Pending (Predicted 7)

TOK (Introducing imaginationation as a WOK) : A

EE ITGS (Effect of social media on Hinduism) : D

TOK EE : 2

Total Points: 34 + Pending ITGS

I spoke to my IBC regarding my pending ITGS grade and he said that there was a "clerical issue" and that "the IBO has given no definite time frame for releasing the ITGS grade". Is anyone else facing the same issue with ITGS? Or a similar situation with any other subject?

Got my breakdown! It's a lot to type, so I'll just put my subject marks.

Math HL - 84 (7)

Economics HL - 91 (7)

Music HL - 83 (7)

Spanish SL - 81 (7)

Chemistry SL - 87 (7)

EE (Music) - 27/36 (B)

ToK presentation - 20/20 (A)

ToK Essay - 36/40 (A)

My coordinator refused to tell me my english marks, nor the boundaries. However, she said that I was 2 marks away from a 7. Should I bother remarking?

• Like 2

Got my breakdown! It's a lot to type, so I'll just put my subject marks.

Math HL - 84 (7)

Economics HL - 91 (7)

Music HL - 83 (7)

Spanish SL - 81 (7)

Chemistry SL - 87 (7)

EE (Music) - 27/36 (B)

ToK presentation - 20/20 (A)

ToK Essay - 36/40 (A)

My coordinator refused to tell me my english marks, nor the boundaries. However, she said that I was 2 marks away from a 7. Should I bother remarking?

If you really want that 45 so badly, then you should do it.

I got my breakdowns as well. Very pleased with my A1 language (aced it, got all 7s there), English B HL was a pleasant surprise as well (although my IA was a 6, I managed a surprising 93% on P1 and went very close to score full marks on P2 and the WA). Economics was surely on the boundary, got 76% at SL for a 7, with a 6 in the IA and what I suppose to be very low 7s on P1 and P2. I got the same result as yii yann for Chemistry and surprisingly enough no downgrade. Physics was a tad disappointing, there was a fairly big downgrade on the IAs and I bombed my P3, luckily I really aced P1 and P2, and still secured a 7. Math HL was a tad disappointing as well, got a 7 in all the papers, though I feel I underperformed compared to my mocks for what concerns the % (and my IAs got downgraded from a 7 to a 6...).

It seems I got pretty lucky with getting all 7s.

My EE was a B with 26/40, I find it pretty unfair really, but I accept it. Still waiting for my ToK though, I feel I got robbed there :D

EDIT: Got my ToK mark, I got 31/60, which is a low C. But I got 20/20 in the presentation and 11/40 (!) in the essay, whilst I was predicted an A with 34/40! O_O

Edited by Zarathustra

Yes, I got the Bilingual Diploma because my first language is Polish and I did other subjects in English.

I received the breakdown today and maybe someone will be interested in it:

ENGLISH B HL – grade 6 (86%, 1.9% away from 7!)

GEOGRAPHY HL in ENGLISH – grade 7 (79%)

HIST.EUROPE/ME HL in ENGLISH – grade 7 (64%)

BIOLOGY SL in ENGLISH – grade 7 (84%)

MATHEMATICS SL in ENGLISH – grade 7 (89%)

POLISH A: Literature SL – grade 7 (86%)

EE/TOK points: 3

THEORY KNOWL. in ENGLISH – grade A (47)

POLISH A Extended Essay – grade A (36/36, CANT BELIEVE IT :DD)

• Like 1

Regarding retakes, do you redo just the exams or the IAs ande everything else? Also, is it possible to redo TOK and the EE? I'm just wondering.

You re-take just the exams. And to my knowledge, no you can't re-do TOK or the EE.

You can re-do the EE; a friend of mine did it since his first EE was completely messed up.

Regarding retakes, do you redo just the exams or the IAs ande everything else? Also, is it possible to redo TOK and the EE? I'm just wondering.

You re-take just the exams. And to my knowledge, no you can't re-do TOK or the EE.

From what I know, you can redo the exams, or exams + IAs. You can't redo IAs alone. One of my seniors from last year missed out on 7 in econs by like 2%, and it was mainly cause he failed his IAs. He had to redo both his IAs and papers for his retakes.

Also, if I am not wrong, you can redo both ToK and EE.

