Biology HL TZ1 paper 1 and 2

Guest Fiorella

Guest Fiorella

Hey guys! So I think paper 1 wasn't so bad, probably got a 5 on it...but paper two really screwed me over >.< I was prepared to find those DNA questions on section B they always put only to find that the questions this year were like...nothing I had really prepared for lol.

• Like 2

Guest canada2013

I thought paper 1 was really good, I only thought a couple of questions were tricky. Paper 2 was different from other years in content. There was no DNA as you said, nor homeostasis on the nephron or pancreas which I really like. I ended up choosing number 5 on plants and number 8 on respiration

I thought both went quite well. :) I was definitely expecting biology to be my hardest exam, as there seems to be so much to memorise, but I was surprised. I was scared for section B extended response, but it ended up being easier than section A for me. :P I did #7 on evolution and #8.

My last exam was this morning. :D I survived IB!

• Like 1

I looked at #7 and as soon as I saw the word evolution I crossed it out. I can never remember evolution well enough to do extended response questions on it. I ended up doing 6 and 8, they were pretty easy. And part A wasn't too shabby either. I think I got perhaps a 6, so now I'm completely letting myself go and aiming for like a 3 in chem. :P

• Like 1

I definitely thought Section B for paper 2 was easier than Section A. But I don't particularly like data analysis so that's why I didn't like that section too much. Paper 1 was alright, the beginning was definitely easier and it gradually got harder, in my opinion. Some were like I have no idea and some I knew right away. It was a so-so paper, it could definitely have gone better but it wasn't completely horrible either.

Guest canada2013

I looked at #7 and as soon as I saw the word evolution I crossed it out. I can never remember evolution well enough to do extended response questions on it. I ended up doing 6 and 8, they were pretty easy. And part A wasn't too shabby either. I think I got perhaps a 6, so now I'm completely letting myself go and aiming for like a 3 in chem. :P

Same, chemistry will be the death of me :P

Pretty much same here! Paper 1 wasn't that hard although there were a few tricky ones! Section A paper 2 was not to difficult, and section B was a dream! I mean, plants and photosynthesis is something you always expect, as well as genetics. I did questions 5 and 6 from section B but I was surprised as well to see that there was no biochemistry, proteins, and so little physiology!

Remember the question from paper 1 with the yellow flowers and the species? What did you answer there? I answered that that they both are angiosperms because of the flowering..

• Like 1

I found paper 1 to be extremely easy. Paper 2 was really random, they asked about Cnidaria and Mollusca out of all the possible things they could ask, it was annoying

I found that question odd as well. I hadn't seen them ask that before on past exams, and I wasn't even aware we had to know them! I didn't remember learning animal phyla, so I definitely lost a couple points there.

Pretty much same here! Paper 1 wasn't that hard although there were a few tricky ones! Section A paper 2 was not to difficult, and section B was a dream! I mean, plants and photosynthesis is something you always expect, as well as genetics. I did questions 5 and 6 from section B but I was surprised as well to see that there was no biochemistry, proteins, and so little physiology!

Remember the question from paper 1 with the yellow flowers and the species? What did you answer there? I answered that that they both are angiosperms because of the flowering..

I put they are both angiosperms too. :D And I was surprised and even annoyed there wasn't much biochemistry. All of that time spent memorising and identifying different structures gone to waste. :dash:

Edited by wjw
  • Like 1

I put they are both angiosperms too. :D And I was surprised and even annoyed there wasn't much biochemistry. All of that time spent memorising and identifying different structures gone to waste. :dash:

That's a relief!! The first ones were also with the diagrams, and the t-test... I know there was so much to ask us about and yet they spent time asking us about the structure of a snail XD Anyway, the pain of two years is almost done!

Guest Fiorella

I answered the same!

• Like 1

Guest Fiorella

I agree with most of you here, paper 1 was definitely easier! Although I did get that stupid t-test question wrong...out of all the other questions they could have ask why that? >.<

Paper 2 section A was pretty easy in my opinion because well it's all in front of you it's just a matter of analyzing...but that's just me. Paper 2 though...let's just say I only knew how to draw the diagram of the leaf, the evidence for evolution and the mendel's-meiosis one. THAT'S IT. I screwed over section B for sure.

For the magnification question on paper 1, what did you all put? I put C...0.7 mm. I had to guess because I skipped that one since I had completely forgotten about magnification as well.

I agree with most of you here, paper 1 was definitely easier! Although I did get that stupid t-test question wrong...out of all the other questions they could have ask why that? >.<

Paper 2 section A was pretty easy in my opinion because well it's all in front of you it's just a matter of analyzing...but that's just me. Paper 2 though...let's just say I only knew how to draw the diagram of the leaf, the evidence for evolution and the mendel's-meiosis one. THAT'S IT. I screwed over section B for sure.

For the magnification question on paper 1, what did you all put? I put C...0.7 mm. I had to guess because I skipped that one since I had completely forgotten about magnification as well.

A classmate of mine put 0.7mm too but I have no idea :P So it's probably that! What was the answer to the t-test, it was so hard!

Guest canada2013

A classmate of mine put 0.7mm too but I have no idea :P So it's probably that! What was the answer to the t-test, it was so hard!

Nope! The answer to that question was B 0.07mm. The cell was 70um and to convert into mm you divide it by 1000 which makes the answer B. I saw that exam same question in a past paper

Guest Fiorella

The answer was that the mean difference was not significant or something like that! I know, it was so easy yet so hard :( I completely forgot to study t-test stuff...didn't think it was gonna be on the exam! I got that one wrong :(

• Like 1

The answer was that the mean difference was not significant or something like that! I know, it was so easy yet so hard :( I completely forgot to study t-test stuff...didn't think it was gonna be on the exam! I got that one wrong :(

Yeah I had sort-of ignored the t-test... I knew there would be one question on it so i only knew the basics. I guessed that the mean difference is not significant but it was a wild guess!!!