• Like 1

From what our IBC sent us:

You cannot re-do ONLY IAs. But if IAs are satisfactory you can take the papers alone

If you re-do IAs you must submit completely new work

If you want to re-do TOK essay it must be on a new topic from the list for Nov13

You can re-do EE but on the same subject - the topic may be new or you can simply improve the essay submitted

Fees: http://ibpublishing.ibo.org/xwiki/bin/view/Handbook/A6.11+The+scale+of+fees

• Like 1

TZ2 applies

Bio HL - 6 (predicted 7)

Chem HL - 7 (wtf, even tho i was predicted 7)

Eng B HL - 6

Math SL - 7 (92% overall, say no more)

Swedish Lang Lit SL - 5 (thank god for that)

Physics SL - 6 (dissapoint)

TOK - B (predicted D)

English B EE - B

overall 37 + 2 = 39

also downgraded in my IA's like a ****ing idiot: 7pts in physics, 5pts in bio, 4pts in chem, 4pts in math.

Edited by iloveindia
  • Like 1

Got my component grades the other day.

English A: Literature SL - 86 (7)

Spanish AB. SL - 94 (7)

History Asia/Oceania HL - 73 (7)

Psychology HL - 59(!!) (6)

Physics HL - 77 (7)

Mathematics HL - 69 (6)

EE - Psychology - 29/36 (A - looks like I just barely scraped it :P)

TOK - 48/60 - B (presentation 20/20 and essay 28/40, even though it was predicted 35/40. Seems like the markers are indeed strict this year)

According to my coordinator a 7 in HL Math is 76 and in HL Psych is 66, in case anyone needs it :)

To be honest I'm quite shocked with Psych because I was pretty confident about my papers, yet my P1 was 22/46 (I really have no idea what went wrong here since my mocks was 40/46 T__T) and P2 was 30/44 (mocks was 36/44). My IA got moderated down 6 marks as well. I was a bit apprehensive about my Psych teacher's marking standard since she has only taught the course for 3 years and she's not an examiner unlike most of my other teachers, so I guess some of this is understandable but I really wish I could see how they marked P1. I was hoping to remark this for a 44, thinking I was only a few marks off, but I'll certainly accept what I have now since it still exceeded my expectations.

Also the moderators seem fairly harsh this year. Most of my IAs were moderated down, mostly only 2-3 marks but my English orals and Psych IAs were moderated down 6 marks o_O

• Like 1

Got my component grades the other day.

English A: Literature SL - 86 (7)

Spanish AB. SL - 94 (7)

History Asia/Oceania HL - 73 (7)

Psychology HL - 59(!!) (6)

Physics HL - 77 (7)

Mathematics HL - 69 (6)

EE - Psychology - 29/36 (A - looks like I just barely scraped it :P)

TOK - 48/60 - B (presentation 20/20 and essay 28/40, even though it was predicted 35/40. Seems like the markers are indeed strict this year)

According to my coordinator a 7 in HL Math is 76 and in HL Psych is 66, in case anyone needs it :)

To be honest I'm quite shocked with Psych because I was pretty confident about my papers, yet my P1 was 22/46 (I really have no idea what went wrong here since my mocks was 40/46 T__T) and P2 was 30/44 (mocks was 36/44). My IA got moderated down 6 marks as well. I was a bit apprehensive about my Psych teacher's marking standard since she has only taught the course for 3 years and she's not an examiner unlike most of my other teachers, so I guess some of this is understandable but I really wish I could see how they marked P1. I was hoping to remark this for a 44, thinking I was only a few marks off, but I'll certainly accept what I have now since it still exceeded my expectations.

Also the moderators seem fairly harsh this year. Most of my IAs were moderated down, mostly only 2-3 marks but my English orals and Psych IAs were moderated down 6 marks o_O

-..- I feel the same way

I had two anticipated subjects this year, Math SL and French SL.

Math SL is an easy course (7), but two of my school's four IB classes got moderated down for our French Orals. Fortunately, I scraped a 6, but for most of my friends, this made them go down to 5s and 4s. Considering that our school has been historically good at french (80% of 98 got a 6 or above), either our teachers or the moderators were pretty ridiculous this year!

• 3 weeks later